My Favorite Variations Of This Soup
This veggie soup has lots of possible variations. Here are a few of my favorites:
Add more protein by adding cooked or canned beans white beans, chickpeas, and black beans would be excellent.
For a soup with pasta, add pasta about 10 minutes before the soup has finished cooking. Try adding tortellini like in this tortellini soup.
Make it creamy and add a splash of cream, milk, or unsweetened dairy-free milk like coconut. You can also stir in a little bit of unsweetened yogurt or sour cream. We do something similar in this creamy veggie soup as well as in this broccoli cheddar soup.
We love the combination of ground fennel, garlic, and red pepper flakes, but you can use other spices. Try Italian seasoning, Zaatar spice blend, Cajun seasoning, an Indian spice blend like curry powder, or chili powder .
Add in some extra veggies. The number of vegetables you add to the soup is up to you. Feel free to toss in a handful of other vegetables like cauliflower, summer squash, or corn.
How To Make Tortellini Soup
We love using tortellini when making soup since they cook quickly and are delicious. I usually buy cheese-filled pasta for this soup recipe, but you can use whatever you love. Consider spinach, sausage, chicken, and even vegan fillings. Most are available in larger grocery stores here in the US.
Making tortellini soup is simple.
Weve shared the full, detailed recipe below, but here is a brief rundown of how to make it:
Cook chopped onions and carrots until they start to soften. Then, stir in lots of minced garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and chopped zucchini.
We add these ingredients after cooking the onions and carrots for a bit since they need less time in the pan. Follow up with stock or broth I use vegetable broth and cook until the veggies are tender.
Stir in the tortellini and a generous amount of torn kale leaves, and then cook for a few minutes. You will know it is done when the kale has wilted down and the pasta is cooked.
Finish by seasoning to taste and, if you like creamy soups, add a splash of cream or non-dairy milk. I also love throwing in a handful of chopped fresh herbs if I have them in the kitchen. Fresh dill or parsley are both delicious in this soup.
And thats it, simple, tasty tortellini soup. Its the best!
Japanese Enoki And Shiitake Mushroom Soup
The Spruce / Stephanie Goldfinger
Japanese enoki and shiitake mushroom soup is undeniably delicious and comforting. The addition of glass or cellophane noodles adds volume to the simple stock base, while soy sauce and sake add a lovely seasoning, and earthy mushrooms contribute rich depth of flavor.
Read Also: French Onion Soup With Mushrooms
How To Make Tomato Pasta Soup
Just a few simple steps to create this simple soup recipe! Heres a quick overview:
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3-4 days. This soup can be reheated in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
Leftovers also freeze well. This recipe can be added to silicone freezer containers or mason jars and stored in the freezer up to 4-5 months. Thaw in the fridge 1-2 days then reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Hearty Easy 3 Ingredient Chili
Soup recipes that require very few ingredients are a true lifesaver for nights when you’re short on time. This hearty chili soup is a perfect option.
All you have to do is simmer ground beef, chili beans, and seasoned diced tomatoes in a large pot for 30 minutes, and voila …your tasty, hearty soup is ready! Feel free to top with sour cream, cilantro, or fresh herbs of your choice.
It’s incredibly delicious served with a grilled cheese sandwich or cornbread muffins.
Tender chunks of chicken, flavorful broth, protein-rich chili beans topped with tortilla chips – what’s not to like? This has to be one of the most soothing and comforting soup recipes out there.
It comes together in just 20 minutes, making it a great backup plan for any dinner.
This is not your typical broccoli soup recipe. It is a healthy low-fat soup that gets its creamy, melty kick from evaporated skim milk. It’s vegan-friendly and bursting with flavor from the broth, hot sauce, and garlic.
You can add cheddar at the end of cooking for a more silky mouthfeel – yummy!
Don’t Miss: Ceramic Soup Mug With Lid
Should You Make Broth From Scratch
Homemade broth isnt necessary but worth the effort! says Morningstar.
I like to keep a freezer bag of kitchen scraps like bones from cooked chicken or beef, onions and garlic skins, the discarded bits of celery and carrots and fresh herbs that are past their prime. When its full, toss everything in a stockpot with water and boil between 2 and 24 hours.
Adding Extra Flavor Herbs And Spices To Add
This soup has a mild seasoning blend to it which I prefer but you can definitely add more herb flavor or spices to taste. Heres a few ideas of what you could add:
- Fresh or dried herbs such as basil, thyme, oregano or marjoram.
- Dried herb blends such as Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence.
- Red pepper flakes will add a spicy kick.
- Paprika or a curry powder.
- Add a parmesan rind and simmer.
Don’t Miss: Joe’s Home Of Soup Dumplings Nyc
Chicken Soup For The Soul Recipes
- Chicken Tortilla Soup. Hearty chicken tortilla soup is a delicious, wholesome and filling soup that you can make in about 30 minutes, packed with classic Mexican flavours.
- Turkey Wild Rice Soup. Wholesome hearty one pot leftover turkey wild rice soup can be adapted easily for chicken instead of turkey. Its the most comforting way to use any leftover chicken or a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- White Chicken Chili. White chicken chili is an easy and delicious one pot meal made with shredded chicken, hearty veggies, and a creamy broth thats loaded with flavor.
- Chicken and Rice Soup. Chicken and rice soup is delicious, warm, cozy, and comforting feel-good meal that can warm you up on a chilly day. Easy to make in one pot.
- White Chicken Lasagna Soup. White chicken lasagna soup is a thick and creamy soup version of this classic Italian dish. Its quick and easy to make in just 30 minutes.
Summer And Spring Soups With Fresh Flavors
- Tomato Basil Soup. Homemade tomato basil soup is comforting, rich, and smooth. This cozy soup is easy, flavourful, and nourishing, making it so much better than canned.
- Creamless Cream of Asparagus Soup. Take advantage of in-season asparagus this spring and savour its flavour in a delicious and smooth, creamless cream of asparagus soup.
- Lobster Bisque. Homemade lobster bisque is rich and creamy, loaded with seafood flavor, and delicious. Serve this quick and easy soup with soft bread for lunch or dinner.
- Creamy Tomato Potato Soup. Make this silky smooth and creamy tomato potato soup in under 25 minutes. This gluten-free vegan soup is healthy and filling and the easiest weeknight meal.
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. Roasted red pepper and tomato soup is silky smooth, incredibly flavorful and delicious, and easy to make. This vegan soup is healthy and nutritious too.
- Spinach and Green Pea Soup. The greenest and most vibrant spinach and green pea soup is extremely healthy, nutrient-dense and packed with flavour. Make a pot of this soup today.
You May Like: Gluten Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup Can
Raw Vegan Cream Of Broccoli Soup
The Spruce / Diana Chistruga
Even raw food diet skeptics may be tempted to try our no-cook cream of broccoli soup. Raw cashews blend with broccoli to create an ultra-creamy texture, while a medley of fresh or dried herbs and spices create that classic canned soup flavor you remember from childhood. Best of all, it is a breeze to blend up in your food processor, and is seriously nutritious.
Why Make Soup In The Instant Pot
While I have many instant pot recipes, soup tends to be one of the easiest dinners to make!
- You can caramelize the onions right in the Instant Pot! No need to use the stove at all.
- The soup takes just 20 minutes of prep work and its ready to eat in 45 minutes.
- Pressure cooking helps the flavors mingle and meld for an even better tasting onion soup.
- Generates less heat than the stove. Perfect for year-round cooking!
This Instant Pot French Soup is delicious as a starter for a 3-course dinner or as a meal all on its own.
The savory beef broth and caramelized onions are topped with a gooey layer of melted cheese and, of course, a toasty slice of sourdough bread. I could eat this soup every single day and not get tired of it!
Recommended Reading: Soup Kitchen Volunteer San Diego
Rice And Vegetable Aash With Puy Lentils
To say that aash is merely a soup would be underselling it this hearty staple of Persian cuisine is always herb-based but there are many varieties: some with meat, some with barley, rice, tomato or pomegranate molasses. Its the best comfort food on a cold day. This is Sabrina Ghayour’s Western version but still every bit as delicious.
Favorite Autumn Soup Recipes
In Chicago, soup season lasts from September towell, way later than it should. I make soup recipes the whole way through, but I especially crave them now, in the heart of autumn. These 4 easy soup recipes are my favorites at this time of year. Theyre cozy, comforting, and filled with aromatic flavor from herbs like rosemary, sage, and thyme.
If you see a bunch of beautiful fall leeks at the farmers market or store, snatch them up to make this recipe. Its a lighter version of the classic soup, made with blended white beans instead of heavy cream.
Also Check: Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup Walmart
The Dad Add: Cheesy Toast Dippers
Tossing a handful of crackers next to this soup is easy and delicious, but if you have the time, these toasts are the ideal side. I like to use a sturdy baguette and top the slices generously with olive oil and Parmesan cheese. As they bake, the bread gets toasted, and the cheese turns into a crispy lid on top of each slice.
If you do it right, the toasts are super crunchy, and you need to dip them in the soup to soften them up a bit! These are fine for kids as well, so feel free to toss them on a plate. My kids preferred normal crackers, though.
Add Flour Or Cornstarch
If youre not a fan of the extra flavor yogurt brings to the soup, try a neutral-flavored thickening agent like flour or cornstarch.
Want to save this blog post? Enter your email below and we’ll send the article straight to your inbox!
What I love about this method for adding creaminess to a soup is that it doesnt alter the taste.
Now, you want creamy soup but not lumpy soup so be careful when adding flour or cornstarch!
This will require some extra cooking time. Put your soup on low to medium heat and slowly add in your thickening agent of choice.
Be sure to stir continuously so that your flour or cornstarch is fully dissolved in the liquid.
This is one of the easiest ways to get that thick and creamy consistency that makes soup so comforting.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes
Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe
Vegetable soup doesnt have to be bland and boring. This recipe is so hearty and delicious, youll hardly realize its vegetarian. Its a comforting, feel-good soup and tastes so much better than canned or store-bought.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Whether youre trying to watch your figure or sneakily slip more veggies into your kids diets, look no further than this homemade vegetable soup recipe. Get your deepest soup bowls ready, because youre about to have your entire household wondering what that delicious aroma is wafting from the kitchen.
Recipe Variations For This Lentil Soup
- Vegetarian. You can make this a vegetarian recipe with a couple of simple tweaks. Omit the bacon and instead sauté the vegetables in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Instead of the chicken stock, use vegetable broth .
- Add Sausage. Add a pound of Italian sausage without casings to the soup. Youll need to brown the meat in a skillet and drain off the fat before adding it to the soup pot.
- Use Ham. Simmer the soup with a meaty ham bone or ham hock for plenty of rich, smoky flavor. When done, chop the meat from the bone and stir it into the soup .
- Skip the Puree. I like to puree a small amount of the soup to give the dish a thicker, creamier texture. If you dont have an immersion blender, or if you just dont want to bother with this step, thats fine. The soup will still be delicious!
Note: Recipes submitted by our trusted contributors are created and tested in their kitchens.
Read Also: Where Can I Buy Vichyssoise Soup
No Matter The Season We Have A Quick Soup For That
The Spruce / Diana Chistruga
Soups are a winter staple, but they are just as wonderful in the spring and summer. And while cooking soups in the crock pot is great, sometimes you want soup on the table in a hurry. These quick soup recipes will let you serve your family in less time than it takes to go through the drive-through window! Many are kid-friendly, making them perfect for packing in a thermos for school lunches or freezing for a quick family dinner on busy weeknights.
How To Make Vegetable Soup
What I love about this soup is that it comes together in one pot and its super easy to make. With minimal mess and maximum flavor, you cant get much better than that. Follow the simple steps below to be well on your way to a comforting bowl of veggie soup.
You May Like: Recipes Using Campbell’s Cream Of Bacon Soup
A Few Of Our Favorite Soup Pots
- If you’re looking to splurge, a good dutch oven is one of our all time favorites.
- For something a little less expensive we love a good cast iron pot. Plus, it’s great to take camping!
- If you’e looking for a pop of color, but don’t want to break the bank. We love these fun enamel pots!
- Are you a minimalist? We love the sleek design of this pot that is meant to be left out.
- When it comes to stainless steel All-Clad takes the cake.
- If you’re looking to upgrade to non-stick, this is our favorite set and it includes a nice soup pot!
- Don’t have an instant pot? Can we persuade you?
- Every home needs a good slow-cooker. Trust us.
Vegetarian Barley And Vegetable Soup
Using budget-friendly ingredients, you can cook up a hearty soup to accompany your lunchtime sandwich, or pack into a thermos on colder days. This simple and satisfying soup is suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets, and is full of great nutrition and flavor from barley, carrots, cabbage, zucchini, canned tomatoes, and Italian seasonings.
Chicken soup avgolemono is an iconic Greek soup. Eggs thicken the chicken soup base, and fresh lemon juice adds brightness . Small orzo pasta, onion, carrot, and celery round out the soup ingredients. You will also end up with a pile of poached chicken meat, which you can repurpose for sandwiches, casseroles, or salads.
Continue to 17 of 30 below.
Also Check: Well Yes Chicken Tortilla Soup
Why We Think This Is The Best Vegetable Soup
When were looking for a comforting meal packed with vegetables, this easy veggie soup is where we turn. Its made with a light tomato broth and adapts to all seasons. Feel free to use any seasonal vegetables you have on hand. This soup is so good, you will want a batch in the freezer at all times. Its perfect for busy nights as well as when we feel weve over-indulged.
Here are a few reasons we love this vegetable soup recipe:
- This vegetable-packed soup is easy to make and tastes incredible.
- There are no fancy ingredients and everything needed is affordable.
- You can take advantage of seasonal ingredients. Use fresh tomatoes in late summer or try hardy squashes in winter.
- Its healthy, comforting, and completely vegetarian .
- It keeps well and tastes better the next day, making it perfect to pack for lunches or make ahead for dinner tomorrow night. Leftover soup will last about three days in the refrigerator.
- You can freeze it up to a month, if not more!