Fresh Versus Canned Tomatoes
There are so many approaches to making tomato soup at home. Some start with canned tomatoes, others with fresh. While there is certainly a convenience to using tomatoes from a can, it does not quite compare with the fresh variety.
In order to get the kind of soup we are looking for, skip the can and go right to the fresh tomatoes that are perfectly ripe. You will be rewarded with the sweetness that can only be derived from the best tasting tomatoes.
Beyond the debate of fresh versus canned tomatoes, some recipes will rely on tomato paste to bring a concentrated flavor to their soup. What this tends to contribute is a deeper, cooked tomato taste with a sweeter tomato essence.
While that certainly works, this is not the flavor profile we are going for, so it really has no place in this recipe.
Why Should I Have Sugar In The Soup
Sugar helps to highlight the tomato flavor so you get a more balanced tomato soup. You can experiment with the amount of sugar or alternatively use canned tomatoes that are a little sweeter.
You can also make a pre-mixed version without mixing. Then you can have 400 g extra tomato paste instead of diced tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. When the soup is ready, you can pour it into a baking dish and place it on the table. Tear over the cheese and place pasta, croutons and crème fraîche on the table.
Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
The best homemade tomato basil soup recipe made with roasted fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, caramelized onions and optional add-ins for extra creaminess. This tomato basil soup recipe is full of flavor and the best way to use up fresh tomatoes from your garden! Youll never want to go back to the canned stuff after you try this.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
When I was younger, I despised tomato soup. The flavors never seemed to call for me, nor did I ever crave grilled cheese.
My favorite was Moms chunky beef stew that simmered and bubbled on the stovetop for hours in our small yellow duplex kitchen back in Minneapolis. It wasnt until high school that I began to crave the comfort of creamy tomato soup after Mom started buying Progressos hearty tomato.
In fact, I remember us making cheesy pepper jack quesadillas and canned tomato soup on a frequent basis. Mom worked a lot to support our family and during my teenage years, the two of us didnt have much time to enjoy meals together. Quick and easy was exactly what we needed.
Today, Tony and I still buy canned or boxed soup. We have nights where were depleted of energy and need something quick and easy to nourish ourselves. Even though I have a food blog, it doesnt mean Im making dinner every single night.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Pot Roast Slow Cooker
How To Make Tomato Soup Step
This recipe is easy and takes less than 45 minutes!
Most of that time is simmering and needs no attention from you!
PRO TIP: the recipe is cooked over low temperatures to avoid browning the onions, the roux and the milk.
Browning will change the flavor!
STEP 1: In a large, heavy Dutch oven or stock pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat .
STEP 2: Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes .
STEP 3: Stir in the flour to coat the onions. Reduce heat to low .
STEP 4: Gradually pour in the milk and water stir or whisk constantly to combine and allow the mixture to thicken .
NOTE:though difficult to capture in the photo, the mixture will be more golden in color and the thickening is obvious when stirring the mixture.
STEP 5: Add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes to the pot and stir to combine .
STEP 6: With the heat on low, allow the mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the onions are cooked and the tomatoes are soft . Do not bring to a boil!
STEP 7: Blend the soup using one of the two methods suggested below .
Ingredients For Homemade Tomato Soup
This garden fresh tomato soup may look fancy, but its pretty darn easy to make and only calls for a few simple, fresh ingredients. With simple recipes it is *so* important to use high quality, fresh ingredients because the flavor will really shine through. We recommend using organic or homegrown tomatoes, garlic and basil!
Recommended Reading: Campbell French Onion Soup Recipes Roast Beef
How To Make Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- I use a humble potato to thicken this soup. Of course you can leave it out if you wish, but is adds a thick and creamy texture and compliments the tomato flavour nicely. However, you can use thickened cream if you wish!
- If using the potato, fry it along with diced onion and red bell peppers , until the onion is transparent and the potatoes are beginning to crisp up adds even more flavour into this soup .
- Pour in your broth/stock and simmer the potatoes until theyre soft.
- Add the tomatoes once theyre done add the basil blitz with a stick blender, and viola! SOUP! No additives, preservatives or artificial colours/flavours, and homemade soup done in less than 30 minutes.
Serve with grilled cheese or cheesy toasts whichever works for you.
And dip away, my friends.
So thick and cream Roasted Tomato Basil Soup!
Best Way To Blend Homemade Tomato Soup
The texture is very personal to each dinner. Some like it chunkier, some like it smooth.
There are two ways to blend this soup at the end:
How to: Insert the blending end of the immersion blender into the soup and pulse to achieve the desired texture.
Read Also: Publix Hot Soups
How To Freeze Tomato Soup
To freeze, let the soup cool to room temperature. Then, transfer it to freezer-friendly containers and freeze for up to 2 months. I recommend freezing it in individually-sized portions or at least in portions that you’d eat in a sitting as a family.
Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in a pot on the stove over medium-low heat.
If Your Tomatoes Are Too Tart
This recipe calls for heavy cream which is optional. I dont generally add the cream, however, sometimes tomatoes can be very tart so the addition of extra cream can help smooth out the flavor.
Other additions for a tart soup include a shredded carrot cooked with the mixture, pinch of sugar, a couple of pats of butter or some coconut milk .
Also Check: Lipton French Onion Soup Meatloaf
Sprinkle In Some Herbs
Take advantage of dried herbs and add some Italian seasoning. The blend is typically a combination of oregano, basil, marjoram, rosemary, and thyme, so you dont have to individually source each one.
If you have fresh herbs, feel free to use them. Simply add 3 times the dried amount listed, about 1 ½ teaspoons. Blooming these herbs in oil releases more fat-soluble flavor compounds, adding even more essence to the soup as it simmers.
Ingredients Used In Quick And Easy Tomato Soup
There are only fresh and simple ingredients used in this tomato recipe. The fresh ingredients is what makes this soup recipe full of so much flavor.
- campari tomatoes- can also use roma tomatoes for the best flavoring, but also any tomato will work!
- cherry tomatoes- I used tri-color cherry tomatoes, but feel free to use whichever you prefer!
- yellow onion- yellow onion is sweet, so it gives this soup a really nice flavor
- fresh garlic- I use two heads of garlic for this tomato soup recipe, I believe it adds a lovely flavor and aroma!
- EVOO- a good quality extra virgin olive oil will go a long way with this recipe, it also is great for roasting since it has a high smoke point.
- salt and pepper- simple seasonings like salt and pepper will go a long way with this tomato soup recipe
- fresh basil fresh basil is absolutely necessary, both for blending into the soup and topping off with.
- vegetable broth I prefer vegetable broth to keep this recipe vegan, but you can also use beef or chicken broth.
- coconut milk most tomato soup recipes call for heavy cream, so for a dairy-free alternative you can use coconut milk from the can. This has a thicken consistency than regular coconut milk.
Don’t Miss: Onion Soup Potatoes Lipton
Ways To Change Up This Soup
An exciting thing about this recipe is the flexibility to change it up!
Here is just a start of what you can do:
- Drizzle flavored olive oil on top
- Add favorite fresh or dried herbs to the recipe to change the flavor. Favorites include: fresh basil, thyme, dill, parsley, rosemary or oregano.
- Dried herbs: toss 1 teaspoon in when sautéing the onions.
- Fresh herbs: add 1 tablespoon them with the tomatoes.
More Easy Soup Recipes
We have many soup recipes on Inspired Taste. Here are a few favorites:
While we are on the subject of chicken, you must take a look at our easy homemade chicken noodle soup recipe. It is healthy, satisfying, and tastes incredible. Its faster to make than the traditional version, too!
I love this lightened up broccoli cheddar soup! Its creamy and so delicious.
Recipe updated, originally posted October 2015. Since posting this in 2015, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear and added a quick recipe video. Adam and Joanne
Read Also: Broccoli Casserole Campbell’s
Substituting Other Canned Tomato Products
Crushed tomatoes are already broken down so there are fewer texture options for the final soup, but its a quick swap. A puree is often added to make it thicker, therefore you may need to thin out the soup with more stock. Diced tomatoes can be used, but often have calcium chloride added to the can to keep the pieces firm. Skip the mashing step and use the blender to break them down later.
Pin this recipe to save for later
What Type Of Tomatoes To Use
Any tomatoes can be used in this Tomato Soup recipe. Their flavor will directly translate to the flavor of the soup!
For instance, Roma or Plum tomatoes, the smaller, darker oval-shaped tomatoes most commonly used for tomato sauce, have less water.
Their flavor will create a denser tomato-flavored soup.
Home grown heirloom tomatoes will have a completely different flavor!
This gives total flexibility to create a soup to match your favorite tomato flavor.
There is ONE key.
Also Check: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole Recipe
Ingredients Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
The best part about this tomato basil soup recipe is how simple the ingredients are. Were using all fresh ingredients that still create an incredible flavor and texture. This tomato basil soup is wonderfully creamy without any cream or dairy ! Heres what youll need:
- Fresh tomatoes: tomatoes helps them to sweetened and slightly caramelize leading to a sweet, rich tomato soup flavor.
- Garlic: lets not forget about how delicious roasted garlic is. The sweet, lick-your-finger good flavor is essential to this recipe and its easy to roast right alongside the tomatoes.
- Fresh basil: basil has a slightly sweet flavor and should be added to the recipe before serving, as too much heat can remove the flavor of it and sometimes turn it slightly bitter. This herb also helps to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Onions: this was one thing I did that was a little different was the addition of caramelized onions! The sweet onions are caramelized, then blended into the soup. AMAZING!
- Additional soup add-ins: I like to use vegetarian broth, but feel free to use water if youd like. Youll also want some dried oregano and plenty of salt & pepper.
- Optional add-ins: Ive included optional ingredients that you can add to the soup to make it your own in the ingredients below! If youd like, this is your chance to get a little creative.
Serve With Homemade Croutons
Crusty croutons are delicious in this homemade tomato soup. Here is an easy way to make them:
- Slice a slender baguette into 1/2-inch slices OR cut some French bread into large cubes.
- Toss with some olive oil
- Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese
- Broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, watching to ensure no burning.
- Allow to cool slightly and then add croutons to the soup .
Read Also: Campbells Chicken Divan With Rice Recipe
How To Make Homemade Tomato Soup
I adore this fresh tomato soup because it is SO easy to make. Its one of those recipes that tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen, but actually only requires 15 minutes of hands on time. If you dont believe me, let me outline how incredibly easy this really is
Best Homemade Tomato Soup From Garden
Wondering what to make with all those tomatoes that are ripening up in your garden? Make a batch of homemade tomato soup! This tomato soup recipe is easy to make with fresh tomatoes, and produces the best tomato soup youll ever taste.
My Dads garden-fresh tomatoes are taking over my kitchen.
I have dozens of tomatoes lining the window-sill and counter-top. The fruit bowl is over-flowing with them, and I have a basketful in the fridge. Thats always the way, right? You wait all season for your tomatoes to ripen, and then it all happens at once, and youre scrambling to find different ways to use them before they go bad.
I was saying as much to a friend the other day, and she said she had just the thing for me: a recipe for her homemade tomato soup, which she called simply thee best tomato soup.
Well, I tried the tomato soup recipe this morning, and this is the legit email I sent my friend after inhaling my first bowlful at lunch today:
OMG. I just devoured a bowl of your homemade tomato soup. Omg. omg. omg. Did I mention OMG? Forget the spoon. Give me a straw. Actually, forget the straw after a couple of tastes and then a few frantic spoonfuls, I literally put down the spoon and just drank it directly from the bowl. Yeah, I did that. Drank it from the bowl. Best tomato soup ever. Maybe best SOUP ever. Period!
Does that kind of give you an idea of how good this tomato soup is?
Ha! Those days are over now!
Recommended Reading: Annie’s Organic Chicken Noodle Soup
How To Store Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
- In the refrigerator: store any leftover tomato basil soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Reheat it back on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- In the freezer: add the leftover soup to a freezer-friendly, airtight container and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, let the sauce thaw in the fridge before heating it through on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Can You Make This With Fresh Tomatoes
Yes you can – that’s another great thing about this easy recipe, it works just as well with chopped fresh tomatoes as it does with canned tomatoes! So when you’ve got lots of fresh tomatoes coming in from the garden, this is the recipe for you.
What about the skins?
You can skin the tomatoes if you’d like before chopping so they’re more like canned , but I’ve found that after cooking and blending, the skins aren’t really noticeable. So it’s up to you.
Okay, let’s make some homemade tomato soup – I promise this is the best tomato soup recipe and you really will never go back to canned!
Recommended Reading: Pioneer Woman Taco Soup With Ground Beef