Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is so quick and easy to make, youll be saying goodbye to the canned stuff for good. Made with homemade chicken broth and filled with healthy vegetables, shredded chicken, and loads of noodles, this comforting chicken noodle soup is hearty, yet healthy and perfect on a cold winter night.
There are, quite literally, hundreds of different ways to make Chicken Noodle Soup. Like a big hug from mom , this is my version of the quintessential get well soonsoup that is essential to surviving childhoodand the winter.
United States And Canada
In the United States and Canada, chicken soup often has noodles or rice in it, thus giving it its common name of “chicken noodle soup“. The term may have been coined in a commercial for the Campbell Soup Company in the 1930s. The original 21 varieties of Campbell’s condensed soup featured a “chicken soup with noodles”, but when it was advertised on the Amos ‘n’ Andyradio show in the 1930s by a slip of the tongue the soup was referred to as “chicken noodle soup”. Traditionally, American chicken soup was prepared using old hens too tough and stringy to be roasted or cooked for a short time. In modern times, these fowl are difficult to come by, and broiler chickens are often used to make soup.
Canned chicken soup
Often sold as a condensed soup, canned chicken soup such as Campbell‘s Chicken Noodle Soup, is notable for its high sodium content: 890 mg per 1â2 cup serving. This gives a 1+1â2 cup bowl of soup about 2,500 mg of sodium, a full day’s allowance in the case of this mainstream brand. Other condensed chicken soups produced by Campbell’s, such as Chicken with Rice or Chicken & Stars Soup, have similar amounts, as do generic versions of the product.
Usually, the main ingredients of this canned soup are:
- Chicken Broth
Simple Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
It is a good idea to cook Simple Chicken Noodle Soup when you feel chilly. It can satisfy your hunger while making you feel cozy. This recipe that I am sharing today is a simple version that you can prepare anywhere and anytime. I usually make one during the evening for dinner, when the weather is cold or if I just need to feel comfortable.
When you or someone you love is not feeling well, a bowl of simple chicken noodle soup can help make you feel better. It contains nutrients that should be able to assist you to get back on track while providing a comfort on every sip.
Note that I used spiral noodles in this recipe because I think that it is more available elsewhere compared to egg noodles, which is the traditional ingredient for this soup. The spiral noodle is a type of pasta known as Rotini. The egg noodles, on the other hand, are made from unleavened flour that was rolled, flattened, and cut into pieces. If both ingredients are not available you can always use elbow macaroni.
Literally The Best Chicken Noodle Soup
Literally the BEST Chicken Noodle Soup has thick chicken chunks, sliced carrots and celery, wide noodles soaking in a smooth chicken broth filled with flavorful seasonings and cooked to perfection. A warm and comforting soup this winter!
How To Store And Freeze Chicken Soup
Refrigerate the finished soup for up to 5 days and reheat gently over low heat. Note that the egg noodles will expand quite a bit in the soup. If you don’t like this, cook the noodles separately and add them to each bowl.
The soup will also freeze well for up to 3 months. We advise waiting to add the noodles to the soup until serving.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Low Sodium
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
Recipe may contain gluten, soy, sesame and wheat.
Chicken soup is like food for the soul and this one will give you an instant pick-me-up.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 300g chicken breast fillets, diced
- 50g spaghetti, broken into 5cm pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped flat eaf parsley leaves
- Thick wholegrain toast, to serve
- Select all ingredients
- Heat oil
Unsure of the quantity needed?
OK, Got It in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add carrot , celery and potato and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Add stock Massel chicken style liquid stock), cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken and pasta , partially cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup:
Make Homemade Chicken Stock ahead of time using a rotisserie chicken, or choose a good brand of store-bought chicken stock.
Sauté veggies. Add butter, diced celery and carrots to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add chicken stock or broth. Season the broth with salt , pepper, and a tiny pinch of rosemary, sage and crushed red pepper. I may add another small spoonful of better than bullion chicken or chicken bouillon powder as well, if needed, to taste.
Add noodles and boil. Once boiling, add noodles and cook just until noodles are al dente. If using store-bought noodles, be cautious not to overcook them! Remove the soup pot from heat as soon as the noodles are just barely tender, as they will continue to cook off of the heat.
Add chicken. Add chicken meat from the rotisserie chicken. Taste the broth again and add more seasonings, if needed.
Also Check: Is Chef’s Cupboard Broth Gluten Free
How To Store Leftover Soup
I love to double my chicken noodle soup recipe to have for now and then stored in the freezer. It will be the one soup everyone is raving about this winter season! It makes it perfect for warming up on the cold winter days or when I know someone is not feeling well.
- In the refrigerator: Follow the recipe and let cool completely. Once your chicken noodle soup is cooled, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. When reheating you may need to add in more broth.
- Can you make chicken noodle soup ahead of time? Yes! I love this recipe for that. Simply make and cook your chicken noodle soup. I like to leave out the noodles if I know I am making ahead of time. I even chop my vegetables thicken so they wont be mushy or too soft while cooking for a longer period of time. This is a great way to make it in a slow cooker too.
- Can you freeze chicken noodle soup? Yes, this chicken noodle soup will freeze well. Follow the directions making the chicken noodle soup except skip adding in the noodles. Allow the chicken noodle soup to cool completely. Place in a ziplock bag and lay flat in the freezer. Make sure that you label the bag with the date! When ready to warm up then you can thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat then you can reheat iton the stove or in the microwave and add in the noodles at this time. This will last in the freezer for about one month.
Does Chicken Noodle Soup Cure A Cold
Growing up, chicken noodle soup seemed to be the cure-all for any ailment. Interestingly, research shows that chicken soup has mild anti-inflammatory effects and can help clear nasal passages. Also, the broth helps hydrate you and the chicken is a delicious source of protein both of which can help you feel better. While it may not cure all illnesses, Chicken Noodle Soup is a feel-good soup.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Roast
Can I Use Dried Herbs In Place Of Fresh
If you dont have fresh herbs on hand dried herbs will work great too. The general rule is to use 1/3 the amount listed of dry herbs in place of fresh.
You can also swap out the herbs I use here for some you may like better . Other good options would be basil, oregano, marjoram, an Italian seasoning blend, or even fresh dill.
How To Make Chicken Soup
We start this soup with a simple Soffritto . Also know as the holy trinity of cooking. A simple combination of three aromatics:
The three are sautéed together to provide the flavour base for this soup.
For a hearty and flavourful soup, Chicken Thighs or Legs are ideal. The darker meats along with the bones provide a stronger taste compared to white meat , creating a richer broth with plenty of flavour. Add them in along with your broth after your soffritto is done.
Crushed Bouillon is an optional add in and go in along with your broth providing a lot of flavour. If you dont have access to bouillon, use regular stock powder or omit!
Simmer until the chicken is falling off the bone and cooked through, then shred chicken with forks and throw the meat back into the soup.
Also Check: Crock Pot Roast French Onion Soup Mix
How To Make Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
This easy chicken soup takes about 30 minutes to make. The SECRET to amping up the flavor happens in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Adding dill and a pressed clove of garlic is what my Mother does for nearly all of her soups and I have adopted this in my own kitchen. It is a brilliant and easy way to make your chicken soup taste fantastic!
Create A Free Account To Save Recipes
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Turn on the sauté function and add butter or olive oil with onions, garlic, celery, salt and pepper.
- Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add all other ingredients to the instant pot except for the pasta.
- Cook on manual setting on high for a total time of 10 minutes, then release naturally.
- Once the pressure is released, remove the lid and take out the chicken breast.
- Shred, then return to the pot with cooked egg noodles, stirring to combine, and serve.
More Noodle Soup Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use fresh herbs to make chicken stock?
If youd like to use fresh herbs for the chicken stock, like thyme or rosemary, tie them into a bundle with cooking twine. Then you can easily remove them when the soup is done.
How do I skim the fat from homemade chicken soup?
When the homemade chicken noodle soup cools down, a layer of fat may solidify on the top. This is especially true if you used a whole chicken instead of chicken breasts. You can skim this off to reduce the fat in the dish. Or, it will melt back into the broth when reheated.
How do I use a chicken carcass to make broth?
If you do use a rotisserie or whole chicken, you can boil or slow cook the bones or freeze them to make chicken broth another night. I promise you, homemade chicken broth is easier then you think!
What garnishes go well with Chicken Noodle Soup?
Garnish this with flat leaf parsley and a side of crunchy crackers.
You May Like: Chicken Rice And Campbell Soup Recipe
How To Meal Prep
This soup is great for meal prep! It stores super well I just recommend storing the noodles separate from the soup or the noodles will get too soggy. Store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat the soup, I recommend heating the soup and then pouring over the cold noodles to heat the noodles.
Save Time And Use Rotisserie Chicken Or Leftover Chicken
For the easiest chicken noodle soup, if you have a rotisserie or leftover chicken, instead of adding chicken thighs to the pot, add two to three cups of shredded or diced cooked chicken to the soup at the same time as adding the dried noodles.
Since there is no need to cook the chicken thighs anymore, reduce the simmer time by 10 minutes. We use this method whenever weve roasted a whole chicken the night before.
For even more tips, you can also take a read through our article for How to Make the Best Leftover Chicken Soup.
Also Check: Sloppy Joes Using Tomato Soup
What Is In Chicken Noodle Soup
The ingredients in this soup are simple: chicken, carrots, celery, onions, noodles, broth, and herbs.
- CHICKEN: You can use rotisserie chicken or cook your own from chicken breasts or thighs.
- BROTH: The chicken broth is the base of this soup. I like to use Better than Bouillon Base because of its rich flavor. You could make your own homemade chicken broth if you want.
- VEGETABLES: Carrots, celery, and onion are the classic veggies in chicken noodle soup. Feel free to add your own.
- NOODLES: Homemade egg noodles do not take that long and take this soup to the next level! If youre running short on time, store bought egg noodles will work.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Ive been traveling around latelylike a lot. Its been really hard to get back in the swing of things this week but I took some time to rest up and I THINK Im ready to rock. Three cities in two weeks and lots of information to take inand I skipped around NYC with the best of the best from Better Homes and Gardens.
Life isnt too shabby around here lately. But all of that being social does suck the life out of meI love getting out and meeting people but I sometimes wish we could all just hang out on my sofa with fluffy socks, a big blanket and a bucket of buttery popcorn or chocolate chip cookies. Which is about the speed Im moving right now.
On the last few days of my trip, I really was looking forward to coming home and hugging my family. Hanging out in my own housewith my own showermy own shampoo and my My Pillow. And I was so hungry, like famishedlike I lost 5 pounds in two weeks and I knew I had some of the Best Chicken Noodle Soup just waiting for me in the freezer when I got home.
Its the ultimate in comfort foodsup there next to mac and cheese but I really liked leaving those 5 pounds back in New York so I chose the healthier of the two options.
I know most of you know what Chicken Noodle Soup is and probably have some version of it stashed away in your recipe box. The rest of you.if youre like me, you grew up on Campbells Chicken Noodles Soup. Either way, you probably agree with me that its the ultimate comfort food that wont fill you out.
Also Check: Soup Salad And Breadsticks Olive Garden To Go
What You Need To Make Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Broth or stock: Although they are slightly different, both chicken broth and chicken stock work in most soup recipes. You may use either homemade or store-bought, however, the key to any good chicken noodle soup is having a delicious broth. Typically made by simmering chicken in water with fresh herbs or spices, traditional chicken broth for chicken noodle soup is clear and light.
- Vegetables: The most common vegetables included in classic chicken noodle soup here in the US include a mixture of onion, celery, and carrots .
- Herbs: In this version, I left things super simple and only added a touch of fresh chopped parsley after the soup was finished cooking. Other popular herbs, dried or fresh, include oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- Noodles: Traditionally egg noodles are added as they have a higher egg to wheat ratio and, typically, hold up a little better in steaming bowls of hot chicken soup.
- Chicken: In this recipe, bone-in chicken pieces will be simmered in water until cooked. This will make the base chicken stock. The cooked chicken will be removed, the meat will be shredded from the bones, and the meat will be added back to the soup toward the end of cooking.
Ingredients To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
This chicken noodle soup is just what you need this winter season. Everything is so simple to throw together and perfect for that leftover chicken! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact ingredient measurements.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is great for sautéing your vegetables and making sure that they dont stick.
- Carrots: Slice these up up as thick as you prefer.
- Celery: You can cut these up into larger or smaller slices, depending on your preference. My kids always like all the vegetable chopped up into tiny pieces!
- Onion: Chop this onion up into pieces that are the same size so that it cooks evenly.
- Garlic Cloves: If you donthave any fresh garlic cloves on hand then you can use minced garlic. ½ teaspoon equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme stems really add in a deep flavor to the broth.
- Salt and pepper: You only need a pinch to have these make an impact.
- Chicken broth: The chicken broth adds a lot of depth and flavor to the base of the soup.
- Egg noodles: Using egg noodles that are thick will help to soak up the broth when eating.
- Chicken:You can use leftover chicken that you have on hand. Or make it easy on yourself and grab a rotissarie chicken from the store and shred that up to put in this recipe!
- Parsley: The parsley pairs well with the thyme creating a very flavorful seasoning.
Also Check: Pillsbury Crescent Pot Pie