Why This Recipe Works
- You can make this entire soup recipe in one pot!
- This healthy cream of mushroom soup is much lower in fat and calories than a regular version of cream of mushroom soup without sacrificing any of the delicious flavor!
- Super quick and easy recipe that is a great start to any meal or can be served as the main dinner dish with some delicious crusty bread. I also love this soup served over Forbidden Black Rice for a super hearty meal.
- You can easily make this recipe vegetarian by using vegetable or mushroom stock.
S To Make This Cream Of Mushroom Recipe
- 1. Saute the onion and garlic in the butter until starting to brown and soften, 4 to 6 minutes.
- 2. Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme and saute until the mushrooms are reduced down and most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3. Add sherry and rosemary and cook until the liquid is evaporated.
- 4. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- 5. Add the broth and stir to mix the flour into the soup. Bring to a simmer while stirring often.
- 6. Simmer until thickened, stirring often.
- 7. Add milk and return to a simmer, stirring often.
- 8. Ladle into bowls, top with chives and drizzle with truffle oil.
Ingredient Tips & Substitutions
- Oil: Use a neutral-tasting oil like grapeseed oil, rice bran oil, extra-light olive oil, non-GMO canola oil, or vegetable oil. You can use another medium-heat oil, but it could affect the flavor.
- Milk Beverage: Each milk beverage performs differently and tastes a little different. I recommend using your favorite go-to unsweetened milk alternative for cooking purposes. Weve enjoyed this recipe most with unsweetened rice milk, cashew milk, and coconut milk beverage. For our tastes, almond milk was too pronounced, but I know some of you will like it. However, I would use caution with milk beverages that have added protein. Most added protein brands separate when cooked or thicken overzealously.
- Flour: All-purpose will produce the most seamless results. You can use wheat flour, it will just be a little more rustic in taste. White rice flour is the gluten-free flour weve found works best. You might adventure another gluten-free flour, but I cant guarantee the results without testing. And do not use coconut flour. It does not substitute 1:1 for all-purpose flour not even close!
- Starch: If you have issues with corn, you can substitute arrowroot starch. It doesnt perform quite as well in my opinion, but it generally gets the job done.
Read Also: Chicken Soup Delivery Gift
Try Sour Cream Or Plain Greek Yogurt
If you dont have other condensed soup options on hand or the time to make a homemade alternative, you can simply use sour cream or plain Greek yogurt with added seasonings.
Greek yogurt and light sour cream also make for an especially healthy cream of chicken soup substitute.
Add these to your dish to mimic the creaminess and consistency of cream of chicken soup.
Paleo Cream Of Celery Soup
Don’t forget! Share for later
A recipe for cream of celery soup without the cream? Yup! cause who needs it? I’d rather get all the fiber and nutrients from cauliflower and the nice fats from olive oil or coconut oil.
Cream of “fill in the blank” soups used to be a staple for a lot of us in the good-old Campbell soup recipe days. And I personally used to eat a lot of Campbell’s soup.
Remind me to tell you about that college Campbell’s soup budget another day. I think my sodium was probably off the charts, but I saved a whole lot of cash eating nothing but Campbell’s soups for a month.
Read Also: Gf Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
How Do You Buy The Best Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup
Do you get stressed out thinking about shopping for a great Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup? Do doubts keep creeping into your mind?
We understand, because weve already gone through the whole process of researching Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup, which is why we have assembled a comprehensive list of the greatest Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup available in the current market. Weve also come up with a list of questions that you probably have yourself.
John Harvards has done the best we can with our thoughts and recommendations, but its still crucial that you do thorough research on your own for Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup that you consider buying. Your questions might include the following:
- Is it worth buying an Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup?
- What benefits are there with buying an Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup?
- What factors deserve consideration when shopping for an effective Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup?
- Why is it crucial to invest in any Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup, much less the best one?
- Which Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup are good in the current market?
- Where can you find information like this about Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup?
Were convinced that you likely have far more questions than just these regarding Low Sodium Cream Of Celery Soup, and the only real way to satisfy your need for knowledge is to get information from as many reputable online sources as you possibly can.
How To Make It
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Let it fully melt and begin to foam. This allows the water in the butter to cook off which will create a smoother consistency.
Gradually sprinkle in the flour and whisk continuously for 3-5 minutes to cook off the raw flour taste. It will become the consistency of wet sand.
Remove from heat. Add 1/3 of the chicken broth, whisk well. Whisk in 1/3 more, until combined. Finally, whisk in the rest. Temper the milk by microwaving it for 45 seconds, slowly add it to the saucepan and whisk to combine.
Add the seasonings. Add to medium-high heat to thicken it back up.
Whisk continuously as it increases in temperature and reaches near-boiling point. It will become very thick. Remove from heat immediately once its thickened. It will thicken even more as it sits.
PRO TIP: Run the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to make it super smooth, just like a can of condensed soup.
This strainer is also a perfect tool for making homemade chicken stock, or to run oil through if you want to reuse it after making a batch of fried chicken or french fries. Its a great investment in the kitchen.
You May Like: Baked Chicken With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Get The Right Texture
What if its too thin / thick?
- If it is too thin, add in a slurry of cornstarch and water. Do this in equal parts, try 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water.
- If it is too thick, add in extra milk or chicken stock.
How to keep from getting lumpy? The lumps in your soup could be from flour not being properly incorporated. This can be avoided by creating a flour slurry that you add to the stock. Take your flour and start adding the milk from your recipe until it forms a slurry. Mix your flour and milk until there are no lumps. Then add this slurry to your stock as well as any extra milk.
Low Sodium Substitute For Condensed Cream Soups In Casseroles
Condensed cream soups are staples in many casserole recipes and for good reason, because the soups are convenient and they provide flavor and a rich, creamy consistency. However, condensed cream soups also add large amounts of unhealthy sodium. You can purchase low-sodium varieties of cream soups, or you can use other healthy alternatives.
Read Also: Lipton Onion Gravy Recipe
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Homemade cream of celery soup is a delicious, easy, healthier alternative to the canned versions. It uses pantry staples like all-purpose flour, chicken broth, and heavy cream, plus fresh produce and simple seasonings. You control the amount of salt you use, too!
- This recipe is naturally low carb. You can easily make it dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and/or vegan if youd like! Perfect for an all-inclusive dinner.
- If youre a fan of freezer meals, this is a must make for you! Cream of celery soup freezes really well. Just let it cool completely, transfer it to a freezer-safe container, and freeze it up to 4 months. If youre storing it in a sealable freezer bag, lay the bag flat in the freezer until the soup is solid. After that you can store it upright without it taking up a ton of space.
The Ingredients Youll Need
Youâll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty cream of mushroom soup. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Hereâs an overview of what youâll need:
Unsalted butter: For cooking the mushrooms and garlic. I love using creamy European butter. But any butter will be great.
Fresh mushrooms: I normally use cremini mushrooms. White mushrooms are fine too. Sometimes when Iâm out of fresh mushrooms but still crave this soup, I use a package of frozen mushrooms, as shown in the video. That works too, and you can add them frozen to the pot. Theyâll release more liquid than fresh mushrooms, but I havenât found that to be a problem.
Minced garlic: Mince it yourself, or use the stuff that comes in a jar. Both work.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the soup could end up too salty.
Chicken broth: Store-bought is fine. But when I have homemade chicken broth, I use that instead.
Dried thyme: Make sure itâs fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Heavy cream: I tried once to use half-and-half instead, and decided that heavy cream is much better.
Cornstarch: I use it to thicken the soup. If youâd rather not use it, another option is to puree the soup in batches in a stand blender . The mushrooms will be better pureed, and this will considerably thicken the soup without any added thickeners.
Read Also: Beefy Onion Soup Mix Pot Roast
What To Serve With Chicken Casserole
This recipe comes from Plain Chicken reader, Kathy. She left a comment on another post with her recipe. It sounded so good, that we had to give it a try! I am SO glad that we made it! This has quickly become a weeknight favorite at our house!
This recipe makes a lot of food. It is great for potlucks or when you have to feed a crowd. Leftovers are equally delicious reheated. We usually serve this with some green beans or broccoli. This is also great with a salad and a roll.
Here are a few of our favorite recipes from the blog that go great with this easy casserole:
How To Make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
This chili is effortless to make in the crockpot with only a few simple ingredients. To make the chili, place some boneless chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Add chili beans, black beans, Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles, cream cheese, ground cumin, chili powder, chicken broth, buffalo hot sauce, and ranch dressing mix. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 6 hours. Remove the chicken breasts from the crock pot and shred with 2 forks. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker, stir, and serve.
You May Like: Best Canned French Onion Soup
Vegan Cream Of Kale And Celery Recipe Notes
How do I store kale and celery soup?
Leftover soup can be stored in the fridge, in a covered container, for 3 days. Or frozen for 4-6 months.
How do I reheat kale and celery soup?
To reheat leftovers gently bring to a simmer, and heat for 2-3 minutes until piping hot. Stir frequently to prevent sticking and if necessary add extra veggie stock to loosen up the soup.If frozen, defrost completely before reheating.
Is creamy kale and celery soup gluten-free?
Yes. This recipe uses gluten-free plain flour to thicken up the stock. Ensure that your vegan stock is also gluten-free. I use the Marigold brand which is gluten-free.
Can I use any substitutions?
* kale can be subbed for spinach, collards, spring greens, chard, etc.* not keen on celery? sub for broccoli or courgette* if you dont like creamy soups simply use extra veggie stock instead of plant-milk and omit the gluten-free flour
What can I serve with cream of kale and celery soup?
How To Make Low
Full recipe for this keto soup is at the end of this post.
Read Also: Campbells Cheesy Chicken And Rice
How Do You Make Cream Of Chicken Soup From Scratch
There are many tried and tested ways of making cream of chicken soup. Heres a basic version that can be easily altered to suit you:
- Step1: Using a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over a medium heat.
- Step 2: After about two minutes the butter should be fully melted. Whisk in 24 g of white flour and continue to cook until the mixture is fully mixed and started to thicken.
- Step 3: Mix in 118 ml of chicken stock and 118 ml of milk and stir well until everything is fully mixed in.
- Step 4: Still on a medium heat, bring the mixture to a simmer until it thickens. This should take up to seven minutes. Make sure you mix continuously as it simmers to stop the mixture from sticking.
- Step 5: Remove the saucepan from the stove once it is as thick as you want it. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir well.
- Step 6: If you want to eat the soup straight away make sure it is piping hot all the way through before removing from the heat and transfer it to a bowl of your choosing. If you plan to use it at a later date transfer it to a refrigerator safe container and use within three days.
This is just a basic recipe, if you want to add more flavors and textures add in some cooked chicken pieces and vegetables such as leeks, carrots or celery and season with parsley.
Campbells Well Yes Butternut Squash Bisque
Best fall soup
When it comes to her favorite brands, Stoler is most impressed with Campbells innovation over the years. This pick has butternut squash, onions, celery and carrots, as well as sweet potato and apple juice concentrates and a dash of cream.
Per serving: 140 calories, 5g fat, 2g protein, 22g carbs, 9g sugar, 590mg sodium, 1g fiber
Also Check: Roast With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
How To Make Creamy Celery Soup:
Start with cutting the celery into roughly the same-sized pieces, about an inch 1.5 inches, dont worry about precision as the soup is going to be puréed anyway. You just want it to cook evenly. In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Add the celery.
Add the salt, pepper, potato, and parsley.
Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
Cover and lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the celery and potatoes are soft enough that they can be easily pureed .
Remove the soup from heat and remove enough stock so that the celery just covered by the remaining stock. Set the reserved stock aside.
Then Remove some of the chopped celery and set aside.
This will be added back into the soup to give it some texture.
Purée the soup with a stick blender in the pot adding the reserved stock little by little until the soup reaches the desired consistency.
If you dont have a stick blender a food processor or blender would work too.
Add the reserved celery, mix to combine, serve hot and enjoy!
Homemade Cream Soup Mix
Control the amount of sodium in cream soup by making your own cream soup mix from nonfat dry milk, cornstarch, white pepper and seasonings such as garlic powder and onion flakes or onion powder. If your diet allows a small amount of sodium, flavor the soup with dried low-sodium bouillon. Avoid garlic salt, which is very high in sodium. Store the mix in your refrigerator, and add water along with cooked potatoes, beans, mushrooms, cheese or onions to adapt the soup mix to casseroles or recipes.
You May Like: Chef’s Cupboard Chicken Noodle Soup
How To Make A Substitute For Cream Of Celery Soup
Start by whisking together the milk and flour in a small bowl or measuring cup. Make sure that the flour is well mixed and no clumps remain.
Next, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. After the butter melts, add the celery, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Continue to cook until the celery softens. Usually this takes about 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in the vegetable broth, and whisk to combine.
Increase the heat slightly to bring to a simmer. The mixture does not need to boil, just barely simmer. At this point, add the milk and flour mixture.
Make sure to whisk constantly. The ingredients will thicken quickly and could burn if they arent being whisked.
As soon as the soup thickens, remove from heat.