How To Make A Gluten And Dairy Free Tuna Casserole
This tuna casserole is gluten-free and dairy free because the cream of mushroom soup from Vivians Live Again that I used is dairy free, and I used gluten-free noodles, and vegan butter.
You can also use the dairy free version of my gluten free cream of mushroom soup, along with vegan butter or even olive oil to butter the breadcrumbs.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
How To Make Tuna Noodle Casserole With Mushroom Soup
- The first thing you will want to do when making a tuna noodle casserole recipe starts with boiling a large pot of water. Cooking the noodles is the longest part of this recipe.
- Purchase the best tuna that you can work into your budget. Any tuna will work but it is best if backed in water. I always get the StarKist Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water. It has a very light flavor and is light color in your casserole.
- After you open the tuna can squeeze all the water off.
- Next mix all of the Cream of Mushroom Soup with the and the tuna in a medium bowl with the milk to make the sauce creamy.
- We like to put crushed saltines on the top, but you can use bread crumbs or even crushed potato chips.
- Make sure that you top the casserole with topping. The cracker topping is a family favorite that is fought over each time I make this dish.
- When you are dead tired from a busy day at work or a busy day with the kids, Tuna Noodle Casserole is so easy to through together, pop in a casserole dish, top with crushed cracker and in the oven for 30 minutes.
How To Make Tuna Noodle Casserole From Scratch
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Hamburger Casserole
How To Freeze Tuna Casserole
It is super easy to freeze a casserole, before or after its cooked! It is important to fully thaw a frozen casserole before putting it in the oven to avoid overcooking some areas and undercooking others, especially if the casserole was uncooked to begin with. Just leave it overnight in the fridge to allow it to thaw safely and then bake until it reaches 165°F.
If the casserole is fully baked, let it cool completely before wrapping it and freezing it. Another great tip is to line assemble the casserole in a foil lined pan and freeze after its been fully wrapped and sealed. Save that casserole pan for another use! Properly wrapped and sealed casseroles can be frozen for up to 6 months without damaging flavor or texture.
- cupfrozen peasdefrosted
- 1cantuna5-6 ounces, drained
- 10 ½ouncescondensed mushroom soup
- ½cuppanko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
- Boil noodles al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Cook onion and celery in butter until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine noodles, onion mixture, peas, soup, milk, cheese, tuna and parsley. Mix well.
- Spread into a 2qt casserole dish and top with crumb topping.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until bubbly.
Tips For The Best Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
- Cook the pasta just until al dente . The noodles will continue cooking in the oven, so you dont want them to be mushy or overdone.
- Use solid white albacore tuna in water .
- Drain the tuna fish really well before adding it to the casserole.
- Theres no need to thaw the peas before adding them to the dish. Just stir them in while theyre still frozen this will help them stay nice and green in the casserole .
- Taste the filling before baking, and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, if necessary.
Also Check: Send Chicken Soup
To Make Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole You Will Need:
- salt and pepper, to taste
Is cream of mushroom soup gluten free?
The cream of mushroom soup youd usually buy from the store is NOT gluten free, however there are other great gluten free cream of mushroom soups on the market!
I love Vivians Live Agains cream of mushroom soup because not only is it gluten-free, it is dairy free and vegan.
I love that it comes in a powdered form that you simply mix with water and then bring to a simmer on either the stovetop or in your microwave. Each package makes equivalent to 5 cans of cream of mushroom soup, but it takes up less space in your pantry and it allergy friendly.
It also comes in smaller travel-sized single serve packages, equivalent to one can of cream of mushroom soup.
I also like making my own gluten free cream of mushroom soup. It only takes 5 minutes if you have the ingredients on hand.
Which tuna is gluten free?
Most canned tuna is gluten free. I always check the ingredients, but plain canned tuna should be gluten-free.
With flavored canned tuna, or premixed tuna salad you will have more issues.
Is there a gluten free egg noodle?
Yes, there is! Jovial makes gluten free egg noodles. They come in a tagliatelle shape, so youll need to break them up if you want them to be like tradition egg noodle.
You can also break gluten free fettuccine into bite-sized pieces for a similar effect.
Are breadcrumbs gluten free?
How To Make Tuna Casserole:
First, preheat your oven.
Next, combine the ingredients for the topping and set aside.
Boil the noodles al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water.
In a large bowl, combine noodles, onions celery, peas, soup, milk, cheese, and tuna. Mix well.
Last, spread into a casserole dish and top with the topping mixture.
Bake and serve!
Recommended Reading: Campbells Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Also Check: Oven Pot Roast Recipe Onion Soup Mix
What To Serve With Easy Tuna Casserole
Just keep it simple and add a side salad with this casserole dish. It is so easy on busy days to put together a salad to serve.
We are all about keeping it simple around here.
Family Favorite Tuna Casserole
My father and I have been reminiscing lately about my mom’s tuna casserole, the one she used to make in the 60s, with cream of mushroom soup, broccoli, lots of cheese, and a crushed potato chip topping.
Mom has only the vaguest recollection of a tuna casserole In fact, today, she said she had no memory of it at all.
Did she really make it? Or are dad and I remembering something instead from a school cafeteria?
In any case, I attempted to reproduce it for today’s lunch, in honor of the weekend and long forgotten family traditions.
Don’t Miss: Pork Chops Cooked In Lipton Onion Soup Mix
How To Freeze Tuna Casserole:
I like to make 2 of these at a time because it isnt any more work. All of the ingredients are already out and it is so easy.
So I do one for dinner that day and then put one in the freezer for a later time. This is a huge help and a big time saver.
Just make the casserole as directed but I like to use a tin toil pan for the one going in the freezer.
However, instead of baking, cover with foil and allow to cool.
Once cooled, freeze.
To bake, remove from freezer the day before you want to eat it and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour covered, and 15 minutes uncovered. You might have to adjust the time based on your oven.
Tuna Noodle Casserole Ingredients
- Peas We use frozen, but canned works too.
- Tuna Canned/drained.
- Condensed soup We like cream of mushroom.
- Milk Preferably whole milk, but low fat or fat free will also work.
- Cheddar cheese Shredded. Mexican or fiesta blend is good too.
- Bread crumbs Panko. Traditional or Italian seasoned are also yummy.
- Butter Salted/melted.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
You May Like: Knorr Vegetable Mix Gluten-free
The Best Tuna Noodle Casserole With Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipes On Yummly
Tuna, egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup and peas, topped with crunchy fried onion topping. Stir in drained noodles, cream of mushroom soup, tuna, peas, milk and half the shredded cheese. 2 cans campbell’s® condensed cream of mushroom soup · 1 cup milk · 2 cups frozen peas · 2 cans tuna, drained In a large bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, peas, cheese, tuna, salt, and pepper. Macaroni, tuna, cream of mushroom soup, grated sharp cheddar cheese. The best tuna noodle casserole with cream of mushroom soup recipes on yummly | delicious homemade tuna noodle casserole, tuna noodle casserole, tuna noodle . The best easy tuna casserole cream of mushroom soup recipes on yummly | easy tuna. Made with canned tuna and egg noodles, this tuna casserole is always a family favorite. This comforting and reliable classic features. Tuna casserole using cream of mushroom soup. Ingredients · 2 cans cream of mushroom soup · 1 cup milk · 2 cups frozen peas · 2 cans chicken of the sea® chunk light tuna in water, drained or .
Try This Easy Tuna Casserole Recipe This Week
This casserole is the best comfort food and a family favorite. The al dente egg noodles combine with cream of mushroom or you can use cream of celery for a creamy tuna fish recipe.
The bread crumb topping with melted butter give this casserole the perfect amount of crunch while being so tasty. You could even try using fried onions. This recipe is just so easy and versatile to make.
If you are trying to stretch your grocery budget, this tuna casserole is very inexpensive and frugal to make. Plus, it is so tasty and easy to make. It is a winner all around.
Read Also: Calphalon 4.5 Qt Soup Pot
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Potato
What You Need To Make Tuna Casserole
Egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, solid white albacore tuna, yellow onion, butter, peas, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and potato chips.
HOW TO MAKE TUNA CASSEROLE
Place casserole on middle rack of oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes uncovered, until casserole is completely heated through. Enjoy!
There are many variations for tuna casserole you can easily adapt this recipe to your liking:
- I love tuna casserole served with a wedge of lemon to squeeze on top
- omit onion and peas if you do not care for them
- add some sauteed celery if you like
- instead of potato chips, top with bread crumbs, French fried onions or top with extra cheddar cheese if you want it super cheesy
- use cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom or mix in a can of cream of celery with cream of mushroom or cream of chicken
- jazz it up with spices
- not a fan of tunasubstitute with chicken
Thanks so much for stopping by!Cheers!
Tips Tricks & Variations
Try topping the casserole with crunchy onions like we do in our green bean casserole recipe.
Add some heat by stirring in a tablespoon or two of sriracha or Franks Red Hot sauce.
Make your future self happy by whipping up a double batch and freezing one pan for later.
Try it with mixed vegetables instead of peas, or canned chicken instead of tuna!
I love this served warm out of the oven, but my husband likes it cold the next day!
Read Also: Beefy Onion Soup Mix Meatloaf
Don’t Miss: Chicken And Rice Recipe Campbells
How To Make Tuna Casserole Without Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This straightforward traditional tuna noodle casserole from scratch has ZERO processed elements! Its made more healthy through the use of no canned soups, entire wheat pasta, and much less fats than different quaint tuna casseroles. Plus, you can also make it ahead- its freezable!
Mates, lets be sincere. Theres NOTHING like a casserole on chilly evenings.
Its consolation meals at its most interesting. On a chilly, dreary winter day, your temper will be immediately elevated by the magical therapeutic properties of a casserole.
And this tuna casserole is the last word wealthy, creamy concoction that you simply want, with out being heavy or unhealthy. Its such a good way to get pleasure from guilt-free creamy consolation meals!
Bonus: your youngsters will LOVE it.
Why This Recipe Works
Tuna casserole has been around for a long time. Its one of those dishes people keep coming back to time and time again. Also known as tuna noodle casserole, this dish typically uses canned tuna, frozen or canned peas, noodles, cream of mushroom soup, and some type of crunchy topping for texture.
This hot dish is the perfect base for many add-ins like carrots, onion, or corn. Its kind of like the savory version of tuna pasta salad.
You May Like: Roast Cream Of Mushroom Onion Soup Mix
Can I Freeze Tuna Casserole Or Make It Forward
If you wish to make the casserole a couple of days prematurely, you possibly can retailer it unbaked in your fridge for as much as 5 days. Simply assemble it, and canopy it tightly with foil. Youll must bake it for a bit longer since it is going to be chilly to start out, so I like to recommend 20 minutes lined, and 15-20 minutes uncovered,.
You can even assemble and freeze this traditional tuna casserole for as much as 3 months. Once more, cowl it tightly. I do advocate defrosting it fully in your fridge earlier than baking it, for 24-48 hours. Then, bake 20 minutes lined, 15-20 minutes uncovered.
This can be a nice alternative to make two and freeze one for later!
How To Make Tuna Mushroom Casserole
Start by cooking the egg noodles according to the package directions. I find that egg noodles are light and perfect for casserole making. After the noodles are cooked combine the noodles, two 6 ounce cans of tuna and the mushrooms in a large bowl.
Combine the milk and the cream of mushroom soup in a bowl. Whisk or stir well to combine. You will want to stir these together completely before combining them with the noodles.
After you have the creamy mushroom sauce combined, you will want to mix it with the noodles.
When all is mixed well together, pour into the baking dish. Toss crackers with melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole. Then pop the casserole into the oven, and bake.
Cook until it has heated through. Then remove it from the oven and enjoy your tuna mushroom casserole.
You May Like: Is Knorr Spinach Dip Gluten Free
Can Tuna Casserole Be Made Ahead And Frozen
- You betcha! You can do both! Make this ahead of time and refrigerate to use within the next couple days OR freeze it for later use.
- If you are going to refrigerate and use soon, You will want to skip placing the toppings on until you are ready to bake. Once you are ready to bake, just add on about 7-10 more minutes to your cooking time.
- If you would like to freeze this casserole before cooking for a later date, assemble casserole. I would skip the toppings until you are ready to cook it. Wrap it in plastic wrap and then foil. This will make sure it is sealed well. Freeze for up to 3 month. When you are ready to cook, let your casserole defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Top with topping and sdd 7-10 extra minutes to your cooking time
What Is Tuna Noodle Casserole
This classic casserole dish starts with a creamy mushroom sauce combined with delicate egg noodles, peas, and tuna, then topped with a buttery breadcrumb, cracker, or potato chip topping. The classic version of tuna noodle casserole uses a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup for the sauce, but in the recipe below Ive whipped up a homemade creamy mushroom sauce instead. It does take a little more time, but its totally worth it, IMHO!
Don’t Miss: Campbells Chicken And Wild Rice Casserole