What I Love About Vegan Potato Leek Soup
While winter is technically over, its still pretty chilly here, and some days I just want to cozy up with a warm bowl of soup. Thankfully, spring brings leeks and spring onions that are full of flavor.
So, this creamy vegan potato leek soup just makes sense, and it really couldnt be easier to make.
Can You Pressure Can Leeks
Using a pressure canner, add hot jars and 2 inches of hot water already stored within. The pressure canner lid should be attached to the heat on high with the steam in the can still visible. If you would like the steam to escape later, hold it at that temperature until visible white steam permeates it. Upon adding 10 pounds of weight, move them up to this pressure, and process them for 35 minutes with 3 pins.
What Kind Of Potatoes Do You Use For Potato Leek Soup
You can use either Yukon gold or Russet potatoes for this soup. Yukon golds will result in a creamier texture, and for this reason I recommend them over Russets, but both will work. Red-skinned waxy potatoes aren’t the best for a soup like this, because they tend to hold their shape, when in this soup you want a potato that will purée well.
Recommended Reading: Pot Roast Slow Cooker Onion Soup Mix Cream Of Mushroom
Whats Needed For The Best Potato Leek Soup
Speaking of simple, just a handful of ingredients are needed for this recipe. And theyre budget-friendly ones at that! Cant beat a soup thats easy and light on the wallet. Heres whats in it.
- Leeks: Since its leek season, you should be able to find leeks decently big in size. Youll need 3 of them!
- Broth: You can use either vegetable or chicken broth. But, Im using vegetable broth to keep this soup vegetarian.
- Potatoes: Yukon Golds are ideal for a beautiful yellow color and ultra-creamy consistency.
- Herbs & Aromatics: All you need are garlic, fresh thyme, and a bay leaf to give this soup a delicate herb-y flavor.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below
Top 20 Recipes For January
If youve been naughty over the Christmas holidays and want to get back into a healthy routine or try and lose a few pounds, some of our delicious healthy recipes will do the trick. Why not try fish for dinner instead with our citrus salmon recipe? Or a creamy leek and potato soup for lunch?
You dont have to be the only one being good this month as our recipes are suitable for the whole family, like our fast tuna pasta bake and our spicy stuffed peppers.
Leeks and rhubarbs are just some of the vegetables in season this month and we have some easy, and of course very tasty, ways to incorporate them in your family meals.
If you spot a recipe that youd love to make, save it with your very own online recipe book. Its easy to start all you need to do is sign in through Facebook, get saving and all your favourite recipes will be ready and waiting for you in one place.
Incoming search terms:
Recommended Reading: Lipton Pot Roast Oven
What Do We Need
- Leeks – 3 large leeks or 4-5 smaller leeks. We’re using just the white parts and the light green parts of the leek – you’ll need about 750g of sliced leeks altogether. Be use to check the leeks aren’t dirty or filled with grit. Sand and soil can get right down in the leaves, so give them a good rinse to remove any dirt.
- Use floury potatoes – such Maris Piper or red-skinned Rooster potatoes. Floury potatoes work better than waxy potatoes, as they break down more smoothly and give a creamier taste.
Can You Freeze Homemade Leek And Potato Soup
All you need for this soup is a freeze. If you are going to freeze it, break the soup into small pieces so that it is completely smooth. However, if you are going to microwave the soup, potatoes will have a grainy texture after you microwave it. Your soup will sometimes separate after you freeze it and defrost it.
Leek And Potato Soup Ingredients:
- Leeks: essential for a LEEK soup!! You can use the pre-frozen packs of sliced leeks or buy them whole. Choose big, crisp ones. Chop off the dark green stems so youre left with the white and light green end. I usually wait until they are on sale and grab a few bunches – you can chop and freeze them for later use too! If in a bind use onion and greens onions in their place.
- Potatoes: also essential! I like to use russet potatoes or any variety on the starchier side as they sort of melt as they get tender. Yukon gold will work as well.
- Butter & olive oil: I like to do a bit of both but feel free to do one or the other
- Broth: I choose chicken because it has more depth of flavour than vegetable stock/broth. But vegetable stock can work here too.
- White wine: Optional, but the alcohol cooks out, and it adds great depth of flavor!
- Fresh thyme or substitute dried. And I often throw in a bay leaf as well for extra flavour.
- Heavy cream: its optional but gives this soup an even more luxurious texture and flavour or substitute whole milk or half and half. Check notes below for vegan options.
- Onions & Garlic: these are optional but I find they add so much more flavour to the soup – and dare I say again – depth or layers of flavour.
How To Make Potato Leek Soup
Potato leek soup is simple to make, but first you have to deal with the leeks. Theyre notoriously sandy and dirty, and very good at hiding it, so be sure to wash them well. Start by cutting off and discarding the root ends and thick dark green parts. Cut the leeks in half lengthwise and rinse each half under cold water, pulling apart the layers to remove any grit thats tucked inside.
Once the leeks are clean, roughly chop them you should get about five cups of chopped leeks from four large leeks.
To make the soup, melt the butter in a large soup pot, then add the chopped leeks and garlic.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and wilted.
Next, add the potatoes, chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Then cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Fish out the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
Then purée the soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth.
Finally, add the heavy cream. You can reduce the amount if youd like but I wouldnt leave it out completely. Cream makes the soup deliciously silky, rich, and smooth just add it little by little until the soup tastes good to you.
Bring to a simmer, then taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with fresh thyme, chives, or anything you like.
You May Like: Roast Cream Of Mushroom Onion Soup Mix
Tips For This Leek And Potato Soup:
- Pureeing – do not puree it for too long! Only puree it until it is just smooth. The reason is that excessive churning of potato can cause it to turn gummy
- If you dont have a hand blender, you can use a food processor or conventional blender too.
- Make this Potato Leek Soup vegetarian by swapping the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- Add chopped bacon for a whole new soup. Or sauté bacon first remove and cook leeks and onions in bacon fat – reserve the bacon bits for topping later.
- Top with cheese for even more flavour
How To Prepare Leeks For The Soup
- Trim away stringy roots.
- Cut the leeks between the white and light green portion and the dark green portion. Slice in half through the length of every portion with a chefs knife.
- Rinse both on the exterior of the leeks as well as rinsing well between interior layers to remove dirt and debris.
- From there turn on their flat cut side onto the cutting board and cut those white and light green portions into 1/4-inch slices .
- Layer together the remaining dark greens of the leaks into 2 snug portions then wrap and tie with kitchen twine .
Recommended Reading: French Onion Beef And Noodles
Top Results For Baked Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Classic Potato Leek Soup Recipe | Food Network Kitchen …
Copy the link and share
Potato-Leek Soup Recipe: How To Make It
Copy the link and share
Real Potato Leek Soup Recipe | Allrecipes
Copy the link and share
Potato Leek Soup Recipe | MyRecipes
Copy the link and share
Potato Leek Soup Recipe | Robert Irvine | Food Network
Copy the link and share
10 Leek And Potato Recipes That Go Beyond Soup | Allrecipes
Copy the link and share
Ways To Serve Potato Leek Soup
- On its own! Since the base of this soup is potatoes, it is a bit filling. But to amp it up, you can add a ton of freshly chopped herbs, crispy bacon bits, or even crushed nuts.
- As a side soup. I love to eat this alongside a fresh salad plate, such as this mandarin chicken salad, shaved Brussels sprouts salad, or a simple massaged kale salad.
- Make it an appetizer. Ladle this into small bowls for an easy and hearty appetizer!
Read Also: Pillsbury Recipes Pot Pie
How Do You Store Leaks
What Goes In Leek And Potato Soup
Here what you need:
Leeks essential for a LEEK soup!! Though if you are desperate to make this an leeks are obscenely expensive / you cant get your hands on them, substitute for onions
Potatoes use starchy or all rounders, they fall apart when simmered which means less blending for creamy soup = less risk of gluey soup*. Australia: Sebago , US: Russet UK: Maris Piper
Broth I choose chicken because it has more depth of flavour than vegetable stock/broth. But vegetable stock is also ideal here!
Creamy is optional. This soup is still thick and creamy even without, it just adds a luxurious mouthfeel.
* Common problem with Potato Leek Soups that call for blitzing to death until completely smooth. Power of blender = activates starch in potatoes = gluey. Same thing that happens if you use a food processor or blender for mashed potato!
You May Like: Campbell Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
How To Make Leek And Potato Soup:
How To Make The Perfect Leek And Potato Soup And The Common Mistakes To Avoid
Warming, delicious and always well-recieved, add leek and potato soup to your menu this week.
Choose ingredients carefully
Leek and potato soup has few ingredients, so choose the best quality you can find. Use a light chicken stock or a vegetable stock to keep the flavour subtle and floury potatoes only, please – waxy ones will not work at all.
Slowly cook your leeks in foaming butter to begin with. This will bring out the natural sweetness of the leek. If you want to up the allium stakes, like Darina does in her recipe below, add an onion at this stage. There is no need for garlic in this soup – it would overcome the delicate flavour.
Don’t worry about adding herbs
While some recipes for leek and potato soup add herbs like thyme or even sometimes tarragon, the classic leek and potato does not need it. A sprig of parsley is always welcome when it comes to serving, or even a snip of chives.
Add the dairy
The natural creaminess of this soup is enhanced with the addition of dairy, be it milk or cream. If you don’t want to add it into the soup, for fear of making it too rich, then serve with a swirl of double cream.
To blend or not to blend
If you like your soup to be chunky, be our guest, but leek and potato soup comes into its own when puréed into a silky smooth soup.
How to serve
Serve with thick slices of homemade brown bread, spread with butter and topped with slices of Cheddar cheese.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipes
Can Leek Soup Be Canned
The bases of each jar should be coated with sliced leeks, with diced potatoes and topping with more leeks on top, to 1 inch . headspace clearance for plastic bottles of 5cm. Then push a button in the pressure canner, which already holds 2 inches of hot water. Put pressure canner lid on and heat to get visible white steam for 10 minutes.
How To Cut Leeks
Trim the root off. Take a peek and if you can see dirt in the layers, then split the leek in half and separate all the layers, wash them well, then slice per below.
If you dont see dirt , cut your leeks as pictured below:
Cut off the dark green reedy top and discard
White end finely slice and
Pale green middle part peel off reedy outer layers and finely slice the softer middle part.
You May Like: Anderson Pea Soup Santa Nella
How Do You Store Leeks After Harvest
If youd like to store leeks for 7 to 10 days, you may wrap them in a damp paper towel, then affix them to an perforated plastic bag in the refrigerator. A smaller batch of leeks holds better than one for longer periods of time. The roots should be trimmed, the leaves cleaned, and the stems drained before refrigerating the mixture. The best conditions to store a tomato are 32F and 95 to 100 percent relative humidity to stores.
Video Result For Baked Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Potato Leek Soup from Garden Fresh Vegetables
Roasted potato and leek soup with Chorizo
The Best Potato Leek Soup Ever!
How to make potato leek soup | fennel vegan soup |…
Golden Potato-Leek Soup with Cheddar Toast Recipe
Creamy Potato Leek Soup | Dairy-free
How to make National Trust Leek and Potato Soup
Potato Leek Soup
Potato Leek Soup with Bacon & Chives | Bake It With…
Potato Cauliflower Leek Soup | Food & Tunes
Homemade Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
Leek and Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic. So Easy to…
Potato and Leek Bake
Potato Soup with Cauliflower and Leeks – Healthy…
VEGAN POTATO & LEEK SOUP
Roasted Potato Soup Easy Recipe
Creamy Fermented Leek & Potato Soup
Leek, fennel and potato soup.
Rosemary Potato Roasted Leek & Garlic Soup -…
Potato Leek Soup with Roasted Chickpea
Beth’s Potato and Leek Soup- NO CREAM
LEEK POTATO SOUP: quick and easy recipe !
Slow Cooker Easy Potato & Leek soup Recipe 🙂
Potato, carrot and leek soup | Cook with me | #withme…
Potato and Leek Soup with Herbed Croutons | Food For…
Ninja Foodie Loaded Potato Leek Soup
Best Potato Leek Soup Recipe – Munchkin…
Perfect Potato Leek Soup | Home Movies with…
Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup | Easy Crock Pot…
Loaded Baked Potato-Style Cauliflower Soup | Live
Healthy Vegan Mediterranean Herbed Socca~Chickpea…
Best Cauliflower Potato Soup By Risa
Loaded Potato Soup Recipe – Laura Vitale – Laura in…
Pressure Canning Potato Leek Soup
How to Make Potato Soup
Also Check: Mrs Grass Soup Copycat Recipe
What To Serve With Potato Leek Soup
Think of this potato soup as you would a potato side, but in liquid form. You don’t really need any more starch to round out the meal, but it is hard to resist dipping a slice of crusty bread in this soup.
Serve the soup as the starter to a steak dinner , or roasted chicken. The soup would go well with a side of greens , and/or a vinaigrette-tossed fresh salad.
How To Make Potato Leek Soup:
Detailed instructions are included in the recipe below. But here is a quick overview of how to make potato leek soup:
Don’t Miss: All Clad D5 Stock Pot
How To Freeze And Reheat Potato Leek Soup
You can easily freeze this soup. I recommend puréeing the soup until it’s completely smooth if you want to freeze it, as any chunks of potatoes in the soup will have a grainy texture once defrosted.
Sometimes there is separation in soup once you freeze and defrost it. If this happens to you, just purée the soup again until smooth.
Any way you make it, it’s simple, delicious, and satisfying. Enjoy!