Best Tips For Making Soup Recipes
1. Season to taste. Raw vegetable ingredients need seasoning, and vegetable broths vary in salt level. If your soup is bland, dont hesitate to add generous pinches of salt and lots of fresh black pepper. Taste as you go!
2. Drizzle with olive oil. I always finish soups with a generous drizzle of olive oil. It adds richness and makes the flavors sing.
3. Save some for lunch! Soup often tastes better on the second day, so be sure to make enough to have leftovers. Most soup recipes also freeze well for up to a few months. Check out this post for my best freezing tips!
4. Spice to your level. Customizing your soup is the fun, creative part of cooking soup recipes. If youre making a recipe that calls for lots of spice but you prefer milder flavors, start with less. If you like things spicy, add more! Taste as you cook, and adjust the flavors to make something you really love.
The Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup
My first Wisconsin winter was so cold, all I wanted to eat was homemade chicken noodle soup. Of all the chicken noodle soup recipes out there, this type of soup is my favorite and is in heavy rotation from November to April. It has many incredibly devoted fans.Gina Nistico, Denver, Colorado
Psst! Discover our 2021 Recipe of the Yearyoure going to love it.
Smoky Spicy Soups And Chilis
Bring on the heat! Seasonings like smoked paprika, canned chipotles in adobo sauce, and fresh and dried chiles fill these hearty soup recipes with bold flavor.
Easy Vegetarian ChiliDo we count chili as a soup? Im on the fence, but I still had to include this recipe here. Its super quick and easy to make, and on a cold night, its smoky/spicy flavor will warm you up in no time.
Yellow Split Pea SoupYellow split peas mingle with the fresh corn kernels in this vegan riff on corn chowder, making it extra-hearty and super fun to eat. Its delicious on its own, but I like it even more with crispy, smoky coconut bacon on top!
Tomatillo Zucchini White Bean Chili, page 99 of Love & Lemons Every DayThis zesty green chili is nice and hearty, but its so flavorful that I always go back for a second bowl. Serve it with homemade cornbread for a pitch-perfect weeknight dinner.
Pumpkin Tortilla SoupI love classic butternut squash soup as much as the next person, but when it comes to soup, winter squash can do so much more! Try simmering it in a smoky roasted tomato broth to make this delicious vegan spin on tortilla soup.
This black bean soup is creamy, spicy, and satisfying, but best of all, its really darn easy to make. It has a permanent spot in my regular recipe rotation, and I think it will in yours, too!
Don’t Miss: Roasted Corn And Poblano Soup
Tomato Soup Times Three
- Im excited to make this Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup With Goat Cheese and invite all my friends over to enjoy it with me.
- This Tomato Bisque with Fried Cheese is the perfect update to the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup just in time for cold weather!
- This Creamy Tomato Soup is loaded with lean ground chicken, Italian seasonings and ultra-healthy cruciferous vegetables, and is magically low carb, fiber-rich, gluten free and ready in 30 minutes!
Creamy Soup = Pure Comfort
- Meet our all-time favorite corn recipe: rich and creamy Corn and Leek Bisque.
- When the sniffles have made their way into our home, we cook up huge batches of this Roasted Garlic Soup with Kale, Parmesan and Crispy Pancetta. Does the garlic actually heal? Who knows! What we know for sure is that this soup soothes the souland that can only be a good thing.
- If youre into foraging for your own dinnersor if you happen upon some wild mushrooms at the farmers marketmay we recommend this Wild Mushroom Chowder with Bacon and Leeks?
Read Also: Creamy Corn And Poblano Soup
Want A Healthy Soup For Dinner Thats Also Delicious Weve Got You Covered
- If you love lentils, you’re going to love this Coconut Curry Lentil Soup! Creamy, rich broth loaded with veggies makes for a perfect 30-minute one-pot, vegan fall dinner.
- Warming fresh ginger, jalapeño, cumin and plenty of garlic make a spicy base for this hearty, sweet-savory African Peanut Soup recipe.
- This Coconut Curry Soup with Chicken, Chickpeas and Hearty Greens proves that delicious comfort food doesnt have to be bad for you.
- Our healthy, easy, slightly creamy Vegetable Curry Soup will bring some serious excitement to your weeknight meals this fall.
Tis The Season For All The Squash Soup
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup made with sweet apples, garlic, and thyme is the perfect cozy, light dinner.
- Im counting down the days until this Curried Pumpkin Coconut Soup makes it onto my table for the first time this season.
- Soothing and sweetly fragrant with warm spices, this Slow-Cooker Apple and Butternut Squash Soup is sure to become a harvest season tradition.
You May Like: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
Favorite Autumn Soup Recipes
In Chicago, soup season lasts from September towell, way later than it should. I make soup recipes the whole way through, but I especially crave them now, in the heart of autumn. These 4 easy soup recipes are my favorites at this time of year. Theyre cozy, comforting, and filled with aromatic flavor from herbs like rosemary, sage, and thyme.
If you see a bunch of beautiful fall leeks at the farmers market or store, snatch them up to make this recipe. Its a lighter version of the classic soup, made with blended white beans instead of heavy cream.
When You Want An Indulgent Soup For Dinner
- Topped with oozy, melty Gruyére cheese, French Onion Soup has been and will always be one of my favorite dishes when it comes to decadent comfort food.
- Football season here we come. Im getting all the feels with this Beer Cheese Soup.
- Loaded with sausage and beef, plenty of herbs and garlic, and topped with a lava flow of mozzarella cheese, Lasagna Soup is easier to make than its oven-baked counterpart, and just as delicious.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast
Sweet Potato Miso Soup
Savory sweet potato soup gets an Asian flare from white miso paste, sesame seeds, and chili flakes. Get the recipe.
The star ingredient in this recipe is hominy , which you can find at any grocery store. Here, it’s simmered in chicken stock with diced green chiles and poblano pepper and garnished with anything from avocado and tortilla chips to cotija cheese and cilantro. Get the recipe.
*** Christmas Recipes ***
Italian sausage and a heap of Parmesan cheese lend signature flair to the easy Thanksgiving dressing…
A classic dry martini cocktail made with gin and vermouth and stirred with ice.
It’s all about the layers and ruffles in this dramatic seasonal pie.
As with hot chocolate, use any milky liquid you prefer, whether it’s from a cow, nuts ,…
This is the dramatic seafood paella that looks stunning, with crustaceans and shellfish. You can vary…
Alton Brown’s turkey brine recipe from Good Eats will give you a flavorful Thanksgiving turkey with juicy…
Bone-in turkey breasts are easy to find, and as impressive as a whole bird when you roast them in butter…
Make and share this Basic All Purpose Brine for Meats, Chicken, and Turkey recipe from Food.com.
Cutting leeks into large pieces gives them a presence equal…
Poach quince in rosé with a dash of cocktail bitters and a few warm spices, then assemble into a tart…
It takes a day or two for the peel to dry, so plan ahead perfect Candied Orange Peels
The killer combination of coconut, almonds, and milk chocolate makes for a delectable candy bar. One…
A whole roasted duck doesn’t have to be fussy. With just a few hours’ roasting and hardly any work at…
This recipe is from Eben Freeman, bartender of Tailor Restaurant in New York City. The drink tastes best…
When Beatrice Ojakangas published *The Great Scandinavian Baking Book* in 1988, she won a lot of fans-including…
Also Check: Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Gluten Free
Chicken And Rice Soup
Never ever settle for the canned stuff again. The trick to this quick and simple homemade soup: Start with a rotisserie chicken, then make a big batch. Get the recipe.
This recipe is packed with rice noodles and julienned veggies in a tangy, creamy coconut milk broth. You can also add your favorite protein like shrimp, scallops, chicken, or tofu. Get the recipe.
A Few Of Our Favorite Soup Pots
- If you’re looking to splurge, a good dutch oven is one of our all time favorites.
- For something a little less expensive we love a good cast iron pot. Plus, it’s great to take camping!
- If you’e looking for a pop of color, but don’t want to break the bank. We love these fun enamel pots!
- Are you a minimalist? We love the sleek design of this pot that is meant to be left out.
- When it comes to stainless steel All-Clad takes the cake.
- If you’re looking to upgrade to non-stick, this is our favorite set and it includes a nice soup pot!
- Don’t have an instant pot? Can we persuade you?
- Every home needs a good slow-cooker. Trust us.
Recommended Reading: Soup Delivered To Your Home
Meatball Soup Yup Its A Thing
- This Italian meatball soup is everything we loveits as easy as soup + meatballs! A tomato-y broth, noodles and some mini Italian pork meatballs make for a hearty supper everyones gonna love.
- Healthy Italian Wedding Soup that is so healthy you wont feel guilty going back for seconds or thirds.
- This simple, delicious, Whole30-approved chicken meatball soup recipe is soothing, cozy and easy to make.
The Best Ever Tomato Soup
Creamy, rich and bursting with brightness, this soup is the ultimate sidekick to a grilled cheese sandwich.
Josh Rink, Milwaukee, WI
Prep: 20 minutes, Cook: 30 minutes Makes: 16 servings
3 Tbsp. olive oil
¼ to ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream, optional
Fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, optional
1. In a 6-qt. stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil, butter and pepper flakes over medium heat until butter is melted. Add the carrots and onion cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and dried basil cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat simmer, uncovered, to let flavors blend, 20-25 minutes.
2. Remove pan from heat. Using a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. If desired, slowly stir in the heavy cream, stirring continuously to incorporate return pan to stove to heat through. If desired, top with fresh basil.
1 cup: 104 cal., 5g fat , 6mg chol., 572mg sod., 15g carb. , 3g pro. Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Also Check: Red Potatoes And Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Easy Blended Soup Recipes
Traditional puréed soup recipes commonly call for butter, heavy cream, or whole milk, but you wont find any of those ingredients in the creamy soups below. Instead, blended vegetables give each one its smooth, velvety texture. Yum!
Carrot Coconut SoupI think of this recipe as a gazpacho because it comes together easily in the blender. Chill it if you want to eat it gazpacho-style, but if youre craving something warm, its equally good after a few minutes on the stove.
Curried Parsnip & White Bean Soup, page 223 of The Love & Lemons CookbookIf I had my way, wed all cook with parsnips more often! They give this soup an amazing velvety texture, and their sweet, nutty flavor tastes wonderful with the warm curry spices.
New England Chicken Stew Mix
Sure, we love our homemade soups and stews. But sometimes even the most devoted home cook needs to speed things up in the kitchen. With this mix, you get everything you love about a chicken potpie with zero fuss. All you need are a few simple ingredients: cooked chicken , chicken broth and some basic pantry staples. Voila! Pair this soup with a puff pastry round, biscuit or a slice of that French Loaf .
Read Also: Red Potatoes And Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Hearty Navy Bean Soup
Use economical dried beans and a ham hock to create this comfort-food classic. Bean soup is a family favorite that I make often.
Mildred Lewis, Temple, TX
Prep: 30 min. + soaking Cook: 1 ¾ hours Makes: 10 servings
3 cups dried navy beans
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large onion, chopped
1 meaty ham hock or 1 cup diced cooked ham
2 cups chicken broth
Taste Of Home Soups Stews And More
About the Author
I’m a big fan of soup at any meal, and I find having everything to make 2 or 3 soups on hand at all times really reduces dinner anxiety. So far I’ve made 4 of the recipes at random and all were good. Every recipe has a picture. The recipes call for normal ingredients you can find at your local store. A really nice book to have around to help you make affordable, full and yummy lunches or dinners that also hold up well as leftovers. I’m looking forward to making the Red Flannel Soup that contains beets and corned beef! Really unique. This book contains a variety of recipes from: seafood soups, meat soups, vegetarian options and even a few Indian and Asian soups. So far I’ve made the chickpea curry style dish, the tortellini and spinach, the split pea, and the shrimp orzo. I would make all of them again. Next up I’m making the chicken enchilada soup. A few here and there don’t sound so great, , but hey. My goal is to spend the next several months cooking through this book to find at least 3-4 more family staples that we can’t live without. It’s been making my weeknight cooking a lot less dreadful. –KT and RL
The title was exactly what I was looking for to go with a Christmas gift. Don’t know if the recipient is enjoying it or not. Time will tell –Jean
I love love love, this book. It offer the best recipes with brilliant color photos for every recipe. –Cynthia
You May Like: Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup With Hash Browns
Carrot Silicone Herb Infuser
Youll get plenty of use out of this gadget when you put your Soups, Stews & More cookbook to work. Instead of bundling herbs and spices in cheesecloth with kitchen string, just load up the carrot. The Test Kitchen team appreciated that the infuser lid had a secure fit, which prevented the contents from floating out. We like that the carrot stem attaches to the edge of the stock pot, but keep in mind that youll have to unhook it in order to completely cover the pot with a lid. Good news: It floats, so it was easy fish out with small tongs.
Our Most Popular Soup Recipeshands Down
- This ultra-creamy Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Kale is a perfect for cold nights and its ready in just 30-minutes.
- When the days grow short and the air is crisp, we are inspired to step into the kitchen and get cooking! Those long, chilly nights are vastly improved by easy recipes like this creamy, simple, satisfying Hungarian Mushroom Soup.
- We almost always have everything on hand for this Tortilla Soup. Its a serious win every time.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Bake
Red/scarlet 35 Inch Wood Party Picks
Were a nation of snackers. We eat snacks between meals and sometimes even replace meals with snacks. So as you prepare for gatheringseven if theyre still at home with smaller groups of family and friendsmake that cheese board, breakfast or dessert board look as cute as possible with these adorable picks. Just be sure you dont put them in the oven theyre not oven safe. Cheers!
Brothy Veggie Soup Recipes
When Im craving a light, fresh meal in the dead of winter, I make these brothy soup recipes. On a cold night, theyre the perfect way to eat your veggies, as theyre warming and comforting, but still packed with produce.
Cabbage SoupIf youve had a head of cabbage hanging out in your fridge for a few days , this easy soup is the perfect way to use it up. Its bright and flavorful, and it uses an entire head of cabbage in one go.
- Cheddar cheese,optional
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Careers Fayetteville Nc