Do I Need To Wrap The Bread In Foil
As I mentioned above, we love when garlic bread is soft and buttery in the middle. Wrapping the loaf in foil ensures this result. For a crispier garlic bread thats more toasted on top, dont wrap and bake for a shorter period . For another slightly more crisp take on garlic bread, see our basil and cheese garlic bread.
How To Make Fresh Tomato Soup
- 1Saute onion and garlic in a little coconut or canola oil till tender and translucent.
- 2Add tomatoes and chicken broth, and seasonings and cook over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before transferring carefully to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- 4Return to pot to reheat. Check the seasonings and correct if necessary.Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- 5You may add some cooked seafood to the prepared soup to make a good seafood soup. 1/4 c. to 1/2 c. is plenty.
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists
Welcome – I’m so glad you’ve joined the AOC community! Your first step is to check your email to confirm your subscription and you’ll be on your way to your free eBook and more printables.
Recommended Reading: Onion Soup Mix Hamburgers
Tomato Soup From Scratch
Homemade tomato soup starts with homegrown tomatoes simmered with onions, garlic, and seasonings. Served with fresh basil and chopped bacon, its a nutritious, comforting dinner or lunch. Every year I have big plans for all the tomatoes we grow here on the farm. And just about every year, they end up running wild. Thats just
Homemade tomato soup starts with homegrown tomatoes simmered with onions, garlic, and seasonings. Served with fresh basil and chopped bacon, its a nutritious, comforting dinner or lunch.
Every year I have big plans for all the tomatoes we grow here on the farm. And just about every year, they end up running wild. Thats just what real life looks like sometimes. I think people often want to start a garden but feel overwhelmed with trying to learn a new skill or wanting everything to be perfect.
Well, Im far from the perfect gardener, and yet we still enjoy so many lovely fruits and veggies. We get loads and loads of tomatoes, even if the suckers arent pruned or some dont get staked at the right time. Dont be afraid to start just start. You can even grow tomatoes in pots on a balcony. Its worth it. Homegrown always taste better.
When you have loads of garden tomatoes, you need to make this fresh tomato soup recipe. Its such a cozy and filling soup. If youve never made tomato soup with fresh tomatoes, you need to try it.
Make Forward And Freezing Directions:
Roasted tomato soup might be made just a few days forward of time, saved within the fridge. I believe it even tastes higher because it sits and the flavors have time to mix.
To freeze, retailer in a freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then rewarm on the range.
Think about attempting one in every of these traditional soup recipes:
- Spicy Rooster Soup
Don’t Miss: Leek Spinach Dip
Tomato Basil Soup Recipe Ingredients
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this roasted tomato basil soup:
- Roma tomatoes Just like in my homemade salsa recipe, the tomato variety you use here matters. If you cant find roma tomatoes, substitute another variety of small plum tomatoes. Larger heirloom or salad tomatoes are too watery for this recipe.
- Onion and garlic They add savory depth of flavor.
- Carrot It makes this soup nice and creamy without any nuts or heavy cream.
- Balsamic vinegar For tang!
- Thyme leaves For fresh, aromatic flavor.
- Fresh basil You cant make tomato basil soup without it! I blend in the basil right at the end so that it keeps its fresh flavor and flecks the soup with green.
- Extra-virgin olive oil It gives the soup body and richness.
- Vegetable broth It creates the soups flavorful base.
- And sea salt and freshly ground black pepper To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
More Easy Soup Recipes
We have many soup recipes on Inspired Taste. Here are a few favorites:
While we are on the subject of chicken, you must take a look at our easy homemade chicken noodle soup recipe. It is healthy, satisfying, and tastes incredible. Its faster to make than the traditional version, too!
I love this lightened up broccoli cheddar soup! Its creamy and so delicious.
Recipe updated, originally posted October 2015. Since posting this in 2015, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear and added a quick recipe video. Adam and Joanne
Also Check: Dolly Parton’s Vegetable Soup Recipe
For This Tomato Soup Recipe I Recommend:
Here are some kitchen tools I suggest using to make this recipe:
- KitchenAid Hand Blender This is the one I use and love! I have had mine for years and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it all the time to quickly blend up soups, smoothies and dips.
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables. I especially love using it to dice onions, because it saves me from all the tears!
If you make this Creamy Tomato Soup recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below, because I love hearing from you!
What To Serve This Fresh Tomato Soup With:
This tomato soup is delicious on its own, but I think we can all agree that the best part of tomato soup is what you get to eat with it. Serve up your tomato soup with
- Parmesan Cheese: This is a non-negotiable for me. tomato soup is not tomato soup without a healthy topping of shaved parm. The cheese melts into the hot soup and gives it a delicious nutty bite!
- Goldfish Crackers: Okay so this is if you really want to lean into that tomato soup nostalgia. Top your tomato soup with some goldfish crackers and youll immediately be transported back to the cafeteria.
- Heirloom Tomato Flatbread: Still have a million tomatoes lying around? This heirloom tomato flatbread is to die for!
- Grilled Cheese: I think we can all agree that tomato soup and grilled cheese is the food of the gods. The buttery, crunchy, salty grilled cheese perfectly complements the creamy, slightly sweet tomato soup. It is pure perfection.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Soup Pot Roast
New To Keto Check Out The Keto Starter Guide
The Keto Starter Guide is an amazing resource as you get started on your keto/low carb journey. This guide has everything you need to get started in 9 simple video lessons and also includes workbooks with step by step instructions for beginners.
- Whats a macro and why do I count them?
- How do I find the best recipes?
- What is ketosis and how do I get my body there?
- What fruits are allowed on a ketogenic diet?
- Will I get Keto Flu and what do I do about it?
The Best Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe:
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links.
To a large pot, add:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- pinch of salt
Cook over medium heat until things start to sizzle, and then cover and reduce to low until your onions are soft. Stir em around now and then. You dont want to brown them. If that starts to happen, add a little water to the pot, but chances are the steam and condensation will generate enough moisture to prevent them from browning.
While your onions are steaming, gather up:
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp uncooked white rice I used basmati rice
- big ol pinch of salt
- a sprig of fresh thyme or basil
- 1/2 bay leaf
***And this next ingredient is optional:
- 1 tsp garam masala
*My friends tomato soup recipe didnt actually call for garam masala. Its a spice commonly used in Indian recipes. I chose to add it because the mouth-watering smell of the onions and tomatoes and butter all cooking together reminded me of the Indian butter chicken sauce that I make. I figured a dash of the classic Indian spice would add a nice rich flavour to the soup. Guess what garam masala in tomato soup is absolutely divine.
While your onions continue to simmer:
1. Wash and core your tomatoes. Four clean slices through the tomato close to the core is how I do it.
When all the cores have been removed, youll have a heap of tomatoes that looks something like this. Gorgeous, arent they?
5. Now, youre going to add:
8. Puree it to your liking.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Chicken And Rice
Ways To Change Up This Soup
An exciting thing about this recipe is the flexibility to change it up!
Here is just a start of what you can do:
- Drizzle flavored olive oil on top
- Add favorite fresh or dried herbs to the recipe to change the flavor. Favorites include: fresh basil, thyme, dill, parsley, rosemary or oregano.
- Dried herbs: toss 1 teaspoon in when sautéing the onions.
- Fresh herbs: add 1 tablespoon them with the tomatoes.
Roast Tomatoes Onion & Garlic
Being making this easy tomato soup by combining tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a large bowl. Toss the ingredients with olive oil, salt and pepper and stir until evenly distributed.
Next, spread the tomato mixture onto a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the tomatoes from the oven, stir, and roast for an additional 15 minutes, broiling during the last 3 minutes so that some of the tomatoes get lightly charred.
Don’t Miss: Olive Garden Endless Salad
Whats In Paneras Creamy Tomato Soup
Panera Creamy Tomato Soup is a vegetarian soup, so I am using vegetable stock for this recipe, if you prefer, you could use chicken stock.
This tomato soup recipe is made creamy by the addition of heavy cream. I like to use heavy cream in soups that are going to be reheated. Heavy cream can be reheated without the milk curdling.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lets Make Something Delicious
Start this soup by crisping up some bacon in a large pot or, even better, a Dutch oven.
Once things are looking crispy, toss in your cut-up veggies. Give things a little stir to coat everything in the bacon grease.
Plop in some tomato paste with a little bit of flour and watch things start to carmelize. Okay, gosh. This soup, folks! Were not even done and its so good!
Pour your can of San Marzano tomatoes in along with some dried spices and broth and just let the soup simmer. The high maintenance, if you can even call it that, part of the soup is done.
To finish, give your soup a quick blitz in the blender to puree it , splash in some cream and a lil salt and pepp treatment and boom. Thats all! An incredibly easy and delicious soup in an hour.
Read Also: Easy Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
How To Make Tomato Basil Soup:
- Sauté the vegetables: Add the carrots, onion and celery to a pot with a little bit of oil and sauté them for a few minutes.
- Add: diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, oregano, and basil. Bring to boil and cook for several minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend. Use an immersion blender or regular blender and purée the soup until smooth. Return it to the soup pot.
- Make the roux: In a separate pot, add butter and melt on medium heat. Stir in the flour and whisk together constantly for about 10 minutes or until the roux is a nice golden brown color.
- Add the roux: Stir a big ladle full of soup into the roux-it will start to form a thick paste. Slowly add another 2-3 cups of warm soup to the roux, whisking it until smooth. Add the mixture to the soup pot and stir well to combine.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, half and half , and salt and pepper. Add additional oregano and fresh basil as desired, to taste. Stir well. Cook for a few more minutes until warmed through.
Serve With Homemade Croutons
Crusty croutons are delicious in this homemade tomato soup. Here is an easy way to make them:
- Slice a slender baguette into 1/2-inch slices OR cut some French bread into large cubes.
- Toss with some olive oil
- Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese
- Broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, watching to ensure no burning.
- Allow to cool slightly and then add croutons to the soup .
Also Check: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
How To Make Tomato Soup From Scratch
In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add diced onions and oil and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they begin to become translucent. I like to brown the onions a bit to add even more flavor to the soup.
Using a garlic press, add garlic to the onions. You can also use a knife to finely dice the garlic.
Add herbs and cook one more minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
Sprinkle in the flour over the onions and garlic, and stir well for another minute or two. This creates a roux, which helps thicken the soup. Make sure to cook the roux to remove any flour taste at the end.
Add in chopped tomatoes, broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.
Blend with immersion blender. This is the easiest way, but you can also ladle the soup into a blender and blend smooth, working in batches and pouring back into the pot. Cover the blender lid with a towel to help prevent burning hands and reduce the risk of the soup spurting out the top.
Ladle into bowls and add in any toppings you would like. Cooked bacon, croutons, cheese, and fresh herbs are some of our favorites.
Christmas And New Year’s Eve Nail Art Ideas From Rachael’s Nail
Each product has been independently selected by our editorial team. We may receive commissions from some links to products on this page. Promotions are subject to availability and retailer terms.
Rach uses fresh tomatoes and a handful of pantry staples to make this warm weather version of tomato soup
If you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes insteadjust swap in two large 28-ounce cans or three 15-ounce cans.
Rach likes to pair this soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, and she’s made two to celebrate warm weather:
- 5 to 6 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium or 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large leafy stem basil, plus torn leaves, for topping
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought vegetable stock or chicken bone broth or stock
Read Also: Can I Give My Dog Chicken Noodle Soup
Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Hi all! Its Natasha here from Salt & Lavender. I hope youre all enjoying the fall weather. Even though Im a warm weather girl at heart, I cant resist soup season. Soups are some of my favorite things to make, and I hope youll love this easy tomato soup recipe. Tomato soup has always been one of my favorites. Basil and a splash of cream take it to the next level of yumminess!
We are well into fall now, but I can eat tomato soup all year. I always keep some fresh basil plants during the warmer months, and this soup is perfect for using it up if you have some.
This soup is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. If youre feeding vegetarians, simply replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth. Hope you love this easy tomato and basil soup recipe!
How To Make Tomato Soup Step
This recipe is easy and takes less than 45 minutes!
Most of that time is simmering and needs no attention from you!
PRO TIP: the recipe is cooked over low temperatures to avoid browning the onions, the roux and the milk.
Browning will change the flavor!
STEP 1: In a large, heavy Dutch oven or stock pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat .
STEP 2: Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes .
STEP 3: Stir in the flour to coat the onions. Reduce heat to low .
STEP 4: Gradually pour in the milk and water stir or whisk constantly to combine and allow the mixture to thicken .
NOTE:though difficult to capture in the photo, the mixture will be more golden in color and the thickening is obvious when stirring the mixture.
STEP 5: Add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes to the pot and stir to combine .
STEP 6: With the heat on low, allow the mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the onions are cooked and the tomatoes are soft . Do not bring to a boil!
STEP 7: Blend the soup using one of the two methods suggested below .
You May Like: Broccoli Cheese Rice Chicken Casserole Campbell