Chicken Soup Cooking Methods
When you are making soups it is so nice because they can be made using several different cooking methods. We will talk about 3 of them, The Stove, Instant Pot, Slow Cooker/Crock Pot.
- Stove: The most common way of cooking things is on the stove. It is an easy and quick way. Just use your favorite large pot, cover and simmer.
- Instant Pot: By using the instant pot to make your chicken soup, it is quick and easy and always comes out tender and tasty. It is especially handy when you dont have the keto chicken soup made ahead of time, it cooks quickly in the instant pot.
- Crock Pot/Slow Cooker: You can use the slow cooker to cook your soup for you while youre at work or just around the house doing other things. Once you prepare it just throw the lid on and set it for 3-4 hours on high or 2-3 hours on low.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
One of the things I love about this simple soup is that it is so quick and easy to put together. Just add everything to the crock pot and walk away. The slow cooker does all the workits perfect when you dont have the time to do anything else.
Using chicken thighs and chicken breasts with the bone in provide nourishing gelatin to the broth during the slow cooking. You can see this when the leftovers thicken up in the refrigerator. Thats the magic of this simple slow cooker chicken soup.
Dont Miss: Gluten Free French Onion Soup Canned
Keto Chicken Vegetable Soup
Whether youre focused on meal prep or just want a big bowl of soup to warm you up, this Keto Chicken Soup will be a hit. Youll find juicy chunks of chicken breast a quick and savory herbal broth, as well as loads of veggies. Perfect for those looking for a low-carb chicken noodle soup option. Each bowl is about 3g net carbs.
Recommended Reading: Campbell’s Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Every Good Soup Starts With A Solid Flavor Base
Let me show you how to make my Chinese Paleo Hot and Sour Soup thats healthy, low carb and Paleo, Whole30, Gluten-free, and with AIP and Keto suggestions.
Every good soup made from scratch starts with a solid flavor base. And in my book that means using Asian aromatics plus a protein. Sauté the aromatics with seasoned protein first to help create a lovely flavor foundation base.
With this in mind, what you do next is absolutely crucial.
Also Check: Ben And Jerrys Turtle Soup
Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food List
Theres something about a hot keto chicken soup recipe that feels like comfort. One bite of this low carb chicken soup will remind you to slow down, making it a perfect meal for cold winter nights. This spaghetti squash soup has all of the traditional components of a chicken noodle soup, but its a keto chicken noodle soup.
Like most keto soups, I adore making this low carb chicken soup recipe every winter, not only to soothe my body but to metaphorically soothe my mind as well. Somehow, sitting down with a big bowl of it is a reminder to slow down and think about whats important.
And when I do get sick, this provides the same chicken soup fix without the carbs. Bonus: this is also a whole30 paleo chicken soup, too.
Keto chicken noodle soup is just one of my many comfort foods made keto recipes. If youre craving traditional comfort foods without the carbs, you may also like keto chicken pot pie, keto shepherds pie, and eggplant lasagna. These good-for-you swaps will satisfy the comfort food craving in a delicious and healthy way.
This keto friendly chicken soup was originally published on February 1, 2017, and the post was republished in January 2021 to add additional pictures and useful tips.
Recommended Reading: Soup For Kidney Patient
More Keto Friendly Recipes To Try
- Low Carb Mexican Stuffed Peppers, this low carb wonder is one of the top recipes here on healthy Seasonal Recipes. Its ready in 20 mintues!
- Give turkey cutlets a chance and try this 20 Minute Low Carb Turkey and Peppers. Youll have a new favorite protein choice!
- This Burger Bowl has a low carb option as well.
- Keto peeps rejoice, heres yet another easy way to enjoy cauliflower: Steamed Cauliflower with Herbs!
- if youre looking for easy breakfast options, these Paleo Egg Muffins with Sausage are awesome for meal prep.
- I also love making this low carb spinach egg bake with cheddar cheese for make ahead breakfasts.
- For a tasty high-protein snack or appetizer, try these spicy deviled eggs! Hot damn!
- More easy breakfast options to try soon: grab-and-go high-protein veggie egg cups
- I bet you havent ever thought to roast cabbage before: curry roasted cabbage!
Thanks for reading. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review!
Note On Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
First published on October 16, 2017. Updated on September 28, 2021, with new images and additional recipe information.
You May Like: Crock Pot Pork Loin Roast Onion Soup Mix
Tofu Hot And Sour Soup
January 15, 2020
With all the recent cold weather, I wanted a hearty, yet filling vegetarian keto soup to warm my cockles and decided to throw together this tofu hot and sour soup. The glucomannan bulks up the soup, adding fibre but without all the carbs that corn starch brings, and the rice vinegar combined with the golden monkfruit sweetener makes it sweet and sour without the sugar.
Is Chicken Soup Keto
Can you eat chicken noodle soup on keto? is a popular question. The answer is, it depends. Most chicken soups are made with rice or noodles, which would not make them keto-friendly.
But yes, you can make a low carb chicken soup! The key to making chicken noodle soup low carb and keto is swapping out the noodles with a low carb option.
Don’t Miss: Is Knorr Onion Soup Mix Gluten-free
Chicken Broth Vs Bone Broth: Whats The Difference
Chicken broth, also called chicken stock can be made with just bullion or with chicken bones. Bone broths are to be simmered for a few hours, until bones become soft and release their collagen and the meat falls away from the bone. Once the bones have released their useful collagen, they are then taken out of the stock and discarded.
What separates chicken broth from bone broth is the high quantity of collagen, indicated by a gelatinous substance that forms upon refrigeration. Collagen makes bone broth a nutrient-packed superfood that has the potential to do wonders for your health. Your bones-to-water ratio determines how much collagen your stock yields. For a thicker stock, use less water with more bones and for thinner stocks, do the opposite.
Low Carb Chicken Soup Variations
- Change up the vegetables: cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, celeriac, spinach and kale can all be used in this recipe.
- Use leftover turkey: if you have Christmas or Thanksgiving leftovers this is a fabulous way to use them up!
- Make it creamyStir in some heavy cream at the end or drizzle it over the soup when you serve.
- Keto chicken noodle soup Add some shirataki noodles in with the cabbage. These no carb noodles add bulk to the soup but they are flavourless and a little bit on the rubbery side.
- Serving little kids? If you are serving this soup to babies/ toddlers leave out the salt and blend it until it is smooth.
- Slimming World Variation Use cooking spray such as Fry Light to sauté the vegetables. This soup is syn-free, optional Parmesan can be part of your healthy extras or left out.
Read Also: Baked Chicken And Rice Casserole Campbells
Tools To Make Keto Chicken Noodle Soup
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Baking Sheet This baking sheet works great for roasting the spaghetti squash for this recipe.
- Dutch Oven Let your keto chicken soup recipe simmer away in this dutch oven thats sturdy AND beautiful.
- Soup LadleLong enough so that it wont slip into the pot!
- Souper Cubes Freeze extra keto soup with chicken in these soup cubes, which freezes individual portions.
Creamy Keto Cauliflower Soup Recipe
This Creamy Keto Cauliflower Soup recipe is the perfect comfort food on a cold winter day. It is low in carbs and calories, but high in rich flavor. The soup can be made in just a few minutes in an Instant Pot with ingredients that you likely have on hand. Even though this soup is low carb its so creamy and flavorful that your whole family will love it.
Don’t Miss: Oven Baked Rice With Onion Soup Mix
Ways To Lower Carbs In Soups And Stews
Many recipes for chicken soup include noodles or potatoes which are avoided on a low carb diet. Instead, add spiralized zucchini, daikon radish or shiratake noodles as ketogenic noodle replacements. I like to add celery root to my soups and stews! Celery root looks like potatoes and provides a nice depth of flavor, similar to a parsnip, to soups and stews.
The Best Keto Chicken Soup Ingredients
The ingredients for low carb chicken noodle soup are not so different from the regular kind. Were just swapping the noodles with spaghetti squash. Youll need:
- Chicken I used pre-cooked shredded chicken I made in my Instant Pot, but you can also make baked chicken breast and dice that in. Or you can just add uncooked chicken to the soup, and shred it once its cooked.
- Carrots While carrots are not super keto friendly on their own, they are perfectly fine in small amounts in a soup like this
- Chicken broth I like a combination of this chicken broth and this bone broth. Adding bone broth takes this keto chicken soup recipe to the next level for both taste and health benefits. Its full of collagen ! You can make your own or buy quality bone broth here.
- Italian Seasoning I like to make homemade Italian seasoning like this, but I also recommend this brand if you prefer to buy pre-made
- Spaghetti squash Youll use half for this recipe, so see my ideas below for ways to use the rest
plus sea salt and black pepper.
How To Make Keto Chicken Soup Step By Step
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over a medium heat. Sauté the onion, leek and celery for about 5 minutes, stirring, until they begin to soften.
Add the minced garlic, salt / pepper and tomato paste and sauté for another couple of minutes.
Stir in the zucchini, rutabaga and bay leaves .
Add the chicken broth and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken tenders. Cook with the lid on for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Use tongs to pick out the chicken then shred using two forks. If you are using leftover roast chicken add it now.
Remove the bay leaves from the soup. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup JUST A LITTLE so it thickens. You dont want to blend it so its completely smooth unless thats how you prefer it. Add the chicken and cabbage and continue to cook for five more minutes.
Add lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to balance the acidity. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in half the chopped parsley. Serve garnished with parsley, lemon zest, pinch chilli flakes and a little grated Parmesan!
Do You Have To Cook The Chicken Ahead Of Time
You do not have to use pre-cooked chicken to make low carb chicken soup. In fact I used to always start my soup with raw chicken because thats what I thought I was supposed to do.
However, using cooked chicken is a quicker way to make keto chicken soup and now I usually prefer doing it that way.
Feel free to start with raw chicken when you are not in a hurry to get dinner on the table. Allow an extra hour or so if you use boneless raw chicken. If the chicken has bones in it, allow an extra 2 hours in order to get the chicken cooked and then time to take the meat off the bones.
Read Also: Original Sloppy Joe Recipe Key West
Does Chicken Broth Kick You Out Of Keto
Chicken broth is generally low in carbs so it will not kick you out of keto. Just a hint, read the label just to make sure before buying it in case there are any additional ingredients that are not keto-friendly.
You can also make your own broth naturally by cooking your own chicken in the pot. By simmering it for a couple hours, you will be starting off your soup with a lot of flavor.
What To Look For When Searching For Keto Canned Soup
Unfortunately, a lot of popular soup brands have high amounts of sodium, sugar, and preservatives. Thats not the case across the board, but generally speaking, youll always want to double-check the label, even when you are pretty sure its a safe flavor like broccoli cheese.
Here are some tips for finding keto-friendly soups:
You May Like: Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole Campbells
Tips Tricks & Variations
- Quality of broth matters! Whenever possible, I recommend making your own to really maximize flavor. I like to use my Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth.
- Finish the soup with a squeeze of lemon juice to add brightness and bring together the salty, rich flavors.
- To make it spicy, add some crushed red pepper or a little cayenne.
- For a creamy soup, add in ½ cup heavy cream or 3 ounces diced cream cheese.
- For a non-traditional twist, top with shredded cheddar.
Also Check: Campbells Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
How To Make Keto Chicken Soup Instant Pot & Pressure Cooker Instructions
Also Check: Pillsbury Crescent Rolls Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Why Soups & Stews Are The Perfect Keto Food
Carolyn points out that soups and stews are actually the perfect Keto food.
- Theyre simple, easy and adaptable. If youre new to the Keto diet or cooking in general soups are a great place to start. Dont have this or want to add a little more of that.. go for it.
- Theyre economical. The Keto diet can be expensive with its emphasis on organic protein, but soups and stews allow you to stretch your ingredients.
- Theyre quick. There are not many pre-made convenience foods available on the Keto diet, but many soups and stews can be ready in under 40 minutes making them the perfect weeknight dinner.
- Theyre great for meal-prep and make ahead meals. Make them ahead and then pack them up for the perfect lunch on the go.
- Theyre scalable. Have a big family double the recipe. Cooking for just yourself then make half. Most of these recipes can be adjusted very easily.
- Theyre accessible. No weird ingredients youve never heard of or will never be able to find. Youll be familiar with all of the ingredients, which will be really comforting when you are adjusting your nutritional plan.
- Theyre healthy. This is the most important one. All of these recipes are chock-full of beneficial nutrients. Especially if you make your own broth!
Best Spices For Chicken Soup
The ideal spices for chicken soup are going to be mild and have a hint of sweetness. I used garlic, oregano, and thyme. Fresh herbs always have the boldest flavor, so use them whenever you are able to.
If you still think your soup is a tad too bland, just add a pinch more salt to it. Salt enhances the natural flavors in the meat and herbs.
Poultry seasoning is another no-brainer spice that people love to add to chicken soup. Or brighten it up with a splash of lemon juice. Finally, a dash of red pepper flakes will spice up the soup without overtaking it.
Keto Chinese Hot And Sour Soup Ingredients:
You can find the exact amounts needed on the recipe card at the end of this post!
This section is where I give specific recommendations or more in-depth instructions regarding the ingredients needed for this recipe.
Boiling chicken breasts can be a bit tricky because they can dry out and become rubbery. I prefer fattier parts of the chicken with the skin.
Read the instructions on the packaging if you use dried shiitake mushrooms and adjust accordingly. Some brands require shorter rehydration times of only 30 minutes while others require even longer times + additional boiling of the mushrooms.
Also Check: Campbell Soup Recipes With Rice