How To Make Onion Soup Mix Pot Roast
- Youll need the following:
- a chuck roast
- one envelope of onion soup mix
- a few peeled potatoes
- a handful or two of baby carrots
- salt, pepper, and olive oil
Which Cut Of Meat Is The Best
- My mother-in-law always used chuck roast, either bone-in or boneless depending on what was available. Ive typically done the same. Though bone-in is generally considered to be more flavorful, I would say its very hard to discern the difference. Both are delicious.
- Though Ive always considered chuck roast the best cut for this preparation, I recently used a shoulder roast with equally excellent results.
Pot Roast Making Tools
- Garlic press Need fresh minced or sliced garlic, but dont want to peel or chop your garlic? This garlic press is the bessssssst. Weve had ours for as long as I can remember , and I use it several times a week!
- Cuisinart knife block These are the knives we got for our wedding in 2003 . We still use them every single day. And theyre still great! Also, theyre a really classic looking knife, which I really like!
- 6.5 Quart dutch oven This enameled cast iron dutch oven can go from stove top to oven, and look beautiful doing it. Perfect for chilis, roasts, breads, and stews. Mine is yellow, what color will you choose?
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Delivered to your inbox
How To Make French Onion Pot Roast
I really wrestled with whether to chop the onions for this recipe or slice them. Traditionally, French onion soup features sliced onions. However, I decided to chop my onions so they could incorporate into the gravy rather than needing to be scooped up by the forkful. You are welcomed to choose either method.
Whats The Best Meat For Pot Roast
The best meat for a pot roast is the meat that is on sale. Theres really no bad meat for a pot roast! That said, because pot roast cooks slow and long, you dont need to use an expensive cut of meat. Any cut of meat will be tender with this recipe.
We used chuck roast in this recipe, but other great choices are chuck shoulder pot roast, chuck seven-bone pot roast, or beef chuck arm.
Don’t Miss: Potato Soup Recipes Using Frozen Hash Browns
Instant Pot Pot Roast:
Cut roast in half. Season as directed. Using the sauté setting, sear the roast in the Instant Pot with oil on all sides. Take meat out, deglaze the pot, add 1 cup of beef broth, and return the roast. Pour sauce mixture on top and cook on high pressure for 60-80 minutes , or until tender. Allow a 15 minute natural pressure release.
Did You Make This Recipe
What to do with the leftovers from That Old Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe:
Ill be sharing That Old Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe at Fiesta Friday #242, cohosted this week by and Youre going to love all the bloggers that share their best recipes of the week at Fiesta Friday but do drop by and see Jhuls. Youre going to love each creative recipe and take a sec to stop by and see Jen. Shes going to have you in stitches with a helping of her real-life stories along with each recipe.
Recommended Reading: Calphalon 4 Qt Soup Pot
More Pot Roast Recipes
- Theres nothing quite as classic and easy as Slow Cooker Pot Roast. Our version of this popular recipe yields tender and delicious beef thats perfect for tonights dinner!
- If youre looking for a tasty, fall-apart-tender roast beef recipe thats juicy as all get-out, check out our Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast. Serve over mashed potatoes- no gravy needed, not with all the juices from this amazing roast!
Ingredients For Onion Soup Roast
- Roasting Meat We went with a chuck roast, but you could try this recipe with any of your favorite roasting meats.
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix If you dont have any of this on hand, we have a Copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix Recipe you can follow. It uses some spice cabinet ingredients you probably already have on hand!
- Salt & Pepper
Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast
There are all sorts of neat little tricks that people have to add all sorts of rich, delicious flavor to their favorite pot roasts. Browning, Worcestershire, and soy sauce- chances are, youve heard them all. What you might not be too familiar with is using some Lipton onion soup mix in your pot roast! This special little ingredient not only helps make juicy, tender pot roasts but it makes them super flavorful!
We also went out of our way to make this pot roast in the oven- while slow cooker pot roasts are super easy and delicious, ovens still work. Some of us also might not have slow cookers or instant pots on hand- but I imagine most of you have ovens! Besides, theres a certain charm to pulling a well-cooked pot roast from the oven- especially when its one this tasty!
This oven pot roast recipe is especially easy to make. If youre wondering how to make a tender beef roast in the oven, our instructions here are the answer youre looking for. So grab your favorite dutch oven and get to cooking! Youre going to love making this juicy pot roast in the oven.
French Onion Pot Roast
Cozy up to a pot of French Onion Pot Roast on a chilly winter evening. The rich flavors of French onion soup soak into hearty red potatoes and luxuriously tender beef.
I think pot roast is one of the most quintessentially midwestern dishes to ever hit a dutch oven. Its simplicity is its beauty, ingredients are prepared with minimum effort while the low and slow cooking methods creates the magic. While you spend the afternoon counting flowers on the wall, the tough cut of beef slowly melts into a mouthwatering meal.
A traditional pot roast typically features carrots. However, I don’t find carrots to be a good flavor companion to French onion soup, which is why they are omitted. Red potatoes, however, are perfectly suited to soak up every delicious drop of flavor-infused juice. Not only is their creamy, mild, flavor a great addition to the pot roast, red potatoes hold up well to long cooking times, unlike traditional baking potatoes.
You May Like: Lipton Soup Pot Roast Recipe
Making A Classic Pot Roast In The Slow Cooker
If you plan to be out of the house at work or running errands and you would rather use your Crock Pot to prepare the pot roast, that’s definitely an option! I’ve included instructions for the slow cooker pot roast below, too.
And while I like to sear the roast in a pan for tons of added flavor before it goes in the oven , that step is not mandatory. If you prefer to just dump-and-bake the ingredients, that will work! Keep it simple and enjoy the easiest, coziest pot roast that you’ll ever taste!
Create A Free Account To Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON FRENCH ONION POT ROAST
- Onions: Try white onions for a more traditional French Onion soup or use Vidalia Onions for a less potent, slightly sweet onion flavor. For a spicier, sharper onion flavor, use a mixture of half red onions and half yellow onions.
- Veggies: Turn this soup into a stew by adding large chunks of carrots, sweet potatoes, or red potatoes to the broth before placing in the oven. You can also stir in kale, broccoli, cabbage, or spinach during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Cheese: Use other fancy, but easier to find, cheese that melt easily like Swiss cheese, provolone cheese, Havarti cheese, or Muenster cheese to save money and still get flavor!
- Wine: Add up to 1 cup dry red wine, dry white wine, sherry, or brandy with the broth to add more traditional French flavors. For red wine, try a Pinot Noir or Merlot. For white wine, use Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris.
Slow Cooker French Onion Pot Roast
Instant Pot French Onion Pot Roast
EASY, CLASSIC FRENCH RECIPES
HOW TO STORE FRENCH ONION POT ROAST
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
You May Like: Lipton Soup Pot Roast
Onion Soup Mix Pot Roast
Onion Soup Mix Pot Roast was one of my favorite recipes that my mom made when we were growing up. The kitchen always smelled amazing as it was cooking and the meat, potatoes, and carrots were all SO tender. It might not be the definition of a cheesy, fatty comfort food but it was the ultimate comfort food to me!
How is it possible that recipes and foods can just take you back to your childhood so easily?? I would love to actually know the science behind how food is such a form of nostalgia. I think thats why I love cooking so much its a hobby that easily transports me back to being a kid or being at my grandmothers or a perfect holiday meal. I hope our girls remember certain recipes as they are growing up that just reminds them of home like this one does for me.
Onion Soup Mix Pot Roast is one of the easiest and most delicious meals! It takes about 10 minutes of attention and a warm oven thats it! You can easily make this recipe in a crock pot if you prefer. Ive done it in the crock pot and in the oven and both taste just as good. I usually use the oven method because it takes about 2 1/2 hours as opposed to all day in the crock pot. Whichever way you make it, it will come out delicious every time!
How To Make Gravy For Pot Roast
You can remove the meat and vegetables and pour the leftover juices through a strainer and use it as a sauce to pour over the meat and vegetable mixture. This is how I usually do it because its quick and easy.
Gravy Tip: If you prefer a thicker gravy consistency for your Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast, strain the juices and then place them in a sauce pan or frying pan. Add 2 Tbsp of cornstarch to 1/2 cup of water. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the pan with the juices and bring to a low boil. Stir until mixture thickens up. If it gets too thick add in a little water to thin.
Don’t Miss: Campbells Chicken Rice Broccoli
Ingredients You Need To Make A Classic Pot Roast
- Beef chuck roast
When your family is ready to come together around the table for a hearty meal at the end of the day, your slow cooker pot roast, veggies, and gravy will be waiting for you.
Add a crusty loaf of bread or even more mashed potatoes on the side — something to soak up the juices — and you’ve got a nourishing and comforting dinner to share with loved ones.
How To Make Beef Roast With Onion Soup Mix
While our roast is going to pick up plenty of flavors during its long roast time in the oven, a little salt and pepper will go a long way! Give your roast a quick hit of salt and pepper- make sure you pat it in real well.
Additionally, were going to give our roast a quick coating of flour as well. This will help with browning once you start searing it.
Youll then want to roast this in a large pan or dutch oven. Make sure to brown it on all sides.
Remove your beef roast from your pan but leave any drippings in the pan. Were going to add some flour to our roast juices here to make a quick roux.
Allow that roux to cook for a little bit. Once the raw flour smell to cook off and your roux has cooked to a nice, rich brown, youll want to add a packet of your onion soup mix. If youre making a smaller roast, youll likely want to use just half a packet- you can use the other half here in a little bit. Mix that in and allow it to bubble a little bit before moving on to the next step.
We are going to need some more liquids in the pot for this roast. Stir some stock in gradually, making sure youre stirring constantly the entire time. This is going to make a sort of gravy-like sauce thats going to make our beef roast taste amazing!
After letting this sauce come up to a boil, were finally going to add our roast back to the party. Put it back in your cooking vessel of choice and top it with an extra packet of our onion soup mix.
More About Pot Roast Onion Soup Recipes
FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromFromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromFromFromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »FromSee details »From
Classic Oven Pot Roast
Nothing is as comforting as a flavorful, fork-tender oven pot roast. Best of all, this is ready for the oven in only 15 minutes, and uses simple ingredients you probably have in your pantry!
When its August in the South, consistently nearly 90 degrees, and humid enough that you want to take a shower the moment you step out the door, I feel like I should be eating things like cucumber tomato salad and light, refreshing raw veggies for dinner. Crunchy, cold things.
But what was I supposed to do when jumbo-packs of stew-meat pot roast chunks were half off at Harris Teeter? It was out of my control. I dont know how that value pack ended up in my cart, officer.
Well, I considered making something exciting and unexpected like French dip sandwiches or Chipotle-knockoff barbacoa with it.
But then the more I thought about it, and the more we had dark, night-like afternoons filled with thunderstorms that make you want to curl up under a blanket, the more regular ol classic pot roast started to sound like just the thing to do with three pounds of beef.
My mom, you should know, has been known to make a mean pot roast. At one point I asked her about it and she said she had forgotten how to make it.
What?! FORGOTTEN how to make the pot roast? The legendary fork-tender fall-apart meat and potatoes? The loss of a national treasure! Tragedy.
It may not be a slow-cooker recipe, but this classic oven pot roast is just as simple.
Also Check: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe: The Delicious Soup Recipe Ever
Lipton onion soup pot roast recipe is the easiest recipe to make juicy and soft baked meat in the oven. This ancient recipe is very great to eat and serve on weekends. There will be some small tricks that you should do to cook this delicious soup. You can combine Lipton onion into the soup. The special ingredient helps your baked meat to be soft and juicy. It tastes so tasty.
The Cooking Time
This recipe takes tentative time depending on your method. It is suitable for 6 to 8 services. This recipe belongs to American cuisine.
Ingredients of Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe
When you want to cook this Lipton onion soup pot roast recipe, you will prepare the following ingredients.
- 3 ½ pounds of beef chuck roast
- 1 pack or 1 ounce of a dry onion soup recipe and sauce mixture or ½ recipe of Lipton onion soup
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 16 ounces of carrot, you can peel and cut it into three to four-inch cuts
- 5 to 6 medium size russets, peel it
- 2 stalks of celery, cut it into 2 inch
- 2 tablespoons of all purposed flour
- 2 cups of beef broth
- splash of wine
There will be some optional ingredients such as celery and a splash of wine in this Lipton soup roast recipe. It means that you can skip it if you have no ingredients.
Cooking Instructions of Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe
After you prepare those ingredients, it is time to cook this delicious recipe. You should follow the instructions below.