Tomato Basil Soup Recipe Ingredients
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this roasted tomato basil soup:
- Roma tomatoes Just like in my homemade salsa recipe, the tomato variety you use here matters. If you cant find roma tomatoes, substitute another variety of small plum tomatoes. Larger heirloom or salad tomatoes are too watery for this recipe.
- Onion and garlic They add savory depth of flavor.
- Carrot It makes this soup nice and creamy without any nuts or heavy cream.
- Balsamic vinegar For tang!
- Thyme leaves For fresh, aromatic flavor.
- Fresh basil You cant make tomato basil soup without it! I blend in the basil right at the end so that it keeps its fresh flavor and flecks the soup with green.
- Extra-virgin olive oil It gives the soup body and richness.
- Vegetable broth It creates the soups flavorful base.
- And sea salt and freshly ground black pepper To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque
Soup Recipes » Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque
Creamy tomato basil bisque is a smooth, rich soup loaded with fresh tomatoes and just the right amount of basil and parmesan. Its a taste of summer that is perfect for a rainy afternoon. In this post I cover different kinds of tomatoes to use, whether you should take the time to seed or peel them, and how I save the leftovers so that I can enjoy the taste of fresh summer tomatoes all year long. Read on for my tips and tricks, or scroll down to the recipe and start cooking!
When it comes to making homemade soup, creamy tomato basil bisque is by far one of my favorites. Its a perfect way to use end of summer tomatoes, and can be canned or frozen for longer storage.
In this soup, the fresh tomato flavor is balanced with basil, parmesan, balsamic, and cream. The sweet acidity of the tomatoes, the tang of the vinegar, and nutty parmesan cheese combine as a match made for my taste buds dreams.
Serve it cold on a hot summer day or serve it hot on a cold, wet day. I like mine best when paired with a grilled cheese sandwich for a delicious weekend lunch.
Tomato And Basil Soup
Slurp your way into winter with this easy tomato and basil .
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g sebago , peeled, chopped
- 600g tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Select all ingredients
- Add basil. Blend, in batches, until smooth. Serve.
Did you make this?
Recommended Reading: Tomato Soup Sloppy Joes
Tomato Basil Bisque Ingredients
- fresh basil is optional but adds a ton of flavor!
We got most of the ingredients we used in this recipe from Thrive Market!
I rarely ever go to a grocery store anymore because you cant beat the convenience of having your groceries delivered to your door.
We also love to save money while eating healthy but dont have time to watch sales/go to multiple stores. Thrive Market has everything and its always a great price.
Whether youve made a New Years Resolution to eat a little healthier, or youre looking to save some money on your groceries we think youll love Thrive Market!
If you want to join Thrive Market theyre giving you 40% off and a free gift when you join today! You can get a 1 year membership for $59.99 or monthly for $9.95
Do you make tomato soup with fresh tomatoes? Yes, you can make tomato soup with fresh tomatoes. This recipe uses canned tomatoes but you can easily make this with fresh tomatoes!
What type of tomatoes are best for soup? Fresh tomatoes are the best tomatoes for soup but only when they are in season! Thats why we used canned tomatoes in this recipe. Canned crushed tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes, or canned whole tomatoes all work well for soup. Try to look for canned tomatoes that dont have salt or sugar added to them.
How To Freeze Tomato Basil Soup:
Don’t Miss: Campbells Sloppy Joes
How To Make The Best Tomato Basil Soup
Canned Vs Fresh Tomatoes:
Canned tomatoes are a great option for making a quick and easy tomato soup. The tomatoes are preserved at fresh peakness so that you can enjoy them all year long. We prefer using a fire-roasted tomato for extra flavor.
Fresh tomatoes always have a great flavor, but do require more work. To fire roast tomatoes, you can either use an outdoor grill or the oven. Whichever you decide, preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. To prep your tomatoes, you will need to wash, cut off the stem end, and then cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place them cut side down into a grill basket for outdoor grill or on a baking sheet for the oven and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in your preheat grill/oven until charred. The grill will go fast, so keep a close eye on it. In the oven, it should take approximately 30-40 minutes to char. Allow them to cool before continuing with the recipe.
Don’t Miss: Roast Recipe With Onion Soup Mix
Is Cream Of Tomato Soup The Same As Tomato Soup
Then what about cream of tomato soup? ? Cream of soup can be made by pureeing the tomato or other vegetables in a similar manner to a traditional soup, only added to a milk cream mixture. The reason for this is the cooking temperature is significantly lower than normal tomato soup making Cream of Tomato Soup much less heated.
Learn The Best Ingredients To Add If You Want Easy Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
In the pantheon of comfort food, tomato basil soup has to be somewhere near the top. Something about the combination of rich, creamy tomatoes and savory seasonings just hits the spot. It’s perfectly simple, wonderfully tasty, and versatile enough to use a side or as a light meal all on its own.Tomato basil soup can be harder to make from scratch than other comfort foods, though, and so sometimes it’s easiest to turn to canned tomato soup. Of course, that leads to a problem: canned soup just doesn’t have the full, wholesome flavor of homemade tomato basil soup. Is there a way to enjoy that flavor easily?Thankfully, the answer is yes! It’s actually very easy to doctor up canned tomato soup and turn it into something delicious. And the best part is, you probably won’t even have to go shopping.
You May Like: Round Spoon Flatware Set
Ingredients Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
The best part about this tomato basil soup recipe is how simple the ingredients are. Were using all fresh ingredients that still create an incredible flavor and texture. This tomato basil soup is wonderfully creamy without any cream or dairy ! Heres what youll need:
- Fresh tomatoes: tomatoes helps them to sweetened and slightly caramelize leading to a sweet, rich tomato soup flavor.
- Garlic: lets not forget about how delicious roasted garlic is. The sweet, lick-your-finger good flavor is essential to this recipe and its easy to roast right alongside the tomatoes.
- Fresh basil: basil has a slightly sweet flavor and should be added to the recipe before serving, as too much heat can remove the flavor of it and sometimes turn it slightly bitter. This herb also helps to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Onions: this was one thing I did that was a little different was the addition of caramelized onions! The sweet onions are caramelized, then blended into the soup. AMAZING!
- Additional soup add-ins: I like to use vegetarian broth, but feel free to use water if youd like. Youll also want some dried oregano and plenty of salt & pepper.
- Optional add-ins: Ive included optional ingredients that you can add to the soup to make it your own in the ingredients below! If youd like, this is your chance to get a little creative.
Recipe Tips And Tricks
- How to blend hot soup: The easiest way to blend hot soup is with an immersion blender. You just stick it directly into the pot and blend. You can also scoop the soup into a stand-up blender with a ladle or measuring cup. Be careful when you blend as the heat will build up pressure in the blender. Depending on your blender, you may have to ensure it has some way to vent, but cover the hole with a paper or kitchen towel to prevent a splattering mess.
- How to store: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- How to freeze tomato soup: I highly recommend batching and freezing this recipe. I also suggest portioning out the soup into individual portions before freezing. I love using souper cubes to freeze the soup into portions and then transferring the frozen cups into a freezer bag or airtight container.
- How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes until warmed through. You may have to add a splash of water to thin out the soup if it has thickened too much when storing. If reheating from frozen, allow the soup to thaw first.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
How Do You Make Tomato Basil Soup Less Acidic
Choosing fresh tomatoes over canned tomatoes will significantly reduce the acidity of this soup. Thats because it is necessary for canning, so people choose tomatoes with high acid levels. This is especially true for any tomatoes canned at home.
You can also add a little baking soda to the simmering tomatoes to neutralize some of the acidity. An eighth of a teaspoon of baking soda should round off the aggressive bite without over-sweetening the soup as sugar will do.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Made from scratch, it calls for using fresh whole food plant-based ingredients and is 100% dairy-free!
- If you dont have all the fresh ingredients, the recipe is easily customizable using canned or dried ingredients.
- Its great alone but can be made into a hearty meal with a sandwich, salad, or pasta on the side.
- Leftovers taste even better, making this soup great for to-go lunches or to freeze for later!
If youre a soup lover like myself, a few other delicious and vegan soup recipes worth checking out are this Vegan Minestrone Soup, Creamy Broccoli + Red Lentil Soup, simple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup or Very Good Split Pea Soup.
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Carbs
How To Store Leftover Tomato Basil Soup
Since this recipe contains cream, it wont last as long as some other soups in the fridge. Try to finish any leftovers within two days. To minimize spoilage, you need to cool the tomato soup as quickly as possible.
What Is The Difference Between Cream Of Tomato Soup And Tomato Bisque
There are many different names of Tomato Soup Tomato Bisque, Tomato Cream Soup, Cream of Tomato Soup etc., so how do you know if youre eating tomato soup or tomato bisque?
You know you are eating a bisque if the broth is from a shellfish, like lobster or crab. Bisque is a French term used for creamy soups based on coulis broth. Today, however, the modern use of bisque is any soup thats been pureed or is extra creamy. So, this creamy Tomato Basil Soup can easily be called a soup or a bisque because its made of pureed vegetables and cream.
So, whether youve been looking for the best Tomato Soup recipe OR the best Tomato Bisque recipe, your search stops here with this Tomato Basil Soup, Bon appetit!
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Potatoes
What If I Follow A Vegan Diet Can I Still Make This Tomato Basil Soup
If youre living a dairy-free or vegan lifestyle, you can still make this soup! There are tons of recipes on the internet for vegan pesto , and most health food stores even sell vegan pesto! Just make that simple swap, and youre good to go.
And thats it!
Just ten simple ingredients in my from-scratch tomato basil soup recipe. So many of you have already made and loved this recipe and if you decide to give it a go too, Id love to hear your thoughts!
Original recipe posted Aug. 2015. Updated Oct. 2018 with new pictures and easier directions.
Why You’ll Love Tomato Basil Soup
- Tomatoes are basically Italian medicine. Okay, medicine might be a stretch. But whoever said an apple a day keeps the doctor away just hadnt discovered the glory of Roma tomatoes yet. They have antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that support heart health and can reduce your risk for cancer!
- Its fresh andcheap. I love tomato basil soup because it saves me money , andits better for me than buying the packaged, processed version in stores that usually contain refined sugar. Its a win-win.
- Meal prep for a fast frozen dinner. Prepping and freezing meals is one of the best things you can do for your time, health, and sanity. This tomato basil soup freezes and reheats well, so make a bigger batch and can enjoy it on a rainy day when you don’t have time to go grocery shopping.
Also Check: Publix Split Pea Soup Recipe
Do You Need To Peel Tomatoes For Soup
This homemade tomato basil soup recipe calls for using peeled tomatoes, but if you dont mind passing the soup through a strainer before serving, go ahead and leave the peels on.
Tomato peels are full of flavonols which some people may find to have an unpleasant bitter taste, but researchers have linked them to several health benefits.
At the end of the day, it is up to you whether you peel the tomatoes for this recipe.
Top Results For Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
Fresh Tomato Soup With Basil – Live Eat Learn
Copy the link and share
Copy the link and share
Best Tomato Basil Soup Recipe – How To Make … – Delish
Copy the link and share
Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup | Ambitious Kitchen
Copy the link and share
Homemade Tomato Basil Soup – The Travel Palate
Copy the link and share
Tomato Basil Soup Recipe By Tasty
Copy the link and share
Read Also: Campbell’s One Pan Recipes
How To Customize This Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
While this fresh tomato basil soup recipe is vegan and dairy free, there are tons of delicious ways to make it even creamier and richer.
- Add some whole milk or heavy cream for a super creamy texture.
- Keep this tomato basil soup vegan & dairy free by adding creamy regular or light coconut milk.
- Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for tangy, cheesy goodness.
- Add a tablespoon or two of butter or vegan butter for even richer flavor.
What Is Creme Fraiche
A cultured dairy product popular in Europe, creme fraiche is often used to thicken sauces, soups, and stews. It can also be spooned over fresh fruit for a simple dessert. Creme fraiche is higher in fat than sour cream so it isnt prone to curdling when added to hot dishes. If using sour cream or yogurt in place of creme fraiche, simply remove the soup from the heat before stirring it in.
Don’t Miss: Lentil Soup Nutritional Benefits
How To Make Stovetop Tomato Basil Soup
Rather than just tossing all of the ingredients into the pot, our tomato basil soup recipe calls for a simple extra step that helps build flavor with very little effort.