Gluten Free Egg Drop Soup
Traditional egg drop soup uses soy sauce for the salty umami flavor. Soy sauce is not keto because it has both soy and wheat which can be inflammatory on a keto diet. In order to combat this but still have a traditional flavor we chose to use coconut aminos. Coconut aminos are a low carb gluten free option for those who want a soy sauce replacement. It is not sugar free, but is lower in carbs and works well in keto recipes. If you prefer a less sweet soy sauce replacement you can try tamari which is packed with salty flavor and is 100% gluten free. While wheat free, it does still contain soy. Weigh out your options and pick whichever flavor and ingredients you prefer.
What Is Bone Broth
Make this egg drop soup with nutrient rich chicken bone broth. Bone broth is made with the meat and bones of a chicken. This makes the more gelatinous and filled with the collagen from the bones. You can easily make chicken bone broth using a whole chicken by boiling in a stockpot or slow cooker for 8 hours or in the instant pot for 2 hours.
Is Keto Egg Drop Soup Healthy
This particular 5-ingredient keto egg drop soup is incredibly healthy. As a matter of fact, here are 3 proven health benefits that this egg drop soup offers:
- Rich source of antioxidants. This egg drop soup is made with a variety of ingredients that are loaded with disease fighting properties. Garlic, ginger, green onion, and olive oil are all especially rich sources of antioxidants that have been found to help protect against various types of disease.
- Promotes heart health. This egg drop soup also goes a long way towards keeping your heart healthy. Fresh garlic and ginger have both been found to be particularly beneficial when it comes to preventing cardiovascular disorders like heart disease and stroke.
- Eggs are a legitimate superfood. It goes without saying that egg drop soup will provide all of the same great benefits offered up by eggs in general. Im of course referring to the fact that eggs are ridiculously nutrient-dense theyre a great source of protein, quality fat, dietary cholesterol, choline, and other essential vitamins and minerals.
Don’t Miss: Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Gluten Free
How To Make Egg Drop Soup
This easy low carb egg drop soup recipe comes together so quickly and can be made as a last-minute mini meal or as a dinner side. You probably already have many of the ingredients, too.
Ill walk you through how to make egg drop soup:
- Make the egg drop soup broth. In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, coconut aminos, mushrooms, onions, ginger, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add eggs to this low carb egg drop soup. Whisk together the eggs in a small bowl. Slowly pour the egg into the spoon while stirring, to create ribbons of eggs.
- Season. Add sea salt to taste. You may not need it, so sample it first, then add salt to taste.
Arent you impressed? This 5 minute keto egg drop soup is fast enough to make for an easy lunch or dinner side!
Egg Drop Soup Recipe Instructions
Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a medium-sized soup pot.
Stir in the sesame oil, salt, sugar, and white pepper.
Add in the turmeric or yellow food coloring, if using. Using turmeric or yellow food coloring gives the soup that rich restaurant-style yellow color but this is optional.
Taste the soup, and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Next add the cornstarch slurry.
Make sure the cornstarch and water is mixed well, as the cornstarch settles very quickly. Stir the soup continuously as you drizzle in the slurry, or youll get unpleasant clumps of cooked starch in your soup.
Use more or less starch if you like a thicker or thinner soup. You can also add the starch in a couple small batches, let the soup simmer for a couple of minutes, then check to see if the consistency is to your liking.
For more detailed information on the many ways to use cornstarch to get authentic results at home with our recipes, see our post on How to Use Cornstarch in Chinese Cooking.
Now were ready for the most exciting part: the egg.
This recipe calls for the egg to be slightly beaten, which results in both white and yellow egg swirls. The speed at which you stir the soup when adding the egg also determines whether you get large egg flowers or small egg flowers .
This is more a matter of personal preference than correctness. If you vary the speed at which you stir the soup, youll get both.
Some people even prefer chunks of egg in their soup, so do whatever suits your preferences!
What Are The Ingredients In Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- A good quality of chicken bone broth homemade Chinese chicken bone broth will be my first choice. The next best thing is a great store bought bone broth such as kettle and fire and other great choices on the market.
- Chicken thighs Before you wonder why using chicken thighs? Let me tell you this is the secret to set your Egg drop soup apart from others, plus the juicy flavorful shredded chicken makes the soup extra nutritious and more satiating!
- Ginger and Scallions they are used to fragrant the broth and are discarded afterwards.
- Turmeric powder A small amount of turmeric powder adds extra golden color to the soup!
- A thickener Traditionally people use cornstarch to make a slurry. In the Paleo/Whole30 world, we use arrowroot or tapioca starch. And if you are on low carb/Keto, skip the thickener or sprinkle ¼ tsp of xanthan gum to thicken the soup.
- Eggs fluffy silky whisked egg ribbons make the soup extra comforting.
- Toasted sesame oil a little finishing touch to make the soup taste extra authentic. If you cant have sesame oil, dont worry. My grandmas egg drop soup is so flavorful even without the sesame oil.
Instant Pot Keto Egg Drop Soup
Posted on Last updated:
Craving egg drop soup? Consider whipping up this Instant Pot Keto Egg Drop Soup. Loaded with all the authentic flavor of egg drop soup, that is keto-friendly.
This is an authentic egg drop soup recipe that you can make in your Instant Pot.
My egg drop soup is full of authentic flavors, that will leave you wanting one more bowlful. If you are on the Ketogenic diet, check out these other recipes. Instant Pot egg roll in a bowl, keto cheesecake, or make spaghetti squash in your pressure cooker.
Recommended Reading: Campbels Chicken And Rice
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Mushroom Soup Mix
The Best Keto Egg Drop Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
This comforting keto egg drop soup recipe is not only nourishing but tastes like the real deal! You wont be able to taste the difference between our easy egg drop soup recipe and your local Chinese takeout place!
Is This Soup Safe For A Liquid Diet
With a few modifications, you can safely enjoy this Egg Drop Soup recipe on a low carb and liquid diet. Many restaurants will give the option to omit the eggs and just enjoy this as a Hot and Sour Soup.
If you’re worried about picking around any solids, you’ll love that you can make this recipe at home! I’ve included instructions for making this liquid diet compliant and how to add the perfect selection of low-carb ingredients for when you’re ready to reintroduce some soft foods and solids.
Don’t Miss: Burger Recipe With Onion Soup Mix
Can You Make Easy Egg Drop Soup Ahead
Yes, you can make this recipe for homemade egg drop soup ahead! I dont recommend adding the eggs in until right before serving, but you can make the quick and easy egg drop soup broth ahead of time.
Store it in the refrigerator, and when youre ready to eat, simply re-heat the broth in a saucepan and then stir in the whisked eggs and serve.
What To Make With Keto Egg Drop Soup
Egg drop soup is a traditional Chinese soup, so we prefer sticking to an Asian keto recipe theme. Some of our favorite keto main dishes to pair with this Chinese low carb egg drop soup recipe are:
- Cauliflower Fried Rice Our cauliflower fried rice is packed with Asian flavors like garlic and sesame oil. You can even make it a protein rich meal by adding in grilled chicken or seared pork belly.
- Sweet and Sour Pork If you are a takeout lover this ones for you. It has the perfect balance of sweet, salty, and sour in the glaze. All of which pair beautifully with the fresh cauliflower rice on the side.
- Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps Want a lighter dinner of soup and wraps? This quick and easy to make egg drop soup is the perfect partner for our peanut chicken lettuce wraps. You get a hefty dose of protein and fats to keep you full without feeling stuffed.
- Low Carb Orange Chicken-Another Chinese classic, orange chicken makes a delicious protein rich meal. We use fresh ginger and garlic as well as a homemade gluten free breading on this Chinese chicken recipe.
All of these keto recipes make great gluten free options for those looking to complete their egg drop soup meal. They are each made with tons of fresh flavors like ginger and sesame, to give you a flavor explosion in every bite.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
How To Make It
Add the broth, green onion roots, and seasonings to a bot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to let the soup simmer.
Whisk together the eggs and egg yolk in a bowl.
Use a wooden spoon to stir the chicken broth in one direction in a circle. Slowly pour the eggs into the soup while youre still stirring.
Pour the soup into 2 bowls and serve with green onions on top.
Our Top Tips For Making The Tastiest Keto Soups
Making your own soups from scratch is a great opportunity to flex your creative keto muscles.
You can easily customize most keto soup recipes by either adding or subtracting ingredients in order to come up with your own out of this world soup flavorings. With that in mind, here are some of my top tips for making the tastiest keto soups:
- Experiment with different types of broth. Chicken broth offers a much different soup flavor than beef or vegetable broth would.
- Experiment with using both fresh and dried herbs. Fresh herbs obviously work great for garnishment but dont sleep on how savory your soups can end up with even just a little bit of dried herb seasoning added.
- Dont be afraid to take constant taste tests! As your soup is cooking, you should be constantly tasting it and adjusting seasoning amounts as necessary.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Customizing Easy Keto Egg Drop Soup
If you made this egg drop soup recipe and are looking for even more delicious ingredients to add, check out our list of customizations below:
- Broth Try changing up the broth! Traditionally we use chicken broth, but bone broth or vegetable broth all make great options to add instead.
- Vegetables Vegetables may not be the first thing you think of in egg drop soup, but they do make a great addition to a variety of keto recipes. Some keto friendly vegetables we love and have added in the past are mushrooms, green onions, zucchini, and bok choy.
- Garnishes A good garnish is super important in homemade meals. Some of our favorite recipes have added garnishes like green onions, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.
- Protein Not only does protein make a complete meal, but it also bumps up the satiety factor and flavor of the dish. Try to add chicken, cooked salmon, or seared pork belly to new recipes in order to make a really standout dish.
There are endless combinations of ingredients you can use to make new recipes out of our egg drop soup base. Feel free to get creative and let us know how you made your perfect soup below.
What Is Egg Drop Soup
A light fragrant soup is a must-have on Chinese family dinner tables. They are often served as a starter. Egg drop soup is the most basic and simple soup, made with chicken bone broth, scallions, ginger, and fluffy delicious egg ribbons and a touch of toasted sesame oil.
Recommended Reading: Can You Have Tomato Soup On Keto Diet
Why I Love Bone Broth
In this soup, Bone Broth is the star of the show. And, in my opinion, Bone Broth is one of the greatest superfoods ever. Its basically just a broth thats had bones simmered in it but
- Rich in protein, collagen, gelatin, and various vitamins and minerals.
- Very healing for the gut.
- Immune-boosting .
- Great for detoxing and healing.
- Good for joints and inflammation.
- Helpful for weight-loss and/or maintaining a healthy weight and metabolism.
- Allowed in all THM fuel-settings , Keto, Low-carb, Paleo and allergen-friendly.
To read more on the benefits of Bone Broth, check this out.
What To Serve With Egg Drop Soup
This keto egg drop soup recipe is a great side or starter. Here are some great keto dinner recipes to go along with it:
- Sesame Kelp Noodles After your easy egg drop soup course, finish off your meal with these noodles. Yes, they are keto approved and full of delicious sesame flavor.
- Asian Turkey Meatballs Add these meatballs alongside homemade egg drop soup and sauteed broccoli for a great small-plates meal eaten with chopsticks and spoons!
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef You can pair this simple egg drop soup recipe with another easy, hands-off recipe. Serve the beef over cauliflower rice or sauteed broccoli.
- Egg Roll In A Bowl This recipe took the internet by storm and for good reason. ITS SO GOOD! It takes all the goodness from egg rolls and repackages it into a low carb bowl.
- Korean Ground Beef Bowl So easy to make that you can fix it while youre sipping on your homemade egg drop soup.
What do YOU eat with egg drop soup? Let me know in the comments if you have other ideas.
Recommended Reading: Aldi Cream Of Chicken Soup
Phonomenal Beef Noodle Soup Bowl
- Rice Noodles
- Soup Base Pack: salt, sugar, beef tallow, dried beef stock, chicken tallow, dried chicken broth, spices, yeast extract, fish sauce , hydrolyzed vegetable protein, torula yeast, onion, garlic
- Dried Vegetable Pack: dried cabbage, green onions, onions
- Contains fish
- Packaged in a facility that processes milk, nuts, soy, wheat, and fish
Nutrition Facts :
- Calories: 200
- Protein: 0g
How To Make Low Carb Egg Drop Soup
To make this soup, add chicken broth, sesame oil, ground ginger, and soy sauce to a large saucepan. For the broth I highly recommend Kettle & Fire their products are SO good! Bring to the boil, then reduce it to a low simmer.
Beat two eggs in a cup or bowl. Swirl the soup in one direction, and slowly pour the egg into the swirling soup. That’s where the name comes from!
Once the egg has formed into strands, add some finely chopped green onions and test for seasoning. Add salt and white pepper as necessary.
This recipe serves four people as an appetizer or two for a lunch.
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Roast Recipe Oven
Comforting Keto Egg Drop Soup
The first time I was introduced to Egg Drop Soup was when I was in my early 20s and a friend worked at a high end Vancouver restaurant.
They made it for me and I couldnt believe how easy and simple it was. Broth, eggs, lots of pepper and a sprinkle of green on top for visual appeal.
To this day I still make it when I have a cold or feel like just having a fast and hot bowl of keto compliant soup.
Why This Recipe Works
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional- red pepper flakes, sriracha sauce
Easy egg drop soup is very easy to double or triple! As written, the soup serves four 1 cup servings.
Some egg drop soup recipes use cornstarch as a thickener, we love this soup as is and dont feel it needs thickening, so this is also a low carb egg drop soup recipe without cornstarch. We do tell you how to add it in the recipe instructions, by chance you want it a little thicker.
If you dont have fresh ginger but you do have dried ginger, you can swap the fresh for 1 tsp of dried ginger. One of my favorite cooking hacks is to buy frozen grated ginger from Trader Joes, no grating required! We just pop the 1 tsp cubes into the pot.
Read Also: Weight Watchers Potato Soup Hash Browns
Egg Drop Soup Magic Discovery
This recipe has made it on our Top 10 Best Low Carb & Keto Recipes of 2018, and was first discovered by my daughter, who went to a friend for a play date. Came home and all she could talk about was the best soup ever she had.
After a few phone calls with my friend, who told me it was a simple Bone Broth, which my daughter does not like in our house, my friends mentioned adding an egg into it.
An egg? In the bone broth?