Loaded Baked Potato Soup
If you love baked potatoes with all the fixings, then youll love this soup! Loaded Baked Potato Soup is thick and creamy, packed with cheese, bacon, and sour cream.
Guys, its definitely soup season around here. Its basically all I want to eat right now because it is so darn cold outside.
And lucky for me, my fam is completely content with soup being dinner.
Whether its tomato soup with grilled cheese or Zuppa Toscana with crusty bread and a salad, were all on board with soup season.
Whats In Loaded Baked Potato Soup
I am not exactly going to say no to any bowl of potato soup. I mean, you know I love soup recipes especially in the winter and I definitely love potatoes.
But theres really something special about a bowl of Loaded Baked Potato Soup.
I mean, come on. Creamy potato soup with all of your favorite baked potato fixings mixed in? Thats the dream.
To play up the loaded part of this soup, my recipe uses:
- Cheese cheddar for sharpness and Velveeta for creaminess
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Sour cream
And of course I like to add on some green onions and an extra dollop of sour cream when I serve it!
What Ingredients Go Into Potato Soup
- Meat We used bacon in this recipe, you can substitute bacon for cubed ham, if desired.
- Potatoes you can use Russet, Idaho or Yukon gold potatoes. NOTE: If youre using Yukon potatoes, the skin may be left on.
- Veggies Though we only added onion and garlic, you can add cubed carrots and celery to the soup.
- No Cream Required! Instead of using heavy whipping cream. Make a roux to thicken the soup with butter, flour, broth and milk
- Cheese Mild cheddar or sharp cheddar is great.
Read Also: Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Gluten Free
What To Serve With Potato Soup
Potato soup is so easy to make but one of my favorite comfort foods. This soup is simply the best.
I always like to serve soup with something for dipping. Also, toppings are always a great idea for a bowl of potato soup.
You will love how each of these ideas are very simple to make. Dinner time will be super easy but very delicious.
Notes On Some Ingredients:
- Milk & Cream: you can use any milk of your preference, I would recommend using a 2% since we are adding cream. You can of course use whole milk and not use the cream. Or use any combination.
- Onion: this can always be swapped out for leeks for a sweet, earthy flavoring to the soup.
- Flour: we are using this in combination with the sour cream and the potatoes themselves to make the broth thicker.
- Potatoes: Gold Potatoes are the best option due to their low starch, they hold their shape well when boiled.
- Cheese: for more flavoring use an Extra Sharp Cheddar, for a more mild flavoring use a Sharp Cheddar.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Easy Sour Cream Recipes
Sour cream is one of my favorite ingredients. I love to use it as a condiment and as an ingredient to cook with as well. It has an acidity that many recipes can benefit from, and the twang it adds to a dish is irreplaceable.
This list is filled with recipes with sour cream, with everything from main dishes, side dishes, and even desserts.
Theres even a recipe for a vegan sour cream substitute you can make for yourself at home if you have a sensitivity to dairy or choose a vegan eating style.
A lot of these recipes are extremely affordable and dont use any specialty ingredients. Theyre also quick and straightforward dishes to throw together. I hope you find inspiration in this list to use up that sour cream container sitting in your fridge!
Smothered Sour Cream Chicken
This smothered chicken recipe will become a regular in your dinner rotation.
Chicken is baked under a creamy, cheesy sauce that not only keeps the chicken nice and moist but also imparts a rich and succulent flavor.
You can mix up the seasoning blend as you like, for example, swapping out the oregano and basil for chipotle powder and paprika.
I like to serve this with mashed potatoes to add the creamy sauce from the chicken to them. Yum!
Sharing unique ideas for recipes online is one of the best things to come out of the internet age, and this recipe is a great example.
I love egg noodles they have the best bouncy texture and pair perfectly with creamy sauces.
This recipe bakes egg noodles with ground beef and tomato, sour cream, and cheese sauce.
This is a great dish to serve with warm sourdough toast and a side salad. However you do it, its sure to be a big hit around your dining room!
Sour cream rice may not sound like a familiar recipe, but this will become one of your favorites, flavorful side dishes.
This rice is cooked in chicken stock and mixed with sour cream, green chiles, corn, and cheese.
I like to serve this with a side of black beans and corn tortillas for a plant-based dinner.
You can mix in other ingredients like roasted peppers or a can of tomatoes as well. If you want to make this a one-pot meal, try mixing in some shredded chicken!
Recommended Reading: Ben And Jerry\’s Turtle Soup
Sign Up For My Recipes Here
Dan and I decided to go rogue for V-Day. No perfume or roses, no pressure either. We both had a crazy busy week and because we were traveling to Sacramento on Friday, we decided we’d do Valentine’s Day then.
That works, right?
So instead, I thought I’d make soup for dinner Thursday night. This is one of our favorites so I knew Dan would love it.
I was busy making soup and had it just about finished when Dan came home with dinner – a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. He said it’s no big deal, but I thought if I did this you wouldn’t have to cook, but it’s ok… we can eat soup instead.
Meanwhile, he was unwrapping the sandwich and put it on a plate. I took my half and enjoyed a big bite.
Soup and sandwich for dinner instead! Life is what happens when you’re busy planning, right?
The furry family comes out of the woodwork for this soup, can you see Sylvester sitting on the windowsill wishing he could get a bite?
One last picture of Mama’s little helper…..I’ve mentioned this before, but we have dogs & cats – it’s often challenging to take a picture with so many helpers nearby. Dudley was just dying for a taste! This picture is too cute not to share!
Best Potato Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My husband goes CRAZY for this loaded potato soup! You cant beat the creamy rich broth with tender bites of potato and loaded with cheese and bacon.
Potato soup is the ultimate comfort food and one of the few soups I can eat all year long even on the hottest days of summer. Oh, who are we kidding. I eat all the soups all year long. Make this with some garlic knots for sopping up every last drop!
Also Check: Potato Soup With Cubed Hash Browns
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
I was so surprised at how quickly this comfort food recipe came together.
She has a brilliant tip microwave your potatoes to cut down on the cooking time. I quickly zapped my spuds in the microwave while I was cooking up some bacon on the stove top. Before I knew it, the soup was ready!
The only thing I did change about this recipe was that I left some of the potato skins on the potatoes. We love the texture of them and I liked how it gave the soup a little more depth.
Its obviously totally optional and would be amazing either way.
But seriously guys, you need this book! Its filled to the brim with not only 100 mouthwatering recipes, but also some super cute and totally do-able crafts to go along with them! Im super excited about the possibility of these easy crafts making me look like a modern day Martha Stewart to all my friends.
Its the little things.
Dont hesitate. Buy this book now. Get it on your Christmas wish-list! Or better yet, buy one for someone that you love! You wont regret it!
What Are The Best Potatoes To Use In Potato Soup
- Russet Potatoes – first choice, hands down! The only downside is you’ll need to peel them. But that will only take a few extra minutes. A russet potato is very starchy and will help you thicken the soup without having to add flour or cornstarch. It’s also the most affordable option
- Yukon Gold Potatoes – another great potato that you won’t have to peel. These potatoes have a great creamy texture. They are a little starchy and would help thicken the soup. This variety is my second choice for a creamy easy potato soup.
- Red Potatoes – when scrubbed well, you won’t have to peel them , these work if you don’t want to run to the store.
Dicing the potatoes small will lessen the cooking time. Bonus? You can get a big scoop on your spoon! Simple, basic ingredients – you probably have everything in your fridge and pantry – so why not make this for dinner tonight?
Want all of my tips and tricks to make the BEST soups from scratch?
You May Like: Egg Drop Soup Mix Walmart
Whats In This Easy Potato Soup
I can rave on and on about this easy potato soup because Alex made this recipe! Somehow, he stumbled upon the perfect combination with this one: a healthy spin, big flavor, and its easy to make. Those are the type of recipes were obsessed with: we even wrote a book about it! Here are the potato soup ingredients that make this soup shine:
- Shallots and garlic. Shallot is a mild version of an onion, and it works well here to add a delicate savory flavor, along with garlic.
- Roux . A roux is flour cooked with butter thats commonly used to thicken soups. This is less of a traditional roux here, but its the same concept: its added to give a creamy body.
- Milk + vegetable broth. No heavy cream here! Just 2% milk and vegetable broth. Because the main thickening comes from the
- Potatoes. Youll mash down much of the potatoes to become the creamy body of the soup.
- Old Bay. Our secret spice? Old Bay! Its often used in American chowder recipes, making it the perfect fit here.
Can You Make Potato Soup Ahead Of Time
You can prepare this dish a day or two in advance. For best results, youll want to stir the cream cheese in right before serving. I like to heat the cream cheese separately with a little bit of water or milk , then stir the liquidy cheese into the soup.
If you need to make the soup in its entirety ahead of time, thats fine too, just be aware that there could be some separation. Heating and stirring gently should remedy this. Try not to boil.
If you want a chunky potato soup with large bites of potato, skip the blending step!
Also Check: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Tips For Making The Best Potato Soup
Use waxy yellow or Yukon gold potatoes. Yellow/gold potatoes are a medium-starch potato. They contain more moisture than a higher starch potato . This makes them a great choice for soups because they they dont fall apart as easily are perfect for thickening the soup and leaving the rest in chunks.
How do I make this soup in 30 minutes? The key to making this soup quickly dice your potatoes in small chunks. The smaller the potatoes are diced, the faster the soup will cook! The longest part of making this potato soup is boiling the potatoes until soft.
Use evaporated milk or heavy cream. You do not want to use regular milk as your soup will not be as creamy. I highly recommend using evaporated milk or substituting it with heavy cream or even half and half.
Dont forget the toppings! The freshly chopped green onions or chives, crispy bacon and cheddar cheese take a good bowl of potato soup to an amazing bowl of potato soup. Dont skip them!
How Can You Make Potato Soup Healthier
You can definitely lighten up this soup with a few easy shortcuts.
- Skip the pork bacon and top with turkey bacon instead.
- Use light cream cheese and light shredded cheese to top.
- Swap a dollop of sour cream for a dollop of 0% Greek yogurt.
- Replace half the potato with cauliflower florets.
Make it spicy potato soup by adding chili flakes, or a couple tablespoons of sriracha sauce.
Go vegetarian by swapping the bacon for mushrooms .
Do a light potato soup version with light cream cheese, low fat cheddar, and turkey bacon.
Give it some Mexican flair by stirring in a packet of taco seasoning.
Prepare it lower carb by swapping half the potato for cauliflower!
If you prefer a smooth soup, go ahead and blend the whole thing instead of just half.
Also Check: Roasted Corn And Poblano Soup
How To Make Creamy Potato Soup From Scratch
Weve already shared our Sausage and Potato Soup with you. Now its time to share this easy, creamy, and luxurious potato soup.
Once you see how easy it is to make this soup, youll be making it all the time! The soup is simple so the ingredients you use matter. Heres the rundown for you:
Potatoes: You can use any type of potato, but we highly recommend using Yukon Gold potatoes. Theres no need to peel them, and when cooked, they are buttery and almost melt in your mouth. We use Yukon Gold potatoes to make mashed potatoes and these crispy roasted potatoes, too. If you cannot find them, baby red or white potatoes, as well as russet potatoes, will work.
Veggies: Sure this is potato soup, but we love to add a few cups of extra veggies. Onions are a must, carrots add color and some sweetness, and chopped celery add flavor and texture.
Butter and Flour: Its the combination of butter and flour that thickens the soup. We like to use unsalted butter for this and then adjust salt to taste when making the soup. That said, salted butter will work if that is all that you have. If you need the soup to be gluten-free, no problem! Weve added tips for omitting the flour in the recipe below.
Stock/Broth: For the most flavor, use a good quality chicken stock from the store or use homemade. When reaching for store-bought broth, we go for low-sodium. We also look for a store-bought broth thats darker in color and since it usually has more of a backbone, we like to buy boxed bone broth .
Really Theres No Cream
Really, theres no cream in this easy potato soup! The combination of 2% milk, vegetable broth, butter, and the potatoes mashed in the pot make up the rich and creamy texture. Theres a little over ½ tablespoon butter serving, so its a very moderate amount for the amount of richness and creaminess here!
Why no cream? Well, Alex and I do use cream in some of our recipes. But healthy soup recipes are our jam, so using milk cuts down on the calories and richness. Plus, we often have milk on hand! Heavy cream is a special ingredient we dont often buy.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Best Ways To Top Easy Potato Soup
The second best thing about potato soup, other than being deliciously creamy, is the toppings! Here weve listed our very favorite ways to load up this soup:
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt. For a healthy spin, we like using Greek yogurt! It tastes the same as sour cream with a little more tang. Its also a great source of protein.
- Shiitake bacon. Might sound odd, but making bacon out of mushrooms is a thing. It gives just the right savory, smoky edge to this soup. Of course, if you eat meat you can add straight up bacon!
- Shredded cheddar cheese. To us, this gives the best flavor, protein, and overall color to a potato soup.
- Thinly sliced chives or green onions. Onions bring the best fresh flavor and lovely green as a soup topping.
Theyre pretty classic , so were certain we havent thought of everything. Serve with garlic bread for a total comfort food meal. Let us know your favorite potato soup toppings in the comments!
The Best Potato Soup Recipe
Homemade potato soup is so easy to make from scratch and beats any restaurant soup. The base is so creamy, hearty and filling. Its like a delicious loaded baked potato with all your favorite toppings but as a soup, yes, please!
The soup uses ingredients you most likely already have at home and can be made so quickly, great for busy evenings.
You May Like: Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Gluten Free
Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
If youre on the hunt for the best sour cream recipes, this recipe will need to be on your radar! Its called million-dollar chicken for a reason, this recipe tastes like it was created for a king, but it is made with inexpensive ingredients you can find at any grocery store.
The surprise here is the crispy, buttery topping that comes from Ritz crackers, dont skip this!
This is the perfect recipe to throw together if you have some leftover cooked chicken from a previous dinner in the fridge.