How To Make It Gluten
- If you are using gluten-free flour, make sure to use a type without sorghum or garbanzo bean flour.
- I have found the gluten-free all-purpose flour mix from Trader Joe’s makes the best gluten-free roux.
- When making a gluten-free roux, make sure to stir well between each scoop of broth. Gluten-free flour tends to clump up if not stirred well enough.
- Or simply use the starch method for an easy gluten-free method.
This recipe makes a large pot of soup but everyone goes back for seconds and thirds so my family of 4 usually ends up finishing the whole pot! If you dont, no need to worry, like most soups, it is even better the next day for lunch!
How To Make Broccoli Soup Vegan
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil and sauté the onions for 6-8 minutes until they soften.
- Add the broccoli, vegetable stock and some salt and pepper, give it a stir. Cover and let cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the broccoli is soft and tender. Dont let it boil.
- Carefully transfer the broccoli mixture to a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix or blend it right in the pot with an immersion blender . Blend until creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
Why Use A Blender For Making Broccoli Soup
I tried the hand held mixer and it resulted in a grainy soup due to the broccoli florets having small buds on the heads which didn’t blend well.
It wasn’t the result I was after. The blender* however, blended the content so well, it resulted in a very smooth silky finish. Making it easy to slurp the soup.
Aesthetically, it was appealing. Another gorgeous soup is my vegetable borscht.
Recommended Reading: Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Gluten Free
Cauliflower The Miracle Vegetable
I’m convinced that cauliflower is a wonder-vegetable! Eaten raw it may not make the best impression, but once you cook it, especially in a soup, it imparts the silkiest texture to anything you put it in.
Curried Vegan Cream Of Broccoli Soup Is A Thick Creamy Warming Soup Great For The Winter Months When Broccoli Is In Season
Curried Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup is like a mild curry that goes down smooth.
Its definitely not hot the soup only contains one teaspoon of curry powder!
No, I lie in addition to this one teaspoon of curry powder, Ive added additional spices that are commonly included in curry powder: coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder.
Despite this, I wouldnt say the soup is hot. I find that the amount Ive used in this recipe provides a nice amount of heat without being hot.
However, you may disagree. If so, you can reduce or increase the heat by adding a little more or less curry powder to get the taste just right for you and your family.
Read Also: Soup Nation Menu
Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe Ingredients
Tasting this vegan broccoli soup, youd never guess that its made without cheese or cream. Its creamy texture and rich taste come from these plant-based ingredients:
- Broccoli, of course! I get tons of requests for recipes that use a whole bunch of broccoli, so here, I do stalk and all! I blend the stalk into the soups creamy base and pulse in the florets for texture. If youre looking for more whole-vegetable recipes, try making a broccoli salad or cauliflower rice next. Waste not, want not!
- Cashews and potatoes This combination is a great one for giving vegan recipes a gooey cheesy texture. Like in my vegan cheese recipe, it makes this soup rich and creamy.
- Carrots For cheesy color.
- Celery, onion, and garlic They add savory depth of flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice For tang.
- Fresh dill Its the secret ingredient that ties this soup together! It helps give it a delicious cheesy flavor without an ounce of cheese.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
To make this recipe, start by sautéing the onion, carrots, celery, and broccoli stems until they soften. Stir in the potatoes and garlic. Then, add the broth and simmer!
Meanwhile, steam all but 1 cup of the broccoli florets until theyre tender, but still bright green.
Vegan Broccoli Soup With Cashew Cream
This deliciously creamy broccoli soup is a snap to make in the blender. Fresh ingredients and silky cashew cream make this soup better than any cream of broccoli soup. No one can believe its dairy-free.
Ive been wanting to make this creamy broccoli soup since last winter. I discovered a similar soup at Gelsons market on a busy night on the way home from ballet. I was surprised to find the dreamy creaminess wasnt due to cream at all. I took a peek at the ingredients and found cashews listed. Ah-ha! I am no stranger to creamy cashew recipes. Ive been making vegan cheesecake out of raw cashews for years. Once they are soaked, raw cashews can be blended into the most delightful cream for all sorts of recipes. If I recall correctly, the soup I bought that day also had quinoa in it. Though I didnt add it in this recipe, I may next time.
This broccoli soup is easy to make, filled with loads beautifully pure, fresh ingredients, and tastes incredibly comforting. I dont think Ive ever eaten as much broccoli as I have when making this soup. It has that addictive cheesy umami flavor that keeps you wanting more. To my surprise, my 9 year old loved this soup and has requested it again. My 7 year old wasnt so sure. Cest la vie. The rest of us loved this one so much its going on our regular dinner rotation.
Ill leave you with this one last image of cashew cream. I really hope you make this dreamy creamy broccoli soup. I know Ill be making it again and again.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Bake
Storage And Freezing Tips
Storage: Any leftover soup should be placed in an airtight glass container and stored in the refrigerator. It should last for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Freezing: Place the cooled soup in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Tips For Making The Creamiest Vegan Broccoli Soup:
- Using a combination of broth, almond and coconut milk gives you a creamy consistency.
- Turmeric, paprika and nutritional yeast contribute to a cheesy, cheddar-like color. You can skip one or the other, but dont leave out all three.
- Dont skimp on the salt. Cheese is naturally salty, so when youre missing it, youre missing out on that saltiness. Dont be afraid to add enough salt to make it taste right.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Broccoli Casserole
It’s All About The Seasonings
What people really love about this soup, is the flavor the dried dill imparts. It’s such a fantastic combination against the broccoli. It creates this beautiful fresh taste that’s so unexpected for broccoli soup, it’s just delicious!
You could use fresh dill too, but I find the dried dill is more flavorful and imparts even more flavor. I also add a good amount of salt and pepper, to taste, as well.
Why A Vegan Cream Of Broccoli Soup
Cream of Broccoli Soup typically contains butter and milk.
I prefer not to use too much butter in my cooking due to the high saturated fat content and how it feels to my body. I prefer it as a condiment on the side, such as smearing it on my bread.
Furthermore, my husband doesnt tolerate too much dairy. So, for this reason, many of my recipes are vegan.
However, simply because this recipe is vegan doesnt mean that it is healthier than standard Cream of Broccoli Soup. This is due to the substitution with coconut milk, which is high in saturated fat also.
Comprising lite coconut milk, this soup recipe has only slightly less saturated fat than those made with butter and milk . Therefore, it is not a matter of this soup being healthier than traditional recipes. It is about it being suitable for those who choose to eat vegan or avoid dairy whether out of necessity or personal choice.
The addition of red lentils or yellow split peas will somewhat compensate for the protein lost by omitting milk, which is an ingredient in most Cream of Broccoli Soup recipes. Thus, it is a great addition for those following a vegan diet.
Recommended Reading: Does Onion Soup Mix Go Bad
Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe Tips
- Top it with something crunchy. Whenever Im making creamy soup, I love to top it with crunchy garnishes for textural contrast. While the soup simmers, roast the last of the broccoli florets and make a batch of quick homemade croutons. These crispy toppings will take your vegan broccoli soup to a whole new level!
- Dont blend the broccoli too much. You dont want this soup to become a smooth puree it should have some texture. Blend the potatoes, celery, onions, broccoli stalk, and carrots until theyre completely smooth, but just pulse in the steamed florets. They add lovely green flecks and texture to the soup.
- Dont skip the dill! Even if dill isnt your thing, I urge you to try it in this recipe. Its essential for mimicking the rich, complex flavor of sharp cheddar cheese. If you want to skip it, I recommend blending in a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast to make the soup taste more cheesy.
Blend Ingredients In Blender
Once the veggies are cooked, it’s time to blend everything together. Start by blending the cashews and veggie broth for around 4-5 minutes to get it perfectly creamy.
It will start off separated and over time it will blend together into a super thick and creamy mixture.
Once the broth and cashews are well-blended, add in the roasted broccoli and onions, spinach, and remaining nutritional yeast. Then, blend for about 3-5 minutes until this vegan broccoli soup is super thick and creamy!
Also Check: Roast With Lipton Onion Soup
Vegan Cream Of Broccoli Soup
Rich, creamy, and silky smoothyoud never guess this vegan cream of broccoli soup was dairy-free!
Cream of broccoli soup isnt normally on the menu if youre vegan. In fact, its not even normally vegetarian . But its one of those soups that I remember from my childhood as being so cozy, so comforting, that I felt like I absolutely had to create a meatless and dairy-free version.
The secret to a killer bowl of non-dairy creamy broccoli soup is coconut milk. And nope the soup does not taste like coconut. It just tastes like deliciousness!
How To Make Soup Puree
Now that we’ve chosen our tools for making our soup, let me give you just a few safety tips. The last thing we want is to have a soup explosion in your kitchen or to burn yourself.
- Allow your soup to cool for at least 10 15 minutes before blending
- If using anything except for an immersion blender, blend in batches
- Only fill your blender jar to the max liquid level indicated on the outside
- Use a dishtowel over the top of the blender so any steam or soup residue doesn’t burn you
- Make sure your lids are secured and don’t walk away from the machines while they’re blending
Basically, let it cool and use common sense to avoid getting burned or having a massive mess to clean up ????
Read Also: Is Lipton Soup Mix Gluten Free
Thicken With The Starch Method
Note: The starch method is a little easier and has less fat and calories, yet the roux method makes it richer and creamier.
A Hearty And Delicious Soup
Don’t let the word vegan scare you away, this soup is delicious!
Last month I shared a recipe for quick and easy cream of broccoli soup which is made with very little cream and a lot of broccoli.
This vegan version of broccoli soup is made the same way. It’s filled with broccoli and just a little bit of homemade cashew cream. It is just as rich and creamy as broccoli soup made with dairy.
I served the vegan and dairy version of the soup side by side to my family and they could not tell which soup was the vegan version.
Read Also: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
What Can I Use To Puree Soup
Alright so now that we have our secrets to making a creamy vegan soup, let’s talk tools. In order to make your soup creamy, you need to puree it. Pureeing soup is actually super simple, but you do need an appliance to do it.
Here’s what you can use to puree soup:
1. Blender: this is my favorite method of pureeing soup since it has the best results and is the quickest. I use my Vitamix a3500, but any blender should work. Remember, depending on the size of your jar, you might need to blend in batches!
2. Immersion Blender: this is my next favorite method that also happens to be the cheapest. Immersion blenders do a great job pureeing soup, but they don’t get it quite as smooth as a traditional blender. They also work better with soups that are on the thinner side . Either way, they will work with most soups.
3. Food Processor: a food processor can work to puree soups, but you won’t get it nearly as smooth as you do with either blender. Food processors are really meant to chop things, so while your soup might still be creamy, it will also be slightly chunky at the same time. So basicallyit works but it’s not my favorite!
Otherwise, if you don’t use one of these three tools, you might have a hard time getting that soup to be creamy!
How To Make Vegan Broccoli Soup
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Add olive oil and chopped onion to the pot and sauté on medium to high heat until the onions are softened.
- Add crushed garlic, dried thyme, dried rosemary and cayenne pepper and sauté with the onions for a few minutes so that the spices get lightly toasted.
- Add broccoli and potatoes and toss with the onions and spices until well mixed.
- Add the vegetable stock.
- Cover the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and let it simmer until the potatoes and broccoli are soft and cooked.
- Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly in the pot. If you dont have an immersion blender then let the soup cool for a bit before transferring it in stages to your blender jug, blend and then return the soup to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the coconut cream.
- Stir the coconut cream into the soup and your soup is ready to serve!
Also Check: Potato With Onion Soup Mix
Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
This vegan creamy broccoli soup is made with tons of veggies, has the most luxurious texture and tastes like it has cheese. Such an easy and healthy recipe!
As soon as the leaves start to turn, my mind immediately goes into soup mode. I love a good soup! Especially when it’s silky smooth and topped with something I can mix in.
We have a constant debate in my house about creamy vs. broth-based soups and creamy wins out most of the time. Mostly because I’m the cook and I like creamy ????
Today we’re whipping up my first creamy soup of the season and I think you’re going to love it! We’re making a Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup that is made sans cream and sans cheese, but still absolutely scrumptious!
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
by Megan · This post may contain affiliate links.
This healthier Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup tastes just like its cream and cheese-filled counterpart with no dairy required. With only 10 ingredients needed, you are going to love this easy, nourishing, gluten-free, & dairy-free broccoli soup recipe.
*Recipe originally shared December 2019 and updated August 2021*
One of my favorite recipes to make is always homemade vegan soup. There is just something so warming & comforting about a big bowl of soup with a side of toast.
Luckily, making a vegan cream of broccoli soup at home is easy, delicious, and healthier than any soup you would order out. Plus, this vegan roasted broccoli soup recipe is dairy-free, paleo, and so nutritious.
You May Like: Weight Watchers Potato Soup With Hash Browns
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
This dairy free broccoli cheese soup is made with a combination of almond and coconut milk, for a creamy, cheese soup that doesnt have any cheese at all. Its perfect when youre craving a creamy, comforting soup, and it only takes about 30 minutes to make. Dairy free doesnt get much better than this.
Contrary to what you may think, going dairy free doesnt mean creamy soups are thing of the past. They are, in fact, just as easy to make and you wont even be able to tell the difference.
Id even so far as to say this soup is as good as Paneras broccoli cheese soup. Its creamy, savory and just as indulgent as you remember.