Dairy Free Options For Tomato Basil Soup:
If you are looking for dairy free options, you are in luck! Plant based products have come a long way, and you can now find dairy free cream in specialty stores, typically right next to the standard dairy cream. If you cant find any, many grocery stores have their own vegetarian/vegan section where they keep everything, or you may need to visit a natural food store.
How To Serve Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato basil soup needs a great pairing to make a filling meal! Its full of vegetables and nutrients, but its not filling enough on its own to function as a meal . Here are a few ideas on what wed serve with it to make it into a meal:
- Make it a creamy soup. Stir in a bit of heavy cream or cashew cream to make it more filling.
- Serve with crusty bread and cheese. We love a good artisan bread or sourdough.
- Serve with grilled cheese. A classic combo! Might we recommend our tomato basil grilled cheese or avocado grilled cheese.
- Serve with grilled cheese dippers! These pesto grilled cheese dippers are a family favorite.
- Add a tuna melt or Swiss melt. This Swiss melt would be a fantastic cozy accessory.
Tips For Your Tomato Soup:
- Be sure to let the canned tomatoes cook for at least 20 minutes to cook out the canned flavor.
- Also, to avoid burns, make sure the soup is slightly cooled before transferring it to a blender or food processor.
- Fresh ingredients, like diced Roma tomatoes or fresh garlic and onions, can be added to the soup for extra flavor.
- Feel free to use an emulsion blender instead of a counter-top blender or food processor to liquefy the soup.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Soup Pot Roast Oven
What Makes My Secret Ingredient Tomato Basil Soup So Unique
One thing that I forgot to mention is that not only is there a secret ingredient in my tomato basil soup, there is also a secret method. The thing about this soup is that the longer you roast the tomatoes, the more sinfully delicious the pot of soup will be. Take your time, enjoy the process. Massage those tomatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic with some olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper and pop them in the oven on a low heat setting for one hour. The slow baking process helps to caramelize the veggies a bit on the outside and develops more flavor in the tomatoes and brings out its natural sweetness. Theyre wrinkle and cute and loaded with so much flavor when you pull that tray out of the oven. Bonus: your house is gonna smell like a Tuscan tomato field! Theres also zero sugar in my tomato basil soup. Only the natural sweetness from the slow roasting process and the carrots that are going into this soup.
Now, go. Use that hour to its full advantage. Me? > I popped in a quick Gillian Michaels workout DVD that I hadnt done in ages and within 10 minutes I was screaming bloody murder because I couldnt feel any of my limbs. I spent the following 50 minutes cursing Gillian under my breath and vowing to use this DVD sparingly. Homegirl. Im sure youve helped a lot of people, but your beginners level DVD is not for BEGINNERS.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Growing up I hated tomato soup like wouldnt touch it with my spoon tied to a 10-foot pole, HATED IT. Believe me, my dad tried on numerous occasions to serve it to me for lunch. I was always considered a good eater, but it was one of the few foods that I steadfastly refused to eat.
Fast forward about 20 years to a first time random lunch with my hubby at First Watch. I decided to take a little taste of his cup of tomato basil soup, and I had a revelation It was never been tomato soup itself that I hated! Its that icky canned condensed blob of tomato-like substance that my dad always prepared that I despised.
Now? Im a HUGE fan of tomato soup or at least this version. As with so many of my other favorite restaurant recipes, I set out to recreate that lovely creamy tomato basil soup at home. After a few tries, Im pretty sure I nailed it with this homemade creamy tomato basil soup recipe!
This copycat tomato basil soup has totally become my favorite comfort food. And surprisingly , its actually also become a family favorite.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER! .WHILE YOURE AT IT, LETS BE FRIENDS! FOLLOW ME ON FOR MORE EASY RECIPE IDEAS.
How To Make Tomato Basil Soup And Grilled Cheese
This tomato basil soup recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep!
- Sauté aromatics: In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat oil or butter. Add garlic and veggies and cook until fragrant.
- Add soup ingredients: Add the tomatoes, ½ the basil, spices, and veggie broth. Boil over medium-high heat then reduce and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend: Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender, add the remaining ¼ cup of basil and optional parmesan. Blend until smooth.
- Make grilled cheese: Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Melt butter in a skillet then add two slices of bread, butter side down. Top one slice of bread with cheese, then add on the second slice of bread. Cook until the cheese is starting to melt and the bread is golden, then flip and continue to cook until the other slice of bread is golden brown.
- Garnish and serve: Garnish the soup with basil, parmesan, olive oil, croutons, or pesto and serve with the finished grilled cheese.
The Ingredients Needed To Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup:
This homemade tomato basil soup recipe is destined for your regular rotation! Made with fresh basil and roasted tomatoes, it’s lightly creamy and The resulting soup is totally vegan, but thanks to the blended veggies, it’s still creamy and comforting. The roasted tomatoes give it a rich umami flavor. #originalnakedchefOriginal Naked Chef demonstrates how to make a creamy tomato & basil soup easy to follow recipe. How to make creamy tomato basil soup: First, put the diced tomatoes with juice in a large pot.
Also Check: Pea Soup Andersen’s Inn Santa Nella
Need An Immersion Blender
An immersion blender is also called a stick blender or hand blender. Its useful for making pureed soups like this tomato basil soup because you can place it right into the pot instead of transferring hot soup to a blender and then back.
Its also nice for small batch blending like for salad dressings like our raspberry vinaigrette. Because the quantity of ingredients is fairly small, it can be hard to get it to blend in a standard-size blender. So, its nice to have an immersion blender for this type of job! Heres one we recommend:
Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
A roasted tomato soup with summer’s fresh plum tomatoes or roma tomatoes is such a treat however, it’s not always realistic. After all, we love to enjoy a bowl of creamy tomato basil soup year-round — even when we don’t have loads of sweet red tomatoes hanging on the vine. Instead, this quick and easy recipe takes advantage of convenient canned tomatoes for a flavorful, delicious pot of soup in about 30 minutes. Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side and you cant find an easier, faster, or more family-friendly weeknight meal!
Don’t Miss: Olive Garden To Go Soup Sizes
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Ive had a lot of good tomato soup in my day. And this Tomato Basil Soup is right up there with all of my favorites. Its rich and creamy, without any added dairy! Its loaded with so much tomato flavor, aromatic veggies, and fresh basil.
Bonus: its easy to make and consists of basic pantry staples! This soup is also vegetarian and can easily be made vegan with just a couple modifications.
Soup lovers, get ready for this one!
S To Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup:
We used a stock pot over medium heat. Next, puree the tomato mixture and basil leaves. Then pour the puree back into the stock pot. This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with sausage rivals the best restaurant tomato basil soup. The sausage and seasonings give it a rich and hearty Creamy Tomato Basil Soup.
So thats going to wrap it up with this special food creamy tomato basil soup recipe. Thank you very much for your time. Im confident that you will make this at home. Theres gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Dont forget to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!
About The Author
Read Also: Copycat Panera Squash Soup
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
This Creamy Tomato Soup is easy, comforting, and has a rich flavor profile. Watch the easy video tutorial and youll be craving a bowl of tomato soup paired with a gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
My husband never loved tomato soup until he tried this Creamy Tomato Soup. The addition of parmesan and just 1/2 cup of cream makes it so satisfying. Its also a quick and easy 30-minute soup that keeps well in the fridge. We love it all year round and whip up a batch any time we are craving Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes For Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato basil soup is incredibly easy to make and a favorite of many people.
While it might seem like a fairly standard dish, there are some incredible variations out there.
Since tomato basil soup can be served as a side dish, there are endless ways to spice up the soup without sacrificing the main ingredient.
One way to do this is to use side dishes that contrast with the soup.
For example, consider using mashed potatoes instead of bread to round out the meal.
Or serve mashed potatoes with a vegetable, like cauliflower or spinach, to give the meal even more texture.
Another option is to pair tomato basil soup with a salad.
This can be done in many different ways, but just remember that the salad should not be too heavy.
Lighter options such as salad greens and tomatoes are best to go alongside the tomato basil soup.
Don’t Miss: Types Of Soup At Olive Garden
The Difference Between Tomato Soup And Tomato Bisque
Tomato soup is broad term that refers to any soup in which tomatoes are the primary ingredient. Tomato bisque is a type of tomato soup. While some tomato soups are made with a thin, tomato-based broth, tomato bisque is smooth, creamy, and highly seasoned. In either case, tomatoes are the star of the show! This easy tomato basil soup recipe is similar to a bisque, thanks to the pureed texture and the splash of cream that you add at the end.
Tomato Soup + Grilled Cheese
In my opinion, you cant have a bowl of Roasted Tomato Basil Soup without a grilled cheese sandwich on the side. The two are made for each other. I love dunking grilled cheese into a hot bowl of tomato soup. Classic comfort food! Heres one of my favorite grilled cheese recipes Roast Broccoli Grilled Cheese.
More Recipes To Try With This Tomato Soup:
- Easy Green Salad
Also Check: Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
Ingredients For Tomato Basil Soup
Since this is a tomato-based soup, it is important to offset the acidity with some key ingredients. We use a combination of cream, parmesan, and a little sugar to balance the soup.
- Butter use unsalted butter to sautee onions
- Yellow onion it seems like a ton of onion but it dissapears into the soup adding a balanced sweetness
- Garlic youll need 1 Tbsp minced from about 3 cloves
- Crushed tomatoes with their juice, preferably San Marzano tomatoes
- Chicken stock for the best flavor use homemade chicken broth
- Basil chop and add 1/4 cup fresh basil, plus more to serve. Basil leaves are easily bruised so chop by stacking a bunch of leaves then roll them into a log and cut into thin strips.
- Sugar Its just 1 Tbsp, but necessary to combat the tomato acidity.
- Black pepper start with 1/2 tsp and add more to taste
- Whipping cream adds a creaminess to the soup and offsets acidity.
- Parmesan cheese adds saltiness to the soup and balances acidity. Adding parmesan adds enough salt and I usually dont add more.
What Types Of Tomatoes Should I Use For Tomato Soup
My favorite tomatoes to use for shortcut, easy Tomato Basil Soup are two cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes.
These tomatoes offer a huge shortcut from roasting your own tomatoes . Fire roasted tomatoes are gently roasted over an open fire for a great smoky flavor which enhances the sweetness and mellows the acidity no acid reflux tomato soup here!
Also Check: Hamburger With Onion Soup Mix
Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
The best homemade tomato basil soup recipe made with roasted fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, caramelized onions and optional add-ins for extra creaminess. This tomato basil soup recipe is full of flavor and the best way to use up fresh tomatoes from your garden! Youll never want to go back to the canned stuff after you try this.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
When I was younger, I despised tomato soup. The flavors never seemed to call for me, nor did I ever crave grilled cheese.
My favorite was Moms chunky beef stew that simmered and bubbled on the stovetop for hours in our small yellow duplex kitchen back in Minneapolis. It wasnt until high school that I began to crave the comfort of creamy tomato soup after Mom started buying Progressos hearty tomato.
In fact, I remember us making cheesy pepper jack quesadillas and canned tomato soup on a frequent basis. Mom worked a lot to support our family and during my teenage years, the two of us didnt have much time to enjoy meals together. Quick and easy was exactly what we needed.
Today, Tony and I still buy canned or boxed soup. We have nights where were depleted of energy and need something quick and easy to nourish ourselves. Even though I have a food blog, it doesnt mean Im making dinner every single night.
How To Make Tomato Basil Soup
A homemade tomato basil soup with canned tomatoes tastes like it’s been simmering all day on the stovetop — but it’s ready in about 30 minutes!
Recommended Reading: Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
How To Store Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
- In the refrigerator: store any leftover tomato basil soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Reheat it back on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- In the freezer: add the leftover soup to a freezer-friendly, airtight container and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, let the sauce thaw in the fridge before heating it through on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Why Youll Love This Tomato Soup
Here are four reasons why this tomato soup recipe will become your new favorite:
- This recipe offers classic homemade tomato soup flavor, and its made with basic pantry ingredients. Winning!
- Its rich and creamy, yet cream-less. It uses a combination of white beans and butter to achieve this feat.
- This soup is special diet-friendly. Its gluten free, since it doesnt need any flour for thickening. Its also easily made vegansee the recipe notes.
- You can turn this recipe into tomato basil soup, if you have fresh basil on hand. It couldnt be easier.
Recommended Reading: Knorr Vegetable Mix Substitute