Frying Tortilla Strips For Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Frying tortilla strips could not be easier. You literally heat up some oil, and while the oil heats, thinly slice up some flour or corn tortillas. A couple minutes of cooking in the hot oil, remove them with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Salt lightly. Try not to eat them all while you make the soup. for more tips on frying tortilla strips.
Need one more shortcut? Skip the frying of the tortillas, grab a bag of tortilla chips, lightly crush a few handfuls, and use those instead.
Chicken Tortilla Soup: This divine soup is scented with chili, cumin and coriander, and topped with all kinds of deliciousness, like avocado and tortilla crisps.
Tips For The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
To save time, use store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken that you have on hand. Of course you can roast or pan sauté chicken if youre so inclined.
Make sure to salt your soup to taste. I use low-sodium chicken broth and no-salt-added tomatoes and add a bit of salt to my soup so I can control the overall salt level.
The saltiness of low-sodium broth, rotisserie chickens, canned tomatoes, black beans, and personal preferences for salt all vary so salt to taste.
How To Make This Chicken Tortilla Soup In The Slow Cooker
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven pot and saute the onion and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and seasonings and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Turn on the slow cooker, add in the sauteed veggies. Then, add the corn, salsa, jalapeño, beans, chicken, and broth.
- Cover the slow cooker and set it on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours
- Open the slow cooker, remove the chicken breast and shred it. Return back the shredded chicken and stir in with the cheeses. Mix well.
- Top with additional garnishes and enjoy!
- Tip: If the tortilla soup is watery, use a spoon and mash some of the beans on the side of the pot, add in some cornstarch or flour
Read Also: Gluten-free Knorr Products
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect easy weeknight dinner. Full of shredded chicken, corn, beans, and homemade tortilla strips, this soup is a meal in itself. Its comforting, hearty, and filling.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Hi there! My name is Natalya and I run the blog Momsdish. If you already follow me, you know I cant get enough of easy meals that require simple ingredients
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
What will you need to make this zesty tortilla soup? It only requires 15 simple ingredients 10 of which are pantry staples!
- Olive oil To sauté the veggies.
- Onion The beginning of every great soup recipe.
- Cilantro If you dont love raw cilantro, you may still enjoy this soup, because the cilantro is well-cooked.
- Garlic Fresh is best!
- Chicken broth Use your favorite brand.
- Diced tomatoes Look for a brand of canned tomatoes that offers fired roasted for extra flavor.
- Chicken breasts Cook them whole, right in the broth.
- Ground cumin For deep smoky essence.
- Chili powder Or pure ground chiles.
- Cayenne pepper For a little kick!
- Bay leaves For a deep herbaceous note.
- Carrots If the skins arent rough and fuzzy, theres no need to peel the carrots.
- Monterey jack cheese To thicken the soup and to add as a garnish
- Avocados The perfect creamy topper.
- Bag of tortilla chips To thicken the soup and to add as a crunchy topping!
Read Also: Gf Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Tools For This Recipe
– Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
- 4-Quart Dutch Oven this is the perfect size for this soup. This one is high quality and youll have it forever.
- Pinch Bowls for measuring out ingredients ahead of time.
- Box Cheese Grater Shredding from a block tastes and melts much better than packaged cheese.
- Garlic Twister its much more flavorful to mince fresh garlic. This twister does it in seconds and is easy to clean and store.
How To Make It
The ingredient list on this recipe might be long, but the actual process is simple.
- Cook bacon pieces until crisp, remove to a paper towel lined plate. If you dont wish to use bacon, simply melt 2 Tablespoons of salted butter over medium heat instead.
- Add onion, pepper, and jalapeno to bacon grease and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock, diced tomatoes, beans, enchilada sauce, corn, chilis, spices, and chicken. Simmer.
- While chicken tortilla soup is simmering, prepare tortilla strips .
- Add cream cheese and lime juice to soup and stir until cream cheese is melted. If you dont love creamy soups, you can always leave the cream cheese out for a thinner soup with a more tomato-y base, but I love the flavor and creaminess that the cream cheese adds.
- Serve, topped with tortilla strips and other toppings , and with a side of my famous cornbread.
Read Also: Campbells Broccoli Chicken Rice Casserole
How To Make Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Only 5 steps to making this quick soup:
Can I Take Out The Cilantro
Yes and no. Yes, you can take out any ingredient, but NO it will not taste the same. I will say, I have served this easy chicken tortilla soup recipe to several cilantro haters, and they loved it.
They say the illusive soapy taste is removed through the cooking process. Just be sure to leave the fresh cilantro off at the end.
Read Also: Calphalon Elite Nonstick Soup Pot
More Ways To Make Tortilla Soup
- If you are looking to make it in a crockpot then check out my Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
- Another delicious variation to try is my Grilled Chicken Tortilla Soup which includes grilled chicken breast, grilled corn and fire roasted tomatoes for a delicious lightly charred background flavor, so good!
- Love a creamy soup? Try my Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup.
How To Make Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup
This section shows how to make keto tortilla soup, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Saute veggies. Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, and bell peppers. Saute the veggies until the onion is translucent and bell peppers have softened.
- Cook chicken. Add diced jalapeno, chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken breast, sea salt, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat until the chicken is cooked through.
- Shred chicken. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with two forks. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve. Your easy keto chicken tortilla soup is ready! Ladle it into bowls and add toppings as desired.
Don’t Miss: Wylers Soup Starter
Can You Make It In The Crock Pot Or Instant Pot
Yes, both will work!
- Slow cooker instructions: Feel free to take a shortcut by just dumping all the ingredients into your Crock Pot and cook for 5-6 hours on Low or 2.5-3 hours on High, until the chicken shreds easily. However, it will taste better if you still take the time to saute the veggies before adding to the slow cooker.
- Pressure cooker instructions: Cook the veggies in the Instant Pot using the Saute setting. Add remaining ingredients and cook on High pressure for 10 minutes. Release the pressure, shred the chicken, and proceed with toppings as usual.
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Make-Ahead Tip: the broth gets more and more flavorful the longer it marinates in itself. Can you say delicious leftovers? Make a big batch of tortilla soup and eat it for lunch throughout the week.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix Rice
The Best & Easiest Soup
Im in Soup Mode right now and taking advantage of this cool weather to try out even more soups.
I mean, how can you NOT love them?
Todays recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup tastes so good and is so simple that we wanted to make sure you could try it too. Being Hispanic, our family loves anything with tortillas, so this recipe was right up our alley.
We ended up topping it off with some homemade tortilla strips and cubed avocado, which made it even that much better!
If Im going to be honest, if a recipe calls for Chicken and Avocados, I pretty much know Ill love it. Put it in a soup form, and I love it even more. This really is the best and easiest soup!
Ingredients In Chicken Tortilla Soup
To make this delicious and hearty chicken tortilla soup, you will need the folling ingredients:
- olive oil
- chicken breasts – you will need 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips. You can also make this soup using ¾ to 1 cup leftover roast chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken. Shred the chicken using a fork and add it in along with the onions, garlic, jalapeño and carrot .
- seasonings – salt, paprika, ground cumin, and crushed red pepper .
For the toppings, you need tortilla chips, and all or a portion of the following toppings: fresh cilantro, lime, sour cream, avocado, and cheddar cheese .
You will also need a medium stockpot .
You May Like: Onion Soup Mix Potatoes
Ingredients For Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Tortillas: Corn tortillas, cut into thin strips corn tortillas are thicker and heartier than wheat tortillas. Usually smaller as well.
- Chicken: Can use either boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Dry seasonings: Smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, cayenne.
- Liquids: Oil. Whatever cooking oil you have on hand. Olive oil is always a good choice. Low sodium chicken broth, low sodium tomato sauce.
- Garlic: Minced.
- Veggies and legumes: Fresh or frozen corn. Low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained.
- Optional garnish: Fresh cilantro, lime, red onion, and avocado.
Yes Opening A Can Is Ok
We all know that keeping a well-stocked pantry is essential. As you make the transition to traditional foods, you will want to stock your pantry with whole food items. And its OK if the foods that you stock in your pantry are in cans from your grocery store. These canned items are wonderful back-ups when you simply dont have the time to prepare these foods in the traditional way. Real food is real food, even when you take a few short-cuts.
Canned Beans, canned vegetables, and canned meats mean that you can literally have a meal on the table in minutes. This easy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe provides an excellent example of how you can pull together your pantry items. And knowing that you are able to prepare a quick meal like this means that you are less likely to go through a fast-food drive-through. Your easy and nutritious meal is a success to be celebrated on your traditional foods journey!
Read Also: Campbells Chicken And Cheese Casserole
What To Serve With Tortilla Soup
Heres where it gets fun! Tortilla soup is so versatile that nearly anything can be served with it!
For soup toppings, try some sliced black olives, green chiles, shredded cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese, or cubes of avocados. This is definitely a recipe that will find its way to your table year round!
Storing Freezing And Reheating
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container or right in the pot for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Freeze in a glass container or resealable silicone bags leaving room for expansion for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for 6 hours.
Reheat: Reheat by simmering on low heat on the stovetop.
Don’t Miss: Chicken And Rice Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
To make this soup in the crockpot, either use boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs added at the start of the cook time, or add your already-cooked chicken about 30 minutes before the soup is otherwise finished cooking.
Add all your soup ingredients as directed to the crockpot, then cook on low heat for 5-6 hours or until the chicken shreds easily.
Easy Recipe Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy Hen Taco Soup is stuffed with the identical flavors present in your favorite rooster tacos, however in soup type.
Its hearty, wholesome and this stovetop model is extremely easy and quick to make!
Reading: Easy recipe chicken tortilla soup
High it together with your favourite toppings together with cheese, tortilla chips, bitter cream and jalapenos for the right one pot meal!
If youre a Mexican meals fan like Im, this Hen Taco Soup recipe goes to be life altering. Its simply what you want when its darkish and chilly outdoors, although Ive been recognized to make it all year long as a result of its that good.
Im not even kidding once I say that that is one of the best model of taco soup on the market. It has approvals from everyone and this rooster taco soup often vanishes earlier than you understand it and its so fast to make.
Read more: Copycat panera chicken noodle soup
We put out a plate of our favourite toppers like cheese, bitter cream and recent tomatoes and cilantro for everybody to high as they prefer it!
If youre like me, youll in all probability find yourself including every little thing particularly a squirt of lime and many crunchy tortilla chips for texture, and since tortilla chips are simply superior.
Recommended Reading: Dolly Parton’s Vegetable Soup Recipe
What Is Tortilla Soup
Tortilla soup is a Mexican-inspired soup made with a tomato base. It usually has ingredients like corn, beans, and often other additions like jalapenos and cilantro. It is simmered, then topped with crispy tortilla strips and whatever youd like to add.
Tortilla soup is most commonly made with chicken but you can also find it made with lamb, beef, and fish. Cooking the protein in the soup adds a ton of flavor!
How To Make Tortilla Soup
Its easy! Chicken tortilla soup takes just 30 minutes to cook. Prep your veggies first to save extra time. Make the tortilla strips while the soup is simmering .
You can also make the tortilla strips a few days in advance. They only need to pan fry for a minute or so on each side. Once theyre crisp, salt them and save them for later.
For the Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This recipe is crazy easy!
Don’t Miss: Campbells Chicken And Rice Bake Recipes
Low Carb Toppings To Add
- Keto Tortilla Chips These add crunch and the tortilla piece of this low carb tortilla soup.
- Shredded Cheese I used Monterey jack cheese, but you could also use sharp cheddar or a Mexican blend.
- Avocado Slice the avocado like I have or dice.
- Sour Cream Be sure to use full fat.
- Cilantro Roughly chop fresh cilantro. Feel free to omit if youre not a fan.
- Lime A squeeze of fresh lime juice brightens up the flavor of the soup when serving.
Why Make This Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Simple Ingredient List
- Includes Instructions For Slow Cooker/Pressure Cooker
- Ready In Just About 40 Minutes
Tortilla soup is one of those recipes that warms you from the inside out! It starts off with a rich, well developed broth, full of chicken and corn, then is finally topped off with crispy, crunchy tortilla strips, rich avocado slices, fresh, punchy cilantro and melty shredded cheddar cheese. Talk about easy and delicious!
Recommended Reading: Olive Garden Unlimited Soup Salad
What Sides To Serve With Hen Taco Soup
Clearly one thing Mexican impressed! You possibly can serve this rooster taco soup with Mexican Stuffed Peppers, Black Bean Quinoa Salad or in order for you one thing actually wholesome and low carb strive the Mexican Cauliflower Rice. This soup is actually hearty so it additionally stands nicely alone.
For those who like, you may add some rice and even pasta to this and make this a rooster taco pasta soup. Or simply spoon it off with some additional tacos. Both approach, the entire household will need seconds.
Dont neglect the toppings although as a result of theyre one of the best. Spending a couple of minutes prepping them is completely price it. My favourites are bitter cream, crushed tortilla chips or Doritos , chopped crimson onions and a few cilantro. A squirt of lime juice actually rounds off the flavours in every bowl.