Homemade Condensed Cream Of Chicken Soup Ditch The Canned Garbage And Make It At Home With Basic Ingredients In Under 15 Minutes Flat Youll Never Buy The Expensive Cream Of Anything Ever Again
Ready for a more cost-effective way to get condensed cream of chicken soup? There are gluten-free options out there, but what isnt out there is cheap and gluten-free condensed cream of chicken soup.
Ive purchased the store-bought in the past and was always taken back at the cost of these little containers of questionable cream of chicken or cream of mushroom.
Thats why I began making it myself and Im going to show you how to make it. After you see just how easy this is, youll be doing the same.
What Ingredients Do You Need You Make Gluten Free Cream Of Chicken Soup
Making cream of chicken soup gluten free is quick and easy.
It takes less than ten minutes, and you only need a few ingredients.
To make gluten free condensed cream of chicken soup youll need:
- Oil or butter. I like using olive oil because it adds a subtle fruity flavor, and is a healthy cooking oil. If you are making your cream of chicken soup with dairy, butter should be your first choice.
- Cooked, shredded chicken. Leftover rotisserie chicken, or even drained canned chicken will work! You can also chop up some raw chicken and cook it until golden brown right in the pan.
- Gluten free flour. The gluten free flour acts as the thickener to make the gluten free roux. I used my gluten free flour blend, but you can use just rice flour, or any gluten free flour blend in your pantry. Youll have best results if you use a gluten free flour that doesnt have xanthan or guar gum in it.
- Broth. I used chicken broth however, if you prefer you can use vegetable broth.
- Milk. I used an unsweetened plain coconut milk this time, but Ive used unsweetened plain almond milk in the past. You can also use dairy milk, or lactose free milk. As long as you dont use a sweetened vanilla flavored milk, you should be set.
- Salt and pepper. Essential if you dont want your soup to taste bland.
What’s The Difference Between Chicken Stock And Chicken Broth
While they are mostly the same thing, chicken stock and chicken broth are made differently. Stock is made from chicken bones, making it slightly thicker with a richer flavor. Chicken Stocks marketed as “bone broth” generally contain extra nutrients from the simmering bones.
Chicken broth is made from cooking meat with vegetables to make a chicken flavored broth. For most soup recipes, these two products can be used interchangeably. You may get a richer flavor from a stock than you would from a broth, but overall they are similar enough that you won’t notice much of a difference.
I prefer to use chicken stock to make my gluten free cream of chicken soup, I find that the chicken flavor is more pronounced.
Did you make this gluten free cream of chicken soup? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
You May Like: Lipton Onion Potatoes Recipe
Thawing Cream Of Chicken Soup
When you’re ready to use your cream of chicken soup, there are a couple of ways you can thaw. Don’t worry, all you last-minute ladies out therewe’ve got a quick thaw method with no preplanning necessary!
- Thaw in Fridge If you’re planning ahead, stick your frozen bag of cream of chicken soup in the fridge a day or two before you need to use it. Give it a solid 24-48 hours to thaw in the fridge so it’s ready to use when dinnertime rolls around!
- Quick Thaw If you need your cream of chicken soup recipe right away, toss that sucker in the microwave and defrost for immediate use!
Okay, your cream of chicken soup is thawed and ready for action. Next step? Grab this delicious chicken broccoli rice casserole and you’ll have a finger-lickin’ good dinner the entire family will love!
Pro Tip: Once your soup is thawed, you may need to stir or whisk to get the consistency right again. Easy peasy!
How Many Cans Of Soup Does This Recipe Make And Does It Freeze Well
This recipe makes 32 oz. which ends up being just over three cans of traditional 10 oz. cream of chicken soup.
Yes, you can absolutely freeze it! Just portion it out into snack sized ziplocks or small canning jars and pull them out whenever you need them.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Noodle Soup For The Soul Dog Food
Gluten Free Chicken Soup Tips
This recipe tastes best if you make it with homemade chicken broth, its a much richer flavor. That said you can absolutely use store bought chicken stock or broth, just make sure its gluten free.
I think the taste of the finished soup is much better when the cooked chicken is blended into the soup. If you still like to have chunks of chicken then you could simply blend half the chicken into the soup and then stir in the remaining chicken pieces.
If you cant find ready cooked rotisserie chicken thats gluten free then you can roast a large chicken thigh in your oven which will take about 40-50 minutes at 375Â°F. Once its cooked remove the skin and cut the meat off the bone. One large chicken thigh is enough cooked chicken for this recipe.
What Do We Mean By Healthy
Our recipes focus on real ingredients and homemade elements. We try to avoid processed flour and sugar, like white flour or white sugar. Our recipes often swap less healthy options for an easy homemade version.
Our recipes are not necessarily low fat or low calorie, and we arent afraid of fat or carbs! Some of our recipes will be skinny, low carb, keto, paleo, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, Whole30, or vegan, and they will be labeled when they qualify for any of these diets. All our recipes are easy and family friendly!
Have you made this recipe? We would love to hear your feedback! Please leave a rating and comment so we can chat.Be sure to follow us on , too!
Read Also: Campbells Chicken Divan Recipe
Freeze For Later Cooking Day Directions
These directions help you cook or prepare this meal PRIOR to being frozen for serving later .
How To Make This Paleo Soup
This easy creamy dairy free chicken soup is made in a few simple steps.
Heres the step-by-step:
- Start by soaking the cashews for the cashew cream. In a small heat proof bowl cover raw cashews with just boiled water and set aside to soak .
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat and add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and salt. Sauté veggies until soft and starting to caramelize. Next comes the tomato paste and spices. Continue to cook until tomato paste has darkened slightly. This step deepens the flavor of the tomato paste and spices.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, and chicken breasts and bring back to a simmer! If using already cooked leftover shredded chicken, dont add it until the next step.
- When chicken is cooked, carefully remove from the soup to a cutting board. Shred using two forks or cut into bite sized pieces and return it to the soup.
- Prepare the cashew cream and it to the soup along with parsley. Bring back to a simmer and cook for a few more minutes minutes to bring the flavors together and thicken the soup slightly.
- Turn off the heat. Add a few big handfuls of baby spinach and stir until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
You May Like: Tomato Soup Keto Friendly
How Do You Make Easy Gluten
Making this soup could not be more simple. You start by melting the butter in the chicken stock over medium heat.
Next, you mix up your milk and cornstarch with a whisk. Add in the herbs and salts here as well. Pro Tip:Be sure to mix the cornstarch entirely into the milk so there are no clumps. I like to do a good scrape on the bottom to make sure none got stuck there. Then, once the broth and butter are boiling, you will slowly pour in the milk, cornstarch and herb mixture to thicken the soup and add flavor.
Pro Tip:Dont forget to constantly whisk the soup as you pour in the milk and cornstarch mixture to avoid clumps.
Make It Now Cooking Directions
These directions are for cooking this recipe to serve immediately and NOT to freeze for later.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Easy Step By Step Instructions
Making your own condensed soup substitute is as easy as making gluten-free gravy. In fact, that’s really all it is… a very thick gravy!
That’s it! Once the mixture is thick, you can remove it from the heat and use it in your recipe.
Gluten Free Cream Of Chicken Soup & Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Use gluten free cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup in any recipe that calls for the canned version. This delicious, homemade swap couldn’t be simpler!
I am so thrilled to share the recipes for Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup and Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup with you today. These homemade thick and creamy soup recipes are going to change casserole season and the holidays as we know it!
You May Like: Lipton Chip Dip
Can You Substitute Cream Of Chicken Soup In Cooking Recipes
Yes, it is possible to replace the cream of chicken soup in any cooking recipe. There are more people who are looking for substitutes for the cream of chicken soup. The reason is that although this dish has an amazing consistency and flavor, it is packed with some health concerns because of its high fat, calories, and sodium content.
You can even replace it with various ingredients that meet your specific purpose. For example, cream of chicken soup can be alternated by vegan options, gluten-free ingredients, dairy-free, or keto substitutes.
Other Ways You Can Use This Delicious Recipe:
- Add water to it, add some veggies and make your own homemade cream of chicken soup.
- Add it to casseroles, dinners, etc. anything that calls for it!
- Add it to pasta to make quick creamy dinners like adding it to this Fettuccine with Bacon.
- Freezing Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup to use for later!
So many uses and while I was going through my grandmothers old recipes! I realized there sure are a lot of recipes Id like to try using condensed cream of chicken soup but now Im going to be using my own.
Don’t Miss: Creamy Chicken Casserole Campbell’s
Gluten Free Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipe
So many delicious recipes call for a can of cream of chicken soup. Things like green bean casserole and cheesy potatoes use canned soup as a shortcut, and it isn’t always easy to know what to use instead.
Having a simple recipe for homemade gluten free cream of chicken soup will make your life and your cooking for holidays and homemade meals so much easier.
This recipe for gluten free cream of chicken soup only takes 20 minutes to make in one pan on the stove. Make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook with it.
What Can I Use This Recipe For
You can substitute this Dairy Free Cream of Chicken Soup in any recipe that calls for canned condensed cream of chicken soup.
The recipe makes a total of 2 ½ cups, which is the equivalent of 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup.
If your recipe calls for 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup, then you would use 1 ¼ cups of the homemade dairy free cream of chicken soup in place of the can of soup.
My favorite way to use this dairy free cream of chicken soup is in casserole and soup recipes, but it also tastes great as a sauce or gravy on cooked chicken or mashed potatoes.
If you have a small amount left of the dairy free cream of chicken soup, add it to your favorite brothy chicken or potato soup to make it richer and more flavorful.
I want to hear from you! Now that you have a recipe for Dairy Free Cream of Chicken Soup, whats the first recipe you would want to make with it?
For me, its a dairy free version of my moms chicken and rice casserole, which also happens to be the recipe I will be posting next week! If you dont want to miss it, jump onto my email list , and Ill send you an email once that recipe is posted.
Don’t Miss: Does Lipton Onion Soup Mix Go Bad
Does Regular Cream Of Chicken Soup Contain Dairy And Gluten
YES! Regular canned condensed cream of chicken soup has cream and butter and wheat flour . Those are the easy ingredients to understand! Theres also modified food starch which could contain gluten, and whey, which is most likely dairy based.
Plus, regular canned cream of chicken soup falls into the category of foods that I believe people should avoid simple because it has several ingredients that are highly processed and are hard to understand.
How To Make Dairy Free Cream Of Chicken Soup
To make it dairy-free, just use olive oil instead of the butter and use a dairy-free milk .
How do you make vegetarian cream of chicken soup?
You can also make a vegetarian substitute for cream of chicken soup by using vegetable broth and omitting the chicken.
This is such a good recipe to have handy! You’ll find places to use it all the time.
It only takes 5 minutes to make your own gluten-free cream of condensed soup, and now you are not limited by condensed soup containing recipes.
What recipe are you going to try your homemade gluten-free cream of condensed soup in first?
You May Like: Lipton Pot Roast Oven
Can I Buy Dairy
In my research, Ive only been able to find one brand of cream of chicken soup that is dairy-free. Vivans Live again offers a cream of chicken soup and gravy mix option that is both gluten-free and dairy-free.
This is a dry mix that you add water to create a soup you can use in recipes to replace traditional cream of chicken soup.
You can look for it locally in the dry soup area of your grocery store, or find it on Amazon.
What Other Readers Are Saying About Gluten
I just made this, and it works so well! It was fast and easy. Thanks, Paula!Bonnie
Cornstarch is gluten-free so this is a great alternative for those of us who try to avoid it! Also, it tastes so much better than the canned variety. Thanks for the recipe. I tried it first this past Thanksgiving, and it has been a staple ever since.Jenilee
Don’t Miss: Easy Chicken And Rice Recipe Campbells
Replace Milk And Butter With Dairy
The best way to make sure your cream of chicken soup is out of dairy products is to make your own soup from scratch. As already mentioned, the key to cut down the saturated fats or excess salt and sugar is to use dairy-free ingredients instead of regular dairy products.
So you will need to substitute butter with olive oil or coconut oil, and lactose-free milk options like soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk, or coconut milk for regular cow milk or goat milk. With these simple twists, you can have the best dairy-free cream of chicken soup to make delicious dishes without worrying about your lactose tolerance or your health.
How To Make Gluten Free Cream Of Chicken Soup From Scratch:
1. First, mix together the chicken broth, milk, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Keep whisking until the cornstarch is dissolved and everything is well combined.
2. Second, add the seasonings and mix everything together.
3. Next, cook the mixture over medium heat. Keep stirring constantly until the mixture is bubbling. This takes about about 3- 5 minutes.
4. Finally, reduce the heat to medium-low and keep cooking until the mixture is very thick. This normally takes about about 5 minutes.
5. That is it! Just remove from the heat and use as normal in any recipe that calls for cream of chicken soup.
You May Like: Crock Pot Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
What Brand Of Cream Of Chicken Soup Is Gluten Free
It’s not easy to find a ready made gluten free cream of mushroom soup. Actually, in the time it took me to research which brands are gluten free, I could have made this homemade cream of chicken soup instead!
Pacific Foods Organic Cream of Chicken Soup is gluten free, and could work in recipes in a pinch. I haven’t tried it personally, and reviews on line are a bit mixed.
Great Value Cream of Chicken Soup is certified gluten free by the Beyond Celiac and is a good option if you don’t want to make your own soup and you happen to shop at Walmart for groceries.
Mom’s Place Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup Mix is a powdered soup mix that you add milk to to create a soup.
I suggest making your own homemade gluten free cream of chicken soup to use in recipes. The flavor will be much better and it only takes about 20 minutes to make from scratch.