Cream Of Mushroom Soup Substitutes To Try
So, before we get to the recipe, let’s talk about what happens if you don’t have cream of mushroom soup on hand. When you’ve got a recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup, but you find your pantry is bare, don’t panic. Depending on what you plan to make, one of these substitutes can work wonders:
- Alfredo Sauce If you’re making a casserole that calls for cream of mushroom, try using Alfredo Sauce instead. The consistency is similar, and you might find a new favorite recipe in the process! Grab our homemade Alfredo sauce recipe and add some sauteed mushrooms and fresh garlic!
- Cream of Chicken Soup In most cases, cream of chicken works just as well! In fact, we’ve been known to sub it in on purpose to please mushroom-hating picky eaters. Doctor up the canned version with some freshly grated garlic.
- Sour Cream Three cheers for this shelf cooking MVP! You can use sour cream in just about anything even muffins and pound cake! And yup, it makes a good cream of mushroom substitute, too. For every can your recipe calls for, swap in one cup of sour cream.
- Cream of Celery Soup Here’s another cream of soup that works well in a pinch. While the flavor may taste slightly different, the consistency is similar enough to use this swap in a one to one ratio. If you have fresh mushrooms, dice them and add them to the mixture!
Substitutions And Suggestions For Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Weve gotten a lot of great suggestions from readers over the years who have made this soup and made their own variations. Here are a few:
- Add or substitute some wild mushrooms
- Add shredded chicken for extra protein
- For a richer soup, swap the chicken stock for beef stock
- For a lighter soup , swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock
- For a dairy-free version, swap the cream with coconut milk
- For another dairy-free version, add some rice during cooking, then blend
- If the soup tastes a little bland to you, add a splash of rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- If you dont have tarragon, try thyme, oregano, or rosemary
Read Also: Campbell Soup Baked Chicken
Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup Is Full Flavoured And So Easy To Make You Wont Buy Soup In A Can Again
The deep earthy flavours of a classic home-made cream of mushroom soup recipe cant be beat, especially when its ready in minutes. Youll never open a can of mushroom soup after trying our recipe!
You will love how easy this is to make! Walking in to the kitchen to throw a few ingredients together, only to come out with a warm creamy bowl of comforting soup in minutes.
You May Like: Lipton Soup Mix Burgers
Helpful Tips And Faqs
- Feel free to puree the soup using a handheld or regular blender if you like it smooth.
- For some added brightness, you can add a splash of lemon juice or white wine to the soup pot while the potatoes and vegetables are cooking.
- If it isnt filling enough for you, you can add ground turkey, white beans, Italian sausage, or pre-cooked shredded chicken into the mushroom soup.
- Add some toppings to each bowl if youd like! Croutons, crispy bacon, or fresh dill would be delicious.
Can this be made vegetarian?
Yes! Just use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and coconut milk instead of heavy cream to make vegetarian mushroom soup.
What can you serve with creamy mushroom soup?
Crusty bread is a must on the side of this comforting soup. Crackers are delicious too, as well as focaccia, roasted cauliflower, and a caesar salad. It would also make for a hearty and delicious appetizer before the chicken and gnocchi hit the table!
How do you store mushroom soup?
Simply store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Can you freeze mushroom soup?
I dont recommend freezing cream of mushroom soup because once the dairy is frozen, its never quite as good once its thawed.
How Long Does This Mushroom Soup Keep
It keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days. I wouldnt advise to freeze them though mushroom soups thickened with a flour-based roux might be a bit stodgy when thawed, theyre ok, but not at their best.This healthy mushroom soup is so good, hearty, and guaranteed to please every mushroom lover!
If you make this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you! x
You May Like: Knorr Vegetable Mix Gluten Free
How Do You Make Mushroom Soup
Creamy mushroom soup from scratch has a depth of flavour so different from canned soups , thanks to fresh herbs and ingredients.
Just a handful of ingredients needed to make your own version:
- Mushrooms: Fresh brown or cremini mushrooms are perfect for this recipe. You could also use mini portobello mushrooms, or a combination of your favourite mushroom varieties.
- Herbs: The best herbs we have found over the years to compliment those incredible flavours is a combination of thyme and parsley. Of course, if you dont like those, you can also use rosemary, oregano, tarragon, chives or cilantro. Use what you love!
- Cream: Half and half, heavy cream, light cream or thickened cream all yield similar results, however heavy cream adds richness.
- Flour: We need flour to create that delicious, creamy texture mushroom soup is loved for. You can leave it out and use cornstarch if you wish. I recommend 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water . If unsure about quantities for your liking, add the cornstarch slurry in tablespoon increments, stirring in between, until youve achieved your ideal texture.
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Is Really Just Store
As far as its role in the anatomy of a hearty American mid-century casserole, condensed cream of mushroom soup is essentially mushroom-flavored bechamel in a can. Bechamel is one of the mother sauces of classical French cuisine, and at its core its nothing more than milk cooked with a paste of butter and flour until its thick and creamy. Three ingredients, not counting salt. Add mushrooms and pepper and youre up to five.
Bechamel is easy to make. It also requires the use of a saucepan and whisk, both of which get a slight gluey coating as the bechamel that inevitably clings to the rim of the pan and the ribs of the whisk cools down. There are nights when washing a pot and whisk gooped up with coagulated white sauce are deal breakers. Weve all been there.
For the exchange of convenience, that ingredient listing of five for homemade bechamel with mushrooms goes up to 13 when you reach for the can. At least thats whats in Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom, the definitive example of the genre. Theres a solid argument that homemade sauce is far more wholesome, but whats the point of getting stuck in an aspirational vacuum? Sometimes we just need to get a meal on the table.
You May Like: Crock Pot Pot Roast Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Salad
Just cook up some noodles , and when the pasta’s just about cooked, throw some chopped up broccoli, green pepper and onion into the pot of boiling water and finish out the cook time — about 4 minutes. After draining, add tomato, shredded cheese, parsley, basil and oregano. Stir in cream of mushroom soup until the noodles and veggies are well coated, and then refrigerate. Once it’s chilled you’ll have a delicious pasta salad that’s ready to take to any event, or even to feature at a Wednesday night dinner table.
Creamy Mushroom Mashed Potatoes
Cream of mushroom soup is no stranger to the holiday dinner table — it most often appears in the classic favorite green bean casserole. But topping beans isn’t the only way you can incorporate this soup into holiday side dishes. Everyone expects it to show up in casserole, so why not change it up?
Cream of mushroom soup and just one onion can add a lot of flavor to otherwise bland mashed potatoes. When you boil the potatoes, add a small onion, cut into wedges, to the water to infuse some of its flavor. Then, mash the potatoes with cream , a little bit of butter and a can of cream of mushroom soup. You’ll get a super creamy mixture that’s got a great flavor — something a little out of the ordinary.
But what if not everyone in your family is a mushroom fan? No problem. Just make regular mashed potatoes and use the soup as an optional mushroom gravy.
Cream of mushroom soup’s not just great in things, it’s great on them too. Try it on anything you would top with mushrooms or a white sauce. It makes a great topping for burgers, steak, pork chops, baked potatoes and anything else you can imagine.
You May Like: How Many Carbs In Lipton Onion Soup Mix
How Do You Make Mushroom Soup Without Cream
If you need to leave out the cream, you can substitute it with evaporated milk or regular milk . Just be careful not to bring it to a rapid boil as it may curdle. Go with a very gentle simmer over low heat for about a minute to heat it through.
For a dairy free option, you can leave out the cream or milk all together. Our mushroom soup is still nice and creamy without the dairy component!
Best Mushroom Soup Recipe
Once you try this recipe, you will never want to make mushroom soup any other way. My family is obsessed with this soup and I bet yours will be too! It is truly one of our favorite dinner ideas.
This was very easy and fast to make I used three different types of mushrooms the two said in the recipe and some portabella they are so yummy it turned out great . Thank you so much for sharing..
Larry on Pinterest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley
- Extra sour cream for topping
Also Check: Pot Roast Lipton Onion Soup
How To Make The Best Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Save Time With Premix Mushroom Soup
You can use home-style ready-to-cook soup mixes like Knorr Cream of Mushroom Soup to cut your cooking time by minutes or hours. Bring 1 liter of water to a boil over a stove, then add 1 pack of soup mix and bring it down to a simmer. Watch it come together in 5 minutes! Made with real mushrooms and locally-sourced ingredients, this soup mix will quickly bag a deserving spot in your pantry.
Recommended Reading: Deep Round Soup Spoons
Mushroom Soup Recipes Faqs
What are the best mushrooms for soup?
We recommend Shiitake, Cremini,portobello, or button mushrooms for this easy mushroom soup.No matter which mushrooms you choose for this recipe, the most important thing is to look for freshness. You want nice firm mushrooms.
What is paprika?
I am a huge paprika fan and use it in almost everything. At my house, its a staple almost as necessary as salt and pepper.Paprika is a ground spice made from a combination of dried peppers, including hot chili peppers, cayenne peppers, poblano peppers, Aleppo peppers, and sweet peppers. Some paprikas are hot and spicy, others are sweet, with no heat and a mild flavor. While I am a huge fan of Spanish and Portuguese paprika in most dishes, Hungarian paprika is preferable for this recipe, but not necessary if you cant find it. However, Hungarian Paprika adds a bolder and more authentic flavor to the soup.
How to store mushroom soup
Freshly made Creamy Mushroom Soup will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for 3 days.
Can you freeze mushroom soup?
Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan on low on the stove and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
What’s Your Favorite Recipe Hack/substitution
With a little creativity, you can either use what you’ve got or whip up your own homemade version in just 15 minutes.
We’d love to know what tricks are up your sleeve! Drop a comment below or head over to our to join the conversation. Tell us: what’s your favorite recipe substitution hack.
Looking for more easy recipe substitutes to try?
Recipe Modifications For Our Favorite Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This recipe for cream of mushroom soup only requires a few basic ingredients, but if you find yourself missing an item or two, don’t worry. Try one of these simple swaps:
- Milk Want to make this one dairy-free? Try unsweetened almond milk in place of milk!
- Flour Gluten-sensitive? You can make your cream of mushroom soup with almond flour or coconut flour instead. Just use a one to one ratio!
- Onion If you don’t have fresh onion on hand, you can use onion powder. Start with about 1/8 of a teaspoon and add more to taste. You can also add in extra garlic to amp up the flavor.
- Mushrooms Any type will do! We typically have white on hand because they’re cheapest, but you can uses portobellos, cremini, or porcini instead.
And there you have it! You’re ready to use what you’ve got to make your own cream of mushroom soup.
Adding Sherry To Soup For Flavor
A mushroom soup without cream? And yes, the end result will find you wanting seconds. Heres why.
The secret weapon that brings this brothy, earthy soup to stardom is the Sherry. It elevates the level to fragrant, luxurious and wonderfully slurp worthy.
Sherry is a fortified wine and produced in Jarez, Spain. Fortification means that a neutral spirit has been added to wine either during or after the fermentation process. With sherry, its added after.
Fortification gives wine more complexity, a higher alcohol content and a little goes a long way in a recipe. Just a small amount will add great flavor and depth.
Sherry elevates a recipe with its nutty flavor and smoky back notes. Dont hesitate to experiment. It works beautifully with mushrooms, shrimp, crab, or poultry.
So think outside that white wine box when using wine for cooking. Drizzle a little sherry to make something delicious even that more special.
You May Like: Campbells Broccoli And Rice Casserole
What Are Porcini Mushrooms
When it comes to flavor, theyre like mushrooms on steroids! Cultivated primarily in Europe and North America, porcini mushrooms have been prized in Italy and France for centuries where they remain the most widely-consumed wild mushroom. Porcini have an incredibly rich earthy and nutty flavor that is unparalleled and has earned it the title of King of Mushrooms.
For years Ive included a tablespoon or two of ground dried porcini mushrooms to a variety of sauces, gravies and soups for a potent dose of umami to heighten the flavor of each dish. Its a truly wonderful ingredient and youll love the additional depth of flavor it contributes to this cream of mushroom soup.
You can find dried porcini mushrooms in some well-stocked grocery stores and you can also find them .
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Ground Beef Recipes
Can You Freeze Cream Of Mushroom Soup
So, you’re wondering if you can freeze cream of mushroom soup and use it later? Well, that’s a good question! We like the way you think.
The short answer is yes. Place your leftover soup in an airtight container or freezer bag and use it within six months for the best flavor. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating on the stovetop, or defrost in the microwave for a quick fix!
If you think you’ll use your leftover soup soon, just place it in the refrigerator and eat it within four days. Wondering what to do with any leftover cream of mushroom soup? We’re glad you asked! And you know we’ve got ideas, right?!
Also Check: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
What Goes With Mushroom Soup
- Toasted Baguettes
A flavorful homemade Creamy Mushroom Soup made with onions, cremini mushrooms, garlic, fresh thyme, and whipping cream.
- Beth Pierce
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 ½ lbs cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken, vegetable broth, or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream