Hot And Sour Soup Ingredients
Depending on where you are coming from, the ingredients found inside hot and sour soup can vary. Tofu, shiitake mushrooms and whisked eggs are usual staples. Other common ingredients include wood ear mushrooms, bamboo shoots, pork, and lily buds.
For this version, I kept it simple. I added soft tofu, shiitake mushrooms and egg.
If you want an even quicker soup recipe, be sure to check out my microwave hot and sour soup for one!
Hot And Sour Soup Is Light In Taste
The chicken broth makes our Hot and Sour Soup a very light soup, and it’s the Asian chili sauce that gives it a spicy punch.
We enjoy this soup often throughout the year. We certainly don’t wait for just cold weather.
Minestra – soup was a staple in our household, and today both my Honey and I still derive a great deal of satisfaction from making and eating soup.
Whoever makes soup knows that it is practically impossible to make a small batch. By the time you put a little of this and a little of that into it, you’ve got a pot-full.
Hot and Sour Soup Ingredients
About This Hot And Sour Soup
Comforting Soup Recipes are wonderful to make whenever the weather turns crisp and chilly. A local favorite is this hot and sour soup from the popular Indo Chinese cuisine. It has just the right combination of spiciness and a great sour flavor, so each sip is satisfying but leaves you wanting more.
Traditional hot and sour soup recipes typically are made with vinegar for the sourness, and include red or green chilies for heat. They also tend to include some type of protein along with a bounty of fresh vegetables.
My version as well is loaded with lots of seasonal veggies and tangy vinegar. However, this Indian-style recipe only uses black pepper for a kick of spiciness. Ive also tweaked the classic dish to be meatless for a completely vegan hot and sour soup recipe.
Enjoy light and flavorful hot and sour soup as a starter or main dish with your favorite Chinese-inspired sides!
Also Check: Campbell Soup Broccoli Rice Casserole
Our Stance On Chinese Takeout
Im Chinese, and I must say, I love American Chinese takeout food. If youve ever wondered about our stance on the Peking Kitchens, Hunan Gardens, and Jade Palaces of the worldwhether we relegate these operations offerings to just late-night fodder or not real Chinese foodI can tell you that while we love sharing authentic, traditional Chinese recipes, we also love covering recipes for Hot and Sour Soup, Sesame Chicken, and other dishes you may find yourself craving at inappropriate hours of the day.
Because although some of these dishes may be a little more Daniel Boone than they are Confucius, they have a place in our culinary hearts. And theres an art to doing these dishes right.
Heat Wok With Oil Chili
Set the stove to its highest heat setting, and start to heat up the wok.
Add a little bit of corn oil , as well as our dried chili peppers .
We’ll heat and toss the chilies around the oil for about 1 minute as our wok heats up. The purpose is to add more of a spicy essence to the oil.
Afterwards, we’ll take the chilies out of the wok. We won’t need them anymore.
Also Check: Fat Flush Cabbage Soup Recipe
Authentic Hot And Sour Soup
Chinese restaurant-style hot and sour soup made easy! The hearty, spicy, sour broth is loaded with mushrooms, silky eggs, and tofu. Ive included lots of notes so you can tweak the recipe with the ingredients you have on hand, plus how to make this dish vegetarian.
Hot and sour soup is such a popular dish takeout dish, along with egg drop soup and wonton soup. Its one of those things that we almost always order when eating in a restaurant. The soup is loaded with so many goodies that I totally wouldnt mind serving it as a main dish for a light dinner.
Easy Hot And Sour Soup
prep time:15 minutes
cook time:15 minutes
total time:30 minutes
So much tastier than delivery! 30 min start to finish. Made with homemade wonton strips. SO SO GOOD.
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 packages fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 can sliced bamboo shoots, drained and cut into slivers
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the crispy wonton strips
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 package won ton wrappers, cut into strips
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
What Youll Need To Make Hot And Sour Soup
- Mushrooms Shiitake mushrooms are a must in this soup. Other mushrooms you can add are enoki mushrooms, wood ear mushrooms or even some oyster mushrooms.
- Carrots Youll need only a carrot julienned.
- Tofu Firm tofu is also a must in a good hot and sour soup. You can also add some cooked chicken or pork if you want for additional protein.
- Bamboo Shoots I love bamboo shoots and I think they are amazing in this soup. If you dont like them, you can skip them.
- Broth I used chicken broth but if youre looking for a true vegetarian version you can add vegetable broth.
- Soy Sauce I like to add a bit of dark soy sauce to darken the soup a bit, but also regular low sodium soy sauce for additional flavor.
- Vinegar Just plain white vinegar is needed to give us that sour taste we love.
- Cornstarch We just need a bit of cornstarch mixed with some water to thicken the broth.
- Eggs Whisked eggs are added to the soup to create beautiful egg ribbons.
- Sesame Oil I love to garnish this soup when serving with a bit of sesame oil for that extra flavor.
- White Pepper If you have it, I strongly recommend using white pepper because it has a different and stronger flavor than black pepper.
What To Serve With Hot And Sour Soup
If you want to use this as the traditional appetizer that it is, then I have come up with a few entrees and side items that you can serve along with it! Its all so good that once you are done you will feel like you are eating at a restaurant! Make it an entire meal, your whole family will love it!
- In a large pot, add the vegetable broth, and bring simmer over medium-high heat.
Add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots , vinegar, soy sauce, ground ginger, and white pepper. Whisk to combine, and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the pot once the soup has come to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes or until the soup starts to thicken.
While stirring the soup, gradually pour in the beaten eggs, and continue to stir in a circular motion. This will create egg ribbons.
Add in the cubed tofu and/or cooked shredded chicken, green onions, and sesame oil.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving1cupCalories88kcal Carbohydrates9g Protein6g Fat3g Saturated Fat1g Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat1gTrans Fat1gCholesterol47mg Sodium1367mg Potassium106mg Fiber1g Sugar3g Vitamin A613IU Vitamin C1mg Calcium52mg Iron1mg
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Course Dinner, Side Dish
Read Also: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
Turn Your Hot And Sour Soup Into A Savory Soup Noodle
Make a twist of the easy hot and sour soup recipe with some added lamian for a complete meal. The noodles behave like a sponge, soaking up all the flavors from the thick soup.You can make the soup more concentrated by reducing the amount of water or increasing the seasoning to take care of the dilution by the noodles.Blanch the noodles in a pot of water until the noodles are soft and al dente. You can refer to the instruction on the packaging as it varies from brand to brand. Drain the noodles and place them in a large ceramic bowl. Ladle the hot and sour soup on it and garnish with some chopped scallions.The ingredients of the soup can be varied too. Use scallop or shrimps in place of meat for the seafood version, make a chicken hot and sour soup or omit the meat if you prefer it to be vegetarian.
How To Make Hot And Sour Soup:
To make this hot and sour soup recipe, simply
You May Like: Split Pea Anderson Inn
Calories In Hot And Sour Soup Just 216 Calories
A big bowl of spicy-tangy-savoury-hearty deliciousness, and its just 216 calories. There are very few Chinese takeout favourites that are this healthy!
Add ins: Ive been known to add leafy Asian greens and even baby spinach to up the veg quota. Ive also been known to add rice, to fill it out. Its really, really good! Nagi x
PS Giving myself a big pat on the back for adding another recipe into my Low-Cal recipe collection!
Add Cornstarch Egg Vinegar Sesame Oil
Once the wok is boiling, we’ll uncover the lid and add more character to our soup.
Since the cornstarch has probably settled, mix it up again with a spoon, and slowly pour in the cornstarch over the course of 50-60 seconds. Stir constantly.
Beat the eggs again, and slowly pour in the eggs all around the wok, over the course of 20-30 seconds. Unlike Egg Flower Soup, we don’t have to stir as we pour.
Vinegar, Sesame Oil
Add vinegar to the wok, as well as sesame oil .
In general, it’s important to add the vinegar towards the end. In doing so, we aren’t wasting its pungency by cooking and boiling it away.
For similar reasons, my dad also tends to add sesame oil last in his recipes.
At this point, you should taste the soup and see if it needs and adjustments. Hopefully you are as satisfied as my dad!
You May Like: Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix Rice
How To Make The Soup Taste Hot And Sour
- To make the soup, you start with chicken stock. Its always better if you can make your own but if youre in a hurry you can buy chicken stock too. I always use ones with no salt added.
- The sour flavor is achieved through vinegar, preferably rice vinegar. Regular white vinegar has a harsh sour taste. Rice vinegar has a more delicate sour flavor and is also sweeter.
- The spicy flavor is achieved through chili flakes or chili paste. I use sriracha sauce.
- The broth is also seasoned with soy sauce, ginger and white pepper.
Other Vegetables And Proteins To Use In This Recipe
There are so many more ingredients that work well in this dish.
For example, some of my favorite vegetables include tomatoes, napa cabbage, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and bok choy.
You can also use a different type of protein to replace the pork. For example, chicken or shrimp would work great. You can even throw in a few slices of cooked sausage or ham to make the cooking faster.
Also Check: Is Campbell\’s Soup Healthy
Making Hot And Sour Soup
10. Add 2.5 cups water or Veg Stock to the pan or pot.
11. Mix the veggies with the water or vegetable stock very well.
12. Add 3 teaspoons soy sauce and stir again. I suggest using a good quality of naturally fermented and brewed soy sauce.
13. Taste, and season with salt as needed. Keep a check on the amount of salt as soy sauce already has salt in it. I added just about ¼ teaspoon first and adjusted towards the end.
14. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer.
15. Mix in the cornstarch paste.
16. Stir and mix again very well.
17. Simmer for a few minutes to allow the soup to thicken. The cornstarch paste will help in thickening the soup. Continue to stir at intervals.
18. When the soup has thickened, add ¾ teaspoon black pepper or white pepper or according to taste.
19. Now add 2 teaspoons of rice vinegar, or any good quality Chinese vinegar or Mirin or Sake. If you like, you can also add a bit of chopped coriander at this point.
For some more protein consider adding tofu cubes or sprouts at this step and then simmer for a minute.
20. Give a final stir to the hot and sour soup, and turn off the heat. Taste and add more soy sauce, vinegar, salt or black pepper as needed.
21. Serve the vegan hot and sour soup hot and garnished with chopped coriander leaves or spring onion greens .
Other Recipes You Might Like
My recipe is very easy and quick. It calls for a few simple ingredients:
- Chicken or vegetable stock.
- There are two seasonings to bring out the iconic flavors of hot and sour soup: soy sauce and vinegar.
- If you like it spicy, you can add some dried chili flakes or chili oil into the soup.
Hot & Sour Soup: Recipe Instructions
1. Prepare your pork:
Combine the 4 oz. julienned pork shoulder with 1 tablespoon water until the meat has absorbed the water. Add a pinch of salt, 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch and mix until combined. Set aside.
2. Prepare your dry ingredients:
Cut the dried chilies in half and discard the seeds. Mince them up and set aside.
Once theyre ready, thinly slice the mushrooms and give the wood ears a rough chop. Trim the tough ends off the lily flowers and cut them in half.
3. Prepare the tofu and the rest of the ingredients:
4. Assemble the soup:
Stir in the pork and quickly break up any clumps that may form. Once the soup is simmering again, skim off any foam that floats to the top with afine meshed strainer.
5. Taste and adjust to the way YOU like it:
You Asked For It Hot And Sour Soup
Many readers have emailed me and requested for Chinese hot and sour soup for the longest time, so I am really excited to be sharing this super easy hot and sour soup recipe that anyone can make at home.
This recipe takes only 15 minutes from prep to finish and youll have a pot of warm, hearty and utterly delicious soup that tastes like its straight from your favorite Chinese restaurants.
For those wondering, What is hot and sour soup? You might be wondering what is it made of and what ingredients are in hot and sour soup that actually makes it hot and sour.
Is hot and sour soup health? Yes, absolutely. Try my recipe, its only 99 calories!
Read Also: Campbell’s Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes Rice
What Makes Our Hot & Sour Soup Recipe Authentic
My grandparents owned a takeout restaurant.
Over the years at The Woks of Life, we have covered how to make many of these Chinese takeout classics. While I find that many takeout restaurants today are heavy on the grease while skimping on flavor, our goal is to really do each dish justice.
My dad and mom brushed up on old skills and recipes from our familys restaurant days to record recipes on the blog like this hot and sour soup.
Tips For Making Hot And Sour Soup
Read Also: Lipton Potatoes Recipe