How Do I Thicken Tomato Soup
This Tomato Basil Soup should already be thick and creamy due to the flour, half and half/heavy cream and Parmesan, but if you would still like a thicker soup you can use any of these methods:
- Cornstarch: Remove some of the pureed soup and whisk in 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch with a fork until smooth then whisk it back into the soup. Simmer for 5 minutes or so until thickened.
- Flour and butter: Mix equal parts flour and softened butter together with a fork so it becomes a thick paste and almost forms a ball. You will want 2-4 tablespoons each, depending on how thick you want the soup. Add it to the soup stir, and simmer for 5 minutes or so until thickened.
Serving Creamy Tomato Soup
Theres no right or wrong way to enjoy this tomato soup, but my personal favorite is with a low carb grilled cheese. All you do is cut open a Josephs pita, stuff it with your favorite cheese , then grill it in butter. Talk about the ultimate in comfort food meals!
Another option is to pair it with a delicious entree salad or a cucumber tomato salad. The crunch and chill of fresh vegetables pairs beautifully with the velvety smooth texture of hot soup.
And, of course, you could serve a cold cut sandwich on my favorite low carb sandwich rolls.
How will you enjoy this low carb tomato soup recipe?
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Copycat Chicken Gnocchi Soup – a warm, creamy copycat version of the Olive Garden favorite.
- Homemade Vegetable Soup – quick, easy and always a favorite. This classic soup will warm you up on a chilly night.
- Split Pea Soup – packed with extra savory flavors, cooked with bacon. The hardest part is waiting for it to simmer.
- Crock Pot Corn Chowder – super simple, classic chowder that’s cheap and easy to make but packed with warm, comforting flavor.
- Jalapeno Popper Soup – creamy, cheesy and spicy this soup is inspired by your favorite appetizer.
You May Like: Eye Of Round Roast With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
A roasted tomato soup with summer’s fresh plum tomatoes or roma tomatoes is such a treat however, it’s not always realistic. After all, we love to enjoy a bowl of creamy tomato basil soup year-round — even when we don’t have loads of sweet red tomatoes hanging on the vine. Instead, this quick and easy recipe takes advantage of convenient canned tomatoes for a flavorful, delicious pot of soup in about 30 minutes. Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side and you cant find an easier, faster, or more family-friendly weeknight meal!
To Make Roasted Tomato Basil Soup:
Recommended Reading: Knorr Vegetable Mix Gluten-free
For Slow Cooker Tomato Soup:
You can also make Tomato Basil Soup in the Instant Pot!
What Youll Need To Make Chilled Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
You could definitely make this soup with fresh tomatoes since theyre in season but I cheat and use Pomi boxed tomatoes. Theyre all natural and dont contain citric acid or additives like the canned variety they also dont need to cook as long since they dont have that tinny taste from the can.
You might be able to find them at your regular grocery store my local Giant carries them right near the canned tomatoes or you can always find them at Whole Foods.
You May Like: Campbell’s Broccoli Chicken Casserole
Best Tomatoes For Tomato Bisque
To get the absolute creamiest soup use meaty tomatoes that have been peeled and seeded. Roma tomatoes work well, but so do meaty heirloom.
This summer I was given a surplus of cherry tomatoes thank you Monica! I put them in this soup without peeling or seeding, because small tomatoes are a pain to peel and seed, and you lose a lot of volume by discarding the seeds from cherry tomatoes.
The results, while not exactly creamy, were still better than anything you can get from a can.
How To Serve Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
You can serve your tomato soup plain, or topped with crispy croutons, freshly grated Parmesan, and fresh chopped basil.
It also pairs well with a green salad and crusty bread, or a classic grilled cheese. Or go the extra distance with a grown-up grilled cheese like this 5 Cheese White Pizza Grilled Cheese.
You May Like: Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
How To Make Tomato Soup
Pro Tip: If you prefer a chunky soup with bits of tomato , you can skip the blending step and proceed with adding cream and parmesan then season to taste.
Ingredients Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
The best part about this tomato basil soup recipe is how simple the ingredients are. Were using all fresh ingredients that still create an incredible flavor and texture. This tomato basil soup is wonderfully creamy without any cream or dairy ! Heres what youll need:
- Fresh tomatoes: tomatoes helps them to sweetened and slightly caramelize leading to a sweet, rich tomato soup flavor.
- Garlic: lets not forget about how delicious roasted garlic is. The sweet, lick-your-finger good flavor is essential to this recipe and its easy to roast right alongside the tomatoes.
- Fresh basil: basil has a slightly sweet flavor and should be added to the recipe before serving, as too much heat can remove the flavor of it and sometimes turn it slightly bitter. This herb also helps to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Onions: this was one thing I did that was a little different was the addition of caramelized onions! The sweet onions are caramelized, then blended into the soup. AMAZING!
- Additional soup add-ins: I like to use vegetarian broth, but feel free to use water if youd like. Youll also want some dried oregano and plenty of salt & pepper.
- Optional add-ins: Ive included optional ingredients that you can add to the soup to make it your own in the ingredients below! If youd like, this is your chance to get a little creative.
You May Like: Campbell’s Beef Enchiladas
What To Serve With This Tomato Basil Soup
Of course, youre more than welcome to make a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it. My favorite lately has been sprouted bread, pepper jack, turkey, spinach, sliced tomato, dijon mustard and a drizzle of honey. SO GOOD. Here are some more sides to serve with:
If you make this easy tomato basil soup recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and rate the recipe! You can also snap and picture and post it on using the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen. And of course be sure to follow on . xo!
How To Serve Tomato Soup
- Grilled Cheese tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches are the perfect match .
- Parmesan add shredded parmesan while the soup is hot so it melts over the top.
- Fresh Basil sprinkle the top with thinly sliced basil.
- Croutons sprinkle crunchy croutons over the soup.
- Toast simple toasted bread or crostini are great for dunking into the soup.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Baked Chicken And Rice
How Do You Thicken Tomato Basil Soup
Tips For The Best Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- Usehigh quality canned tomatoes for the best results .
- Start with room temperature cream . Room temperature cream or half-and-half is less likely to separate or curdle when added to the hot soup.
- Dont use milk in lieu of the cream or half-and-half. Milk doesn’t have enough fat to yield the same rich, creamy flavor and texture.
- Don’t omit the sugar. It’s important to use sugar in tomato recipes in order to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. The end result is a more complex, richer tomato flavor.
- The total amount of seasoning necessary will depend on the saltiness of your broth. Taste the soup as you’re cooking it and season with salt and pepper as you go. This is a matter of personal preference, so you can make your soup as salty as you like.
Read Also: Campbells Broccoli Chicken Rice Casserole
Why You’ll Love Tomato Basil Soup
- Tomatoes are basically Italian medicine. Okay, medicine might be a stretch. But whoever said an apple a day keeps the doctor away just hadnt discovered the glory of Roma tomatoes yet. They have antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that support heart health and can reduce your risk for cancer!
- Its fresh andcheap. I love tomato basil soup because it saves me money , andits better for me than buying the packaged, processed version in stores that usually contain refined sugar. Its a win-win.
- Meal prep for a fast frozen dinner. Prepping and freezing meals is one of the best things you can do for your time, health, and sanity. This tomato basil soup freezes and reheats well, so make a bigger batch and can enjoy it on a rainy day when you don’t have time to go grocery shopping.
The Difference Between Tomato Soup And Tomato Bisque
Tomato soup is broad term that refers to any soup in which tomatoes are the primary ingredient. Tomato bisque is a type of tomato soup. While some tomato soups are made with a thin, tomato-based broth, tomato bisque is smooth, creamy, and highly seasoned. In either case, tomatoes are the star of the show! This easy tomato basil soup recipe is similar to a bisque, thanks to the pureed texture and the splash of cream that you add at the end.
You May Like: Campbell’s Cheesy Chicken And Rice Recipe
How To Freeze Tomato Basil Soup:
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
This Creamy Tomato Soup is easy, comforting, and has a rich flavor profile. Watch the easy video tutorial and youll be craving a bowl of tomato soup paired with a gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
My husband never loved tomato soup until he tried this Creamy Tomato Soup. The addition of parmesan and just 1/2 cup of cream makes it so satisfying. Its also a quick and easy 30-minute soup that keeps well in the fridge. We love it all year round and whip up a batch any time we are craving Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Nutrition Label
Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
When I was younger, I despised tomato soup. The flavors never seemed to call for me, nor did I ever crave grilled cheese.
My favorite was Moms chunky beef stew that simmered and bubbled on the stovetop for hours in our small yellow duplex kitchen back in Minneapolis. It wasnt until high school that I began to crave the comfort of creamy tomato soup after Mom started buying Progressos hearty tomato.
In fact, I remember us making cheesy pepper jack quesadillas and canned tomato soup on a frequent basis. Mom worked a lot to support our family and during my teenage years, the two of us didnt have much time to enjoy meals together. Quick and easy was exactly what we needed.
Today, Tony and I still buy canned or boxed soup. We have nights where were depleted of energy and need something quick and easy to nourish ourselves. Even though I have a food blog, it doesnt mean Im making dinner every single night.
Sometimes my days are focused on baking, snacks or breakfast, and by the end of the day, the last thing Im thinking about is what to eat for dinner.
However, when I do have time to make a good tomato soup, I get a little giddy inside.
And since its finally tomato season, I couldnt help but present this beautiful bowl of tomato basil soup to you. Its homemade, made with fresh tomatoes that are roasted to perfection in the oven. Mmmm.
How To Store Low Carb Tomato Soup
If youre in the mood to make a huge pot of soup so that you can set some aside for later, this is an easy soup to make in bulk.
Once it cools, simply ladle it into mason jars or your storage of choice. Itll keep in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for several months.
When you reheat it, you may need to blend it up again as sometimes the cream cheese needs to mixed back in. Another option is freezing it without the cream cheese and adding it just before serving.
Read Also: How To Make Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix
Is Tomato Basil Soup Good For Weight Loss
The anti-oxidants in it not only help to prevent colds, coughs, and flus, but they also aid in weight loss. As tomato soups replenish nutrients lost in the body, they are truly helpful. In essence, it helps cleanses the body, so it burns fat as a result. It doesnt feel as heavy a burden to use your stomach to fill your soup bowls when theyre full.
How To Make The Best Tomato Basil Soup
Recommended Reading: Dolly Parton Weight Loss