Additional Copycat Onion Soup Mix Tips
- If you use this recipe for instant soup, usehomemade stock or beef broth instead of beef bouillon and avoid the too-much-salt situation entirely.
- To make this dry mix vegetarian or vegan, substitute vegetable bouillon instead of beef.
- One ¼ cup serving is the equivalent to one envelope of dry onion soup mix.
- This recipe is a bigger batch. Not massive, but youll get at least 3 servings out of it.
- I like to make a big batch and store it in the spice cabinet in a re-purposed jar. Then I scoop out 4 Tablespoons for whatever recipe Im making .
Just Like Liptons Onion Soup Mix
While not specifically labeled gluten-free, the onion soup mix from Lipton has been considered gluten-free for many years. Recently, the product ingredients changed and the mix now contains barley.
Both Liptons Recipe Secrets Onion and Vegetable soup mixes now list autolyzed yeast extract made from barley. A consumer representative said this is a change in the formulation. Lipton has a policy of always listing any potentially gluten-containing ingredient on its labels.
Recipe: Russian Dressing Chicken
In a medium bowl, mix dressing, preserves and soup mix together well. In a 9x 13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, pour dressing mix over raw chicken, sprinkled with garlic salt.
Super easy and yummy! One of the best chicken and rice recipes I have come across yet!
This is the simplest crockpot recipe ever. Great for those busy days or for a kid just learning to cook. Simply adjust the amounts for the size of your family.
This is just simple homemade family cooking.
Read Also: Easy Chicken And Rice Casserole Campbells
How To Make Lipton Onion Soup Dip Gluten Free
Just because the store bought packet has gluten doesnt mean a gluten free recipe needs to be difficult. The packet mix is full of ingredients you have in the pantry already. In just a few minutes you can make a dip that is just as good than the one Lipton created.
For a printable version of my Dry Onion Soup Mix recipe, click HERE. The ingredients are also all listed on the recipe card below.
Dont Miss: Aldi Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Benefits Of Making Homemade Onion Soup Mix Yourself
Im sorry if Im repeating myself but honestly guys I cant say it enough. Making your own homemade french onion soup mix is great! The main reason is that you are in control of what ingredients you are using. And that is worth a lot!
And add in the fact that buying your spices in bulk and making your own big batch of onion soup mix will save you money in the long run. Buying premade soup mixes are expensive for only 2 packets at a time.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe Oven
Homemade Onion Soup Mix
We love having this homemade onion soup mix ready to go. My brother in law is allergic to MSG, so its always great to have an easy seasoning on hand when we are entertaining for him!
This homemade onion soup mix is great in soups like chicken noodle soup, but it works for just about anything you want to add some flavor to. Grilled chicken breasts, 4 Ingredient Chicken Rice Casserole, you name it!
Homemade Onion Soup Mix To Replace The Packets
Making my own homemade onion soup mix sounded like a better alternative. And it is tasty!
I mix it into dip, stew it with pot roast, and stir it into meatloaf and meatballs. All I can say: Super Yum. The dip was flavorful, the roast well seasoned, and the meatloaf? Pretty awesome.
Try this mix out in your favorite recipe that calls for commercial soup mix and let us know how it works out.
Read Also: Chicken Rice Onion Soup Mix
How Can You Save More When Making This Recipe
Consider these strategies from the Good Cheap Eats System to help you lower your costs even more:
- Use what you have. While the onion flakes, salt, and pepper are required for the recipe, you can take a little liberality with the other spices, swapping in whatever youve got in the house, such as oregano for the thyme, chili powder for the paprika, and onion powder for the garlic powder.
- Make a plan for leftover ingredients. One batch of this mix will probably serve you for at least two recipes. Make sure to use it all so as not to waste it.
- Visit the store with the best prices. The cost of herbs and spices can vary widely from store to store. Compare prices so you know where to stock up.
- Check the sales and clearance. When you see great prices, load up on these ingredients so you can have your own onion soup mix whenever you want.
- Buy spices in bulk. I love shopping at Costco to save a few dollars. Instead of paying a few dollars for a small jar of garlic powder or onion flakes, I buy larger container for even less!
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To use, stir into recipes as you would commercial onion soup mix .
Copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix Recipe
This homemade dry onion soup mix recipe is so easy to make and taste just like Lipton Onion Soup Mix.Made with basic pantry staple spices, its perfect for making classic onion dip and seasoning many other recipes.
Who doesnt love Lipton Onion Soup Mix? Especially, during the holidays. Its in every bowl of gravy, casserole, and the best dish of all classic french onion dip. That stuff is like crack. However, this tiny packet of seasoning is also loaded with fillers, preservatives, and tons of sodium. So, no Bueno.
But, you can make your own homemade dry onion soup mix thats much healthier. Its perfect for adding flavor to veggie burgers, roasted red potatoes, and making that coveted onion dip that everyone loves. This is not just one more copycat recipe its better! Dont let your pantry be caught without it. Ready? Lets make it!
Gluten Free Onion Soup Mix Recipe
There are so many amazing recipes out there that call of a package of onion soup mix.
Weve all made them before, or have at least tried to before we realized that the onion soup mix you buy at the grocery store is not gluten free.
Packaged mixes often include gluten, soy, and chemical preservatives that we just dont want.
While I have seen gluten free onion soup for cooking in stores, I havent seen the need to buy them because making my own is so simple.
This gluten free onion soup mix recipe has 8 easy-to-find ingredients and comes together in a matter of minutes.
Store it, and have onion soup mix on hand for use in recipes like gluten free onion dip and gluten free French onion soup.
How To Use Dry Onion Soup Mix
This seasoning blend is extremely versatile and can be used to add flavor to so many dishes. I love using for a traditional French Onion Chip Dip or to season roasts, but there are so many creative ways to put this mix to use. Here is a bit of inspiration for you.
- Add a tablespoon or two to rice while cooking for incredible flavor, much like a rice pilaf.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons to pot roast in addition to other seasonings for additional flavor.
- Add 2 tablespoons to cup olive oil mixed with ¼ cup red wine vinegar and use as a marinades for meats or vegetables before grilling/roasting.
- Add 1 tablespoon to meatloaf mixture before baking.
- Toss with cubed potatoes before roasting or pan frying for a delicious coating of flavor.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Chicken And Rice Casserole Recipes
Using Your Onion Soup Mix
The easiest way to use this mix is to think of what you would normally use those packets for. A ¼ cup measuring cup equals about a packet.
Add ½ cup of this onion soup mix recipe to 2 cups of water. Simmer and serve! You can add rice or noodles for some extra calories. You can also melt Swiss cheese over it to make French onion soup!
Mix ¼ cup of the onion soup mix into your favorite meatloaf recipe. Bake and watch everyone smile!
French Onion Dip
Add ¼ cup onion soup mix to 2 cups of sour cream. Mix and enjoy! You can dip chips or, for a healthier option, dip your veggies.
Grind ¼ cup onion soup mix to a powder. Dredge pork chops in the soup mix and bake. Homemade shake-n-bake!
Add ¼ cup onion soup mix to ¼ cup olive oil and ¾ cup vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar for added flavor. Mix well and place in a glass bowl. Add your chicken and turn to coat. Cover and leave in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. Turn once in a while. Grill or bake as you normally would.
Creamy Onion Soup
Add ½ cup of half-and-half to the soup recipe above. If you like the soup thicker, use 1½ cups of water instead of two. Makes a great thermos meal on a cold day.
Why Make Your Own
If prepackaged dry rubs, soup mixes, and seasonings are so convenient and easy to find, why bother to make your own? Thats easy:
- Cost: You can make your own mixes for much less than the cost of a tiny packet from the grocery store.
- Health concerns: When you make your own you can control the amount of sodium. And, if there is a particular ingredient that you dont like you can omit it easily.
- Portion size: Most prepackaged mixes make enough for a family of 4. What if you are cooking for 1, 2, or 6?
- Christmas gift-giving: Homemade mixes are a wonderful way of sharing your passion for good cooking with those you love. If someone on your gift-list lives in a dorm, lives alone or enjoys camping/traveling, a collection of soup or seasoning mixes would make a great stocking stuffer.
Read Also: Cream Of Mushroom Roast
What To Serve With Lipton Onion Soup Burgers
As hearty and delicious as burgers are, they arent as much fun to eat without the sides! The sides add excitement to the table, making your meal even more unforgettable.
Looking for ideas? Here are some dishes that complement burgers wonderfully.
- French Fries. Ah. The classic! Crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and deliciously salty all over. Take it up another notch by drizzling truffle oil over your fries!
- Onion Rings. The subtle sweetness of onions gives your savory burgers a nice flavor contrast. Plus, who can resist that crunch?
- Coleslaw. Crisp cabbage and carrots are coated in a creamy, tangy dressing. Its a light, cold, and refreshing treat that tastes amazing with burgers!
French Onion Soup Mix Recipe
What should I make for dinner tonight? This might just be the number one question that we ask ourselves almost daily over here.
Then you have come to the right place, we have rounded up 21 french onion soup mix recipe that we have shared over the years.
Plus, there is such a variety of flavours in these recipes, so you are sure to find something for you. Most of these recipes are quick and easy ones made especially for busy weeknights.
Read Also: Dolly Parton’s Vegetable Soup Recipe
Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Make a larger batch. Easily double or triple the recipe if you find yourself going through each jar quickly.
- Dont forget the soy sauce! Sprinkling this over the seasonings may seem a bit unconventional, but its a small amount and doesnt add much more moisture than the bouillon already has.
- Sugar substitute: I find that this helps balance the stronger flavors, but you can easily omit it or use your favorite artificial sweetener.
- Need a vegetarian version? Simply replace the beef bouillon with vegetable bouillon instead.
- Add celery seed. This spice isnt as commonly used, but it really adds an authentic flavor. Include teaspoon in this recipe and use the extra in rubs and salad dressings!
How To Use ItWhat You Will Need For This Recipe
- Mixing Bowl – I like to have a variety of sizes on hand, and this set has them all.
- Beef Bouillon Granules – This is my preferred brand. The flavor is phenomenal and it keeps from a long time in the pantry.
- Mason Jar – I absolutely love these and use them for storing, prepping, drinking glasses, and especially canning.
Make Sure To Pin This Recipe Or Repin
Inexpensive to make plus you know what is going into your food.
Everyday at 1 pm PST/ 4pm EST Budget Savvy Diva posts a NEW RECIPE I might miss this time every now or then but I know you understand
Make sure to follow Budget Savvy Diva on Facebook
Find Copy Cat Restaurant Recipes HERE
Find Crock Pot Recipes HERE
Find Gluten Free Recipes HERE
Find more Recipes HERE
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Don’t Miss: Roast Beef With Lipton Onion Soup Recipe
What Is Onion Soup Mix Made Of
Store-bought onion soup mix contains similar ingredients to the homemade version, however, they contain a lot more preservatives.
This homemade version of the mix contains beef bullion, dehydrated onion flakes, onion powder, paprika, garlic, black pepper, salt, dried parsley, celery seed and some brown sugar.
Recipes Using Onion Soup Mix
- Listed on the package would be dip. Thats great with chips that is just mixed with sour cream and maybe a bit of black pepper if desired.
- Adds additional flavor to our Ninja Foodi french onion soup or Crockpot French onion soup. Great choices for dinner some night
It seriously makes otherwise bland simple ingredients like ground beef and breadcrumbs come to life with a lot more flavor. My mom used to use one all the time to make her quick meatloaf recipe. I grew up on this dry soup mix in the cupboard at all times. I just thought everyone made it this wayand maybe you do too??
Nutritional information is listed below. You can print recipe or just come back again and again. We always love seeing you here so dont go anywhere once youre done.
We have lots of other tips like making a batch of your own Lawrys seasoned salt, tri tip dry rub and more. I publish something new 7 days a week too so make sure to keep up with all our goodies. Best way to do that is to join our newsletter below. Always free so there is nothing to lose.
How long does soup mix last? That is where the packaging comes into play. As long as you store it in a well sealed container or even a smaller freezer bag with the air sucked out it will stay good for up to 2 years! If you love batch cooking this is for you for sure.
Also Check: Olive Garden Soup Salad Lunch
How To Make Soup
One of the most common questions is how to make soup from dry onion soup mix. The process couldnt be simpler! If you want to make soup, add 4 cups boiling water or low sodium beef broth and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Add caramelized onions, frozen veggies or even thinly sliced beef or chicken to make a whole meal.
Copycat Lipton French Onion Soup Mix
If you are concerned that youll need exactly the same amount as you would get in one packet, then just measure it. Then store in snack baggies instead. 3 Tbsp. should go into each one if you want to measure it out and store that way. That is easy enough to remember and you can save bags by just writing a note about this on the jar.
Whole reason to do this would be to save money and to save all that excess packaging. All those bags are not necessary and just ends up in a landfill so Tupperware works better because you can wash it when you need to make another batch of it.
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Ingredients Label
Make Your Own Soup Mix
I have to admit, onion soup mix is a staple item in our pantry. Up until now, I have always bought the little packets from the store. But now I have a perfect recipe to replace the store bought stuff!
Making your own means you know what’s going into the soup mix. I did purchase beef bouillon granules and after reading all the ingredients on several different brands of bouillon, I picked out one that works for me.
The bullion or broth base I used was from Orrington Farms and is pretty readily available in most grocery stores. I like this brand because it is gluten free and minimal on the additives. They also have a low sodium variety you can choose.
You can use any brand you’d like, but do get a powdered or granular broth, not cubes or a paste.
We like to use this onion soup mix for making sour cream dip. It’s so easy, and talk about flavor! It’s perfect for any chip, veggie or cracker.
This recipe makes a large batch so you can easily store in your pantry and have it ready for whenever you need it. One packet of store bought soup mix is equal to ¼ cup of this homemade soup mix.
This is called a soup mix, but it’s also a spice mix! It can be added to so many different recipes to give a punch of flavor!