How To Make Roasted Red Pepper Soup Step By Step Photos
Dice one yellow onion and mince four cloves of garlic. Add the onion and garlic to a soup pot with 2 Tbsp butter and sauté over medium heat until the onions have softened.
Once the onions have softened, add 2 Tbs of all-purpose flour and continue to sauté for about two minutes.
Transfer the onion mixture to a blender and add one drained 12oz. jar of roasted red peppers.
Purée the peppers and onions together until smooth.
Transfer the roasted red pepper mixture back to the pot. Add one 28oz. can crushed tomatoes, 1/2 tsp dried basil, ¼ tsp dried thyme, ¼ tsp freshly cracked pepper, and 2 cups vegetable broth. Stir to combine and dissolve any flour left on the bottom of the pot.
Heat the soup over medium, allowing it to come up to a simmer. Simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Finally, taste the soup and add salt or other seasonings to your liking
Serve hot with bread for dipping! I garnished my bowl with a little drizzle of olive oil and some more freshly cracked pepper.
Immune Boosting Tomato And Red Pepper Soup + Video
Soupis comfort, warmth and tasty goodness all in a bowl. But did you know that besides that, if you make it right, your soup can be immune boosting too? One of my favorite soups is tomato soup. Specifically, tomato red pepper soup. And Im not talking about the stuff in the can either. Im talk about homemade, bursting with flavor, nutrition laden, belly filling, immune boosting tomato red pepper soup.
This is by far one of may favorite and popular soup recipes ever. And if you like health immune boosting recipes, youll also want to download my free e-cookbook.10 Easy and Healthy Recipes Your Family Will Enjoy, to make sure that you dont miss out on another tasty recipe.
And be sure to so that you dont miss a thing.
Contrary to popular belief, most tomato soup recipes are really not all that healthy. They are filled with unwanted fats and sugar. This recipe for tomato soup is dairy free, vegan and of course good for you.
I paired vine ripened and roma tomatoes with red peppers, fresh herbs, garlic, sea salt and all the good stuff.
Popped it in the oven to slow roast at 300 degrees for 2 hours and my house smelled like a pizzeria. It must have been the fresh oregano, thyme and garlic.
Cranking it up to 400 degrees just didnt do it for me. The flavors were like night and day.So what are you getting in a bowl of this soup? Tomatoes are filled with vitamin C and of course lycopene which is known to be cancer fighting.
Roasted Tomato And Red Pepper Soup Ingredients
- Tomatoes Any with a good flavour, big or small. It doesnt matter if they are a bit past their best and looking a bit tired, or even if are not quite ripe.
- Red peppers or yellow or orange. It doesnt matter if they are past their best and starting to soften or wrinkle. What they lose in crispness, they often gain in sweet flavour.
- Onions & Garlic Red or white onions, shallots, or even a leek or stick of celery. Use what you have.
- Herbs Ive used a mix of thyme and oregano, but any Mediterranean/Provençale mix would be ideal. Tarragon or basil lends a touch of summery aniseed flavour.
- Stock/Broth Use your favourite.
- Lemon Add a squeeze of juice at the end. Lemon or a drop of apple cider vinegar works as a flavour enhancer in much the same way that salt does. Lightening and brightening the entire dish. Try it it makes a massive difference.
You May Like: Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Recipe Onion Soup Mix
How To Make Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup: Step
Variations On Your Tomato & Pepper Soup
You can add all sorts of lovely, summery ingredients to your soup – how about:
- Chilli – add a fresh red chilli to the soup just before blending for a spicy kick
- Aubergine and/or courgette – give the soup all the flavours of ratatouille with an aubergine and courgette or two roasted in with the tomatoes and peppers.
- Pine nuts – top your soup with roasted pine nuts for a crunchy topping
- Sun-dried tomato paste – really intensify the tomato flavour by blitzing 2 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste through the soup at the end of cooking.
Recommended Reading: Non Condensed French Onion Soup
How To Prepare Homemade Croutons
Since we started making croutons at home, we haven’t bought premade ones anymore. They are so easy to make and you can customize them to your taste. For this recipe, as we are already using the oven, you don’t even have to heat the oven just to make the croutons.
We use Chapata bread to prepare our croutons. We find that white bread works better than brown, but feel free to use any type of bread you like. Cut the bread into slices and then each slice into cubes .
Transfer them into a baking tray, add some olive oil, dried herbs of your choice and bake for about 8 minutes at 180ÂºC.
You can serve them immediately with your soup or store them using an air-tight container for 2-3 days.
How To Make Tomato And Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Roast the tomatoes and red bell peppers. Because I make stashes of blended roasted tomatoes and freeze them to use in soups, stews, and pasta all winter long, I usually do these two roasting tasks separately.
The homemade tomato sauce truly makes a difference. Youll need 2 cups of tomato sauce for this recipe, so about 2 pounds of cocktail or medium-sized tomatoes, 1 head of garlic, and fresh herbs. Drizzle with olive oil and roast at 400°F for 40-45 minutes. Blitz in a blender with a few of the roasted garlic cloves and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
To roast the red bell peppers, simply place them on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 30-40 minutes. Rest, then pull the skin from the membrane and discard the stems and seeds.
Read Also: Campbell Cheesy Chicken And Rice
Why Youll Love It
- Creamy, without dairy, using cashews for all that luscious texture youre looking for.
- Its healthy and wholesome, low in calories and low in fat with an oil free option, too.
- Bursting with flavour! Kind of hard to believe how a few simple ingredients transforms into a bowl of absolute deliciousness.
- Simple to make with no complicated steps. Just roast, blend and enjoy.
- Naturally gluten free, dairy free, vegan and vegetarian friendly, soy free, and corn free. That makes this dish free from common allergens and suitable for most eaters.
- You can make it in advance and it freezes well too!
Can You Freeze This Soup
Yes this Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup freezes really well.
Make sure you put the soup in the freezer within two hours of it finishing cooking. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer.
When you want to eat the soup, defrost it in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight. Make sure the soup is piping hot before serving.
Don’t Miss: Dry Leek Soup Mix Substitute
Why Use Roasted Red Peppers In A Jar
I chose to use roasted red peppers from a jar instead of fresh red bell peppers for this soup for 2 reasons. The first is that it is way easier to use pre-made roasted red peppers.
The main reason that I use jarred roasted red peppers is that they have a deeper flavor since theyve been jarred and stored. The jarred peppers give it that iconic roasted red pepper soup flavor.
You can use fresh red bell peppers and have the peppers roasted in the oven or on a gas stove top at home.
Mediterranean Tomato & Red Pepper Soup
The traditional Mediterranean diet is characterised by an increased intake of plant foods such as fruits and vegetables, bread and cereals , legumes and nuts. And olive oil is the principal source of fat. All of these main ingredients of the Mediterranean diet are important sources of dietary antioxidants.
Fruits and vegetables contain most of the vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals that our body needs to be in good health.
Apart from the most widely known antioxidants contained in fruits and vegetables, in olive oil there are other compounds such as oleuropein, hydroxytyrosol and other polyphenols that possess a marked antioxidant activity as well as other advantageous biological properties.
The Mediterranean diet is healthy yet indulgent, with a huge amount of delicious meals what makes it easy to be sustained over long periods of time as an appealing lifestyle.
Today I share with you a tasty and nutritious vegan Mediterranean diet recipe: Mediterranean tomato & red pepper soup. This soup is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols.
If you have ever wondered how you can incorporate a Mediterranean style diet into your everyday meals, you can find plenty of healthy vegetarian and vegan recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine on my blog.
Tomato And Red Pepper Soup
Nothing says home comforts like a bowl of freshly made soup, and this is no exception. Light but filling, its a great way to get some extra veg into your diet. Having said that, theres nothing worthy about this dish.
Bright, zingy and appetising with a slightly piquant edge, my red pepper and tomato soup is like a burst of sunshine on cooler days. The roasted red pepper and tomato gives this soup an intense, concentrated flavour.
This recipe is fantastic for using up veggies, as roasting really makes the most of them. It doesnt matter if they have been hanging around for a while, losing crispness. All that wonderful flavour is still there.
Soup is the perfect lunchtime dish, as it is filling without leaving you tired. If you need to take lunch to work, a flask of soup will set you up for the day, with a nutritious and affordable meal to keep you going through to dinner time.
Roasted Tomato And Red Pepper Soup In Three Simple Steps
- To prepare the cashew cream, blend the cashews with water using a hand blender until you reach a creamy and smooth consistency.
Read Also: Campbells Recipes Chicken And Rice
Freezing Your Roasted Tomato And Pepper Soup
This soup freezes brilliantly, as most do. Simply portion it up into individual pots, .
Make sure you label and date each portion, . And you will have delicious homemade soups to keep you going right through the winter months.
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
“Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice” Hello! Magazine
Please do save this recipe on Sharing my posts helps me to keep creating free vegan recipes!
I love hearing from you! Do send me pictures of your very own roasted tomato and red pepper soup on:
tagging me or using the hashtag #thevegspace to show me how you got on!
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
What To Serve With Roasted Red Pepper Soup
You definitely want some sort of crusty bread, Homemade Croutons, Grilled Cheese, or Pesto Cheese Toast to dip into this awesome soup . A really light and simple side salad would also be a nice way to round out this meal. If you want to get really fancy, you can drizzle a little bit of olive oil or pesto over each bowl of soup for extra color and flavor.
To make pesto toast, just mixed a little extra olive oil into the pesto to make it more spreadable, coated slices of my French bread, then baked at 400ºF for 7-8 minutes.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclaimer here.The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t Miss: Gf Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
How To Make Red Pepper And Tomato Soup Step By Step
Before you start, read my step-by-step instructions, with photos, hints and tips, so you can make this perfectly every time.
Scroll down for the recipe card with quantities and more tips at the bottom of the page.
Step One First prepare the vegetables, ready to be roasted. These can be nice and chunky as we are going to blitz the soup no need for fine chopping here!
- Slice the onion in half, then top and tail to remove the stalk and root. Then peel off the papery skin. Chop each half into quarters.
- Cut the tomatoes in half or quarters depending how big they are, removing any stalks.
- Cut the peppers into chunks, discarding the core, seeds, and stalk.
- Peel the garlic, and chop any large cloves in half.
Step Two Spread the onion, tomatoes, peppers and garlic out in a large roasting pan. Add a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper, herbs, and chilli or paprika if you want to use it. Then drizzle the oil over.
Helens Fuss Free TipYou want a nice big roasting pan so you can spread the vegetables out to a single layer, so they will actually roast. If you cram them in, they will steam. If necessary, use two pans.
Step Three Put the pan in the oven and roast the vegetables at GM 6 / 400°F / 180°C for 35 minutes, until soft and starting to brown.
How To Make It
Start by adding the olive oil and onions to a large pot. Cook for 2 minutes until opaque. Add in garlic, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Then, add the red peppers, roasted tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat, and allow it to cool slightly. Place in a blender, and pulse until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender and puree the soup right in the pot!
Then, add the soup back to the pot along with heavy cream, red pepper flakes, oregano, parsley, pepper, and salt. Warm up the soup on low, if needed, and serve immediately. Dont use higher heat, as it may cause the cream to curdle. Top with feta cheese, croutons, and parsley, and enjoy!
Read Also: Soup Gift Baskets Delivered
A Slight Twist On A Favourite Soup
Tomato soup is often considered the most popular soup here in the UK. A lot of people may reach for a tin of their favourite tomato soup but it is very simple and tastier to make your own!
Heinz tomato soup is so popular but it really is better to make your own. It is healthier and you know exactly what it going in it.
I have added a twist to the traditional tomato soup to make my Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup. The addition of the peppers adds sweetness and a lovely flavour to the soup.
It is so delicious that people will hopefully leave the tins on the shelf!
Why Make Tomato And Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Perfect for using up veggies that are not quite ripe or past their prime.
- This roasted red pepper and tomato soup recipe is delicious and also quite light. Pair with some good bread to impress guests!
- It is packed with vegetables. Each portion contains two of your five a day hurrah for extra veg!
- It is frugal ideal for using tomatoes that are not quite ripe, or past their prime.
- Bright red vegetables like tomatoes and red peppers are packed with healthy antioxidants and other nutrients.
- It is seriously easy, as well as largely hands-off no fine chopping, frying, stirring, or pots to watch! Fuss-free cooking at its finest!
- It is ideal for batch cooking as it can be frozen. Double or triple the recipe to make use of a glut with very little extra work.
Read Also: Fat Dolly Parton
Soup Makertomato And Basil Soup
I love fresh basil and it tastes so good when you cook it in a soup maker tomato soup.
What I tend to do is grab some fresh basil from the kitchen windowsill and then give it a quick wash and then add it into my tomato and red pepper soup at the end.
Then it will be blended with the creamy tomato soup. It tastes so much better this way and you can really taste the flavour of the fresh basil.