Health Benefits Of This Soup
We love a soup that is packed with nutrients and this definitely is. Potatoes get a bad reputation, but when cooked the right way, they are healthy.
They are low in fat, sodium and cholesterol, they have nearly half of your daily vitamin C and they are a great source of potassium – even more than a banana. They are full of fibre and magnesium, and they are filling too. On top of this, they are also suitable for almost any diet, from vegan to gluten free. I am not sure what more you could want?
As for leeks, they have lots of health benefits too. They are a good source of vitamins A, C and K and also contain iron and fibre.
How To Make Vegan Potato Leek Soup
Here is a quick overview of the steps with a few photos for reference. You can find the full printable recipe card below.
- Saute: Start with the leeks by sauteing them for 7 10 minutes. When ready, theyll be soft and tender. Tip: Make sure to keep an eye on the temperature so they dont burn.
- Simmer: Now we bring it all together by adding the potatoes, herbs, bay leaves, liquids and salt, let simmer for 15 minutes. Will be ready when potatoes are soft and tender.
- Puree: Finally, soup is done! Either eat as is , or puree your soup using an immersion blender or food processor. Feel free to find that happy medium between chunky and smooth!
How To Make Leek And Potato Soup
Leek are like onions they have a pretty harsh raw flavour. So the key to a really great Leek Soup is to slowly sauté them in garlic butter until they transform and become soft and sweet. Its kind of like caramelising onions for French Onion Soup except we dont take it as far.
After that, just plonk the potatoes and stock in, simmer until the potato is literally crumbling .
Blitz, stir in cream and serve!
I like to serve mine with croutons. Just a teeny tiny sprinkle of crunchy buttery bread somehow magically makes any soup so much more fabulous.
And while this is a potato based soup, that still doesnt stop me from tearing up hunks of crusty warm bread, slathering in butter and dunking into the soup.
Carb on carb fabulousness! Nagi x
Recommended Reading: Soup For Kidney Patients
How Can I Get More Potatoes Into My Diet
Potatoes are so versatile and they are great served up with most things. Like roast potatoes or mashed potatoes with your roast chicken or roast beef dinner on a Sunday. Or if you just want an easy side to go with your mid week meals try these garlic, herb foil pack potatoes. Other potato soups that are just as satisfying as leek and potato on a cold day are celeriac and potato soup or creamy clam chowder. Or for a meal thats a little more substantial why not try my super affordable Frozen Salmon and potato traybake? Or salmon and mackerel fishcakes.
How To Make Potato Leek Soup
Follow this step-by-step photo tutorial, then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
1- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, for 7-10 minutes or until soft .
TIP: If the leeks start to scorch on the bottom of the pan, reduce the heat slightly and add a small splash of water.
Garnish: Remove a few tablespoons of the cooked leeks to reserve for garnish, if desired.
2 – Peel and chop the potatoes, then add them to the pot with the stock and water.
3 – Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are fully cooked through.
4- Carefully transfer to a blender in batches and blend until smooth.
Serve hot in bowls topped with the reserved cooked leeks.
You May Like: Cream Of Mushroom Soup Roast
Healthy And Easy Leek And Potato Soup Recipe
If youre looking for an easy-to-make leek and potato soup that is healthy, quick, and delicious then look no further this is by far one of my favorite soups to serve as a starter that goes well regardless of the season.
In the fine dining Nordic restaurant where I currently work, at least once a year, the head chef put traditional leek and potato soup on the menu which is always a huge hit to our customers. Who can blame them? It combines simple delicious flavors together in one smooth spoonful of goodness.
Everyone legit loved it and that is why Im sharing with you my version of this classic dish a low cal leek and potato soup you can serve your friends and family!
Hey, you awesome human! Its Evan here , it is cool that youre here and I hope youre having the best day. If you happen to make this recipe, please do not forget to take a photo and tag me on Instagram and Ill make sure to share it with the world. See you around the nets!
Should I Saut The Ingredients First
This is a question I get asked all the time when making soups. The answer is really down to how you are cooking your soup, as well as personal taste.
As my soup maker has a saute function built into it I do tend to use this feature. It really is as simple as heating up a little oil or butter first and then adding the ingredients to the soup maker. All in one pot, no need for additional pans and washing up. If my soup maker didnt have a saute function I would likely skip this step more often than not.
You May Like: Panera Soup Sold In Grocery Stores
Tips On Leek Preparation:
- Start by chopping the dark green part of the leeks off and discarding it , then slice them up from there .
- Leeks usually have some stubborn hidden dirt, so I am always extra careful about washing them. Once you’ve done the step above, you can then add the chopped leeks to a sieve/colander and rinse them , or you can add them to a bowl of cool water then drain it once they’ve soaked for a bit.
- Another method you can try: after removing the dark green top portion of the leek, cut the leeks lengthwise in half before slicing them, then fan out each half under running water, and then slice them up after you’ve rinsed them.
- I have a whole guide on How to Prepare Leeks if you’re interested.
Video Result For Leek And Broccoli Soup
Mass Appeal Broccoli cheddar and potato leek soups
Broccoli, Leek, And Chickpea Soup
Broccoli Soup Recipe with Toasted Walnuts – Woolworths…
Raw Broccoli Leek Soup
Creamy Broccoli and Leek Soup | Easy and Simple soup…
Broccoli and Stilton Soup Recipe – Winter Warmers -…
Homemade Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
Paleo Diet Recipe – Leek Fennel and Broccoli Soup By A…
Creamy Broccoli Soup – Gluten Free, Vegan & Delicious…
Vegetarian Leek Soup | Low Carb | No potatoes
Anti-Inflammatory Foods & A Creamy Broccoli Soup…
How to make Broccoli Potato Leek Soup
Chef D’s Broccoli and Spinach Soup
Cleansing Greens Soup – Pruv Wellness – Vegan Soup…
Broccoli, Spinach & Pea Soup Recipe
SImple Potato Leek Soup with a salad of hot smoked…
Jamie Oliver’s Super Leek and Potato Soup | Super Food…
Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
Creamy broccoli soup recipe with cheese croutons |…
Soup Week: Broccoli and Blue Cheese Soup
How To Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Soup By Rachael
Cream of Broccoli Soup | Everyday Food with Sarah Carey
Creamy vegan broccoli soup
5 Ingredient Broccoli and Potato Soup
Broccoli, Spinach Soup with Avocado Toasts – Eat Clean…
Stilton and broccoli soup | budget meals | Vegetarian…
Classic Broccoli & Stilton soup easy recipe 🙂 Cook…
Broccoli and potato soup
Low Calorie Broccoli and Stilton Soup Recipe – With no…
– Broccoli and Leek…
– Broccoli and Leek…
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken Rice Casserole
Leek & Potato Soup And Special Diets
If you looked at the recipe below youre probably yelling at the screen right now. How can all that loads of butter and cream possibly be good for you? If you ate it on a daily basis, it probably isnt.
The original recipe is for special occasions when you have guests over or simply want to please yourself if youre in desperate need of some comfort food.
Of course, the beauty of cooking is that all recipes can be tweaked. Heres how to make it healthier.
Making The Leek And Potato Soup
Time to locate your big saucepan to begin cooking the soup. Add the oil to the pan and begin by cooking the onions, potatoes and leeks. Stir them around a bit and leave them to cook on a gently heat for about ten minutes.
Add the stock and give it a quick stir and let it cook for around twenty minutes on medium heat. Add the milk. You need to keep a closer watch on it now as milk is prone to boiling over you know how that goes!
Once everything is warmed through, turn the heat off and blend the soup. You could use a hand blender or a jug blender. You may need to do this in batches. Once it reaches a consistency that you like, stop. If its too thick and gloopy for your tastes, then thin it down with a little water.
Check the seasoning and pour into some warmed bowls.
Recommended Reading: Onion Soup Mix Pot Roast
How To Freeze Soup & Keep Leftovers Fresh
Keep leftover soup fresh: let the soup cool and store in an airtight container, chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Freeze soup: make sure soup has cooled to room temperature, then add to a ziplock freezer bag to lay flat and save room, or store in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 1-3 months. When ready to serve thaw at room temperature, or in the fridge overnight, then reheat in a pot.
What To Serve It With
To give our leek and potato soup a bit of texture, we love serving it with some crunchy croutons on top. We make our own easy croutons by chopping up some bread in to squares and drizzling over a little olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic granules and dried herbs. Put them in the oven for about 5 minutes to crisp up. Perfect for adding to soups and salads.
You could keep it simple and serve the soup with some French bread fresh from the oven. Garlic bread is also great to dip in it, and that is a favourite with our kids.
This time, we served it with our Garlic and Rosemary Focaccia, which is a really easy and delicious homemade bread that goes perfectly with leek and potato soup.
Recommended Reading: Olive Garden Soup And Salad Lunch
Can You Freeze Leek And Potato Soup
Short answer: yes. You definitely can freeze this soup and it defrosts beautifully. After it has defrosted, warm it up on a pot, and using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth again. Cream tends to separate from water when you freeze it so it is always a good idea to emulsify everything once again after defrosting it.
Using A Soup Maker Couldnt Be Easier
Making soup is so easy whether you have a soup maker or not. I love my soup maker because it is so incredibly easy.
With a soup maker you dont have to worry about blending the soup because not only does it cook the soup, but it blends it too. What could be easier than that?!
My soup maker has a setting for smooth soup which takes 21 minutes. Occasionally if I have cut the potatoes a bit larger than usual, the finished soup is a bit grainy in texture.
Dont worry if this happens to you, I just set the soup to run for another smooth cycle. After this the soup should be perfectly smooth.
You May Like: Lipton Roast
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Its made with just 4 ingredients that you can find at any grocery store.
Its extremely budget-friendly as you can find a bag of potatoes for cheap!
You can make a big batch for a large family dinner or appetizer.
Its made without cream so it can easily be made dairy-free and completely vegan.
You can add your favorite herbs and spices to change it up.
It can be frozen for later use.
A great traditional Irish holiday dish to make for St. Patricks Day.
How To Prepare Leeks For Soup
The best part of the leek to use is light green white areas. The dark green tips are tough and should be removed.
To easily wash leeks, cut them lengthways, slice them, add them to a salad spinner, and soak for 5-10 minutes. Drain, and dry with the salad spinner before using.
If you dont have a salad spinner just soak in a bowl, drain and allow to dry before using.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Soup Delivery Gift
How To Make Leek And Potato Soup:
1. Cook bacon. In a heavy pan, melt the butter and add the bacon. Cook bacon until crisp and the fat is rendered off into the pan.
2. Add leeks and potatoes. Cook until the leeks are soft.
3. Add white wine, stock, bay leaves, & thyme. Simmer until the potatoes are very soft. Blend the soup with an emersion blender until creamy with just a few chunks.
4. Add cream. Remove from heat and cool slightly before adding the cream or temper the cream before adding it to the hot soup. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed, or a sprinkle of crushed red pepper or hot sauce, if desired.
5. Serve. Before serving, allow the soup to cool slightly as it will also thicken slightly as it cools.
Top Results For Leek And Broccoli Soup
Read Also: Red Potatoes And Lipton Onion Soup Mix
How To Make Leek And Potato Soup Step By Step
- Chop up your leeks and rinse thoroughly in a bowl of water.
- Peel and prepare potatoes. Dice and then soak in cold water to remove extra starch.
- In a large pot with oil sauté the leeks, onion, and garlic until soft. Then add broth, thyme sprigs, and potatoes add pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer until potatoes are soft when tested with fork .
- Either use a hand immersion blender or transfer soup to a blender and in batches.
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth . Adjust taste with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Potato Leek Soup Recipe
This time of year, local farmers markets are filled to the brim with the vibrant colors of fall. Pumpkins, apples and winter squash dominate the scene with their rich warm hues and bright pops of color, but venture a little deeper, and you will discover the subtle shades of fall potatoes.
Deep blues and purples, rosy reds and soft buttery yellows nowadays, there are hundreds of different kinds in all shapes and sizes and the farmers market is a great place to find these unique varieties.
Starchy potatoes, like russet potatoes, are very low in moisture. When cooked, their cells separate, becoming airy, light and fluffy. They absorb whatever you pair with them ideal for buttery fluffy mashed potatoes or baked potatoes. Their low moisture content, and high absorption makes them ideal for frying, perfect for french fries or potato pancakes. But these high starch potatoes can also too easily absorb water, so they fall apart when boiled, making them not the best choice for salads.
Conversely, waxy potatoes, including red potatoes, fingerlings, most new potatoes, and some blue potatoes, are low in starch with flesh that is characteristically creamy, firm and moist that holds its shape well after cooking. Theyre typically great for roasting in the oven, blanching, pureed in soups and baked in casseroles. Because they have a more cohesive cell structure and dont get overly mushy, they are an ideal candidate for potato salads.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Why Leek And Potato Soup Is Great For Families
- Make-Ahead Dish: This soup can be made ahead of time making it perfect for busy parents who have to feed hungry children quickly. Store it in the fridge and then heat it up in minutes before serving.
- Suitable for Adults and Young Children: Individual portions can be removed before seasoning making it suitable for babies and younger children.
- Great for those with dietary requirements: This soup is gluten-free and suitable for vegetarians. It is also easy to adapt to make dairy-free / vegan-friendly by substituting the butter for oil and omitting the cream
- Nutrient-Rich: Leeks are considered to be nutrient-dense that is, they are low in calorie but high in vitamins and minerals. They are considered to be sources of Vitamins, A, C and K as well as Maganese. Because of this, leeks, among other things are thought to help with eyesight and immune system function. Leek and Potato Soup is an excellent way to consume leeks.
Bacon Leek And Potato Soup
Heat a large, ovenproof pot over medium high heat. Add 5 slices of back bacon and cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, crumble and set aside.
Carry on frying the vegetables in the bacon dripping, instead of butter, and follow recipe below. When soup is blended, add the crumbled bacon on top.
You May Like: Forgotten Chicken And Rice Casserole